Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LED TV Offerings

• 05-01-2011 1:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,112 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Guys

Looking into LED TVs at the moment as they now appear to be popping up across the larger Chains nationwide.

Obvious benefits are the slimer profile, lightweight, electricity reduction.

What in your opinion are the 'good value' options out there in this type of range. And why?

: Lister

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭homer911

You'll need to be a bit more specific: Models change all the time, what size are you looking for? where do you plan to get your signal from? Are you located in range of DTT?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I picked up a 46" Samsung LED with saorview for €799 in DID Electrical,same set is €999 in Powercity and €1200 in Currys.
    A bargain (if you can call 800 quid a bargain)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Please!

They are LED backlit LCD TVs. There are also OLED TVs (small) and real LED TVs (enormous).

There are different types of LED backlight:
    • "White"* LEDs Around the Edge. Cheap, not very bright or even, poorer than CFL, but thiner.
    • "White"* LEDs all over the back . More even. thin. May be poorer colour than CFL, but thiner. More expensive ones have control to dim areas separately to make darks darker.
    • R, G, and B LEDs all over the back. More even. thin. Usually better colour than CFL, and thiner. Often has control to dim areas separately to make darks darker.
    • R, G, and B LEDs in strips to match LCD stripes. More even. thin. Always better colour than CFL, and thiner. Has control to dim areas separately to make darks darker. Very much brighter, very very expensive.

*"White" LEDs don't exist. They are Violet/near UV with a coating to add other colours and approximate White. The Coatings work differently to the ones in CFL lamps as they have more energetic UVA and UVB as well as violet.

Most "LED" backlit LCDs are too thin for decent speakers. You need external speaker/HiFi.

For same brightness and size there is little or no energy reduction.

Approximately:
    LG 42" CFL backlit LCD TV = €470
    LG 42" LED backlit LCD TV = €500

Only get a model compatible with Irish Digital. http://www.saortv.info/2011/01/05/aso-in-less-than-two-years/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,112 ✭✭✭✭listermint

All good answers, thank you.

42 Inch, Sky SD input.

The detail above on differing LEDs is great stuff, appreciate it. Admitedly I have done minimal research bar trawling some reviews online. And i have viewed mainly Samsung models in HN and Currys.

Well. The 42" LG 42LD450 is good on Sky SD via SCART and even better via aerial for Irish TV. 42" LG 42LE450 (I think?) is LED backlit version, only advantage if wall mounting. Both in Currys slightly below price mentioned. Very good sets.

The upscaling on SCART and Component is superior to HDMI out DVD and SD sat boxes I've seen.
    VHS -> Composite
    DVD -> Component
    Sky -> SCART
    laptop -> HDMI 1
    Media PC -> HDMI 2
    Internal DTT Tuner: 6 Irish TV (RTE part time HD) + 10 Radio
    VGA also works 1920 x1080p60 or 1600x1200 60Hz.

HDMI is 24p, 30i60, 25i50, 50p and 60p modes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Be aware that some of these very thin TVs have non-standard "SCART" - ie not a SCART. Needs an adapter (should be supplied with TV) to convert from SCART lead. If not supplied could cost you up to €20 - ie more than a good quality SCART lead itself.

Samsung LED backlight for sure.

Didn't look at LED backlight LG (LE series). Not Sure. The LG LD series (CFL backlight) has a regular SCART. But only one of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I have a Samsung LED wall mounted and I'm very happy with it. Built-in satellite receiver on my model, so no external Sky box needed (only now/next data though). Shame Samsung don't make Freesat TVs. :(

It was supplied with a SCART adapter for connecting to a non-HDMI equipped device.

Unless wall mounting, a standard LCD would be a better choice and a few quid cheaper.

As JDxtra stated the Samsung comes with any cable you could ever need with all the adaptors etc.
    It's the higher spec model that I picked up for the €799-proper LED.They have a smaller screen also 40" I think for less than €700,was gona get that one until I spotted the larger screen.Also has port for lan/internet connection.
    I plugged my external hard drive directly into one of the usb ports and it played every type of video file I tried from AVI to MKV and H.264.
    Just depends on what kind of money you're willing to spend.Try and get highest spec for lowest price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,112 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Quality!

Thanks guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

JDxtra wrote: »
    I have a Samsung LED wall mounted and I'm very happy with it. Built-in satellite receiver on my model, so no external Sky box needed (only now/next data though). Shame Samsung don't make Freesat TVs. :(

coming soon... apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

I'm reading this with interest - great info. Hope the OP doesn't mind if I bring 32" into the discussion.

I too am in the market for a telly to receive Saorview and Freeview channels (Freeview via separate HD satellite receiver unless someone can point me at a TV with integrated sat receiver). And of course to watch DVD and BluRay films. Am looking for a 32", have been reading through the CCFL vs LED backlighting (edgelighting?) debate, and have decided that regular CCFL-lit LCD is fine for me.

Was thinking of the Samsung LE 32C530 for €400, but am interested in the comments on the LG 42LD450. Would the 32" version of the LG (32LD450 - €370) be equally good picture-wise as it's big brother? Any thoughts on the relative merits of LG vs Samsung for 32" LCD?

A thought that just occurred to me - do the EPGs give a 7-day view for Saorview or are they just now/next type?

I am also mindful of viewing angles. In another room we have a Sony KDL 32S3000, a few years old now, which is fine except for the restrictive angle of view - if I am at an angle of 30 degrees or more from the screen, it greys out dramatically. Can I expect a wider viewing angle on the LG or Samsung models?

I need to hit the shops to look at the different models (haven't had a chance so far) and would like to be well briefed before I go, so would appreciate any info.

The LG 42LD450 is very good. The only advantage of most LED backlight LCDs unless x4 price is thinner, which makes sound very poor. So usually CFL is a better choice. Only the R, G & B 1000s of LEDs backlight are better. No energy saving.

The LG 42LD450 had no video playback on ours, though in Manual. Fixed: http://www.techtir.ie/howto/enable-42ld450-video-playback

The LG 42LD450 is good for more than 30 degrees sideways. Maybe 30 degrees up/down. Which isn't an issue. It seems to be properly compatible to Saorview with Ireland as Country and Text Data set to MHEG5 (still does Teletext on channels with no specified MHEG5, but with Teletext such as TV3 and TG4, which is correct).

It's 7 day EPG with scheduling and should support MPEG5 EPG if it's transmitted.

Don't go for 42LD490 as it seems to be slightly less compatible, though it will do NI HD after 2012 for those near border.

Better with a Satellite PVR "Freesat HD", cheaper than extra cost of sat tuner in TV.

I'd recommend 42" as a minimum for average living room for HD and is good compromise size for non-HD content.

The LG 42LD450 should be €450 to €490

Great thanks watty - will put it top of the shortlist. And will blame you when I arrive home with a 42" telly having gone out to buy a 32"!

If I get a Freesat HD PVR, I assume I won't be able to record the Saorview channels to that - I don't see anywhere that the LG TV has an output of the decoded signal... Is that the case? Then I'd need one of those combo Freesat/DTT PVRs I suppose.

It may output downconverted SD analogue on the SCART. I will check.
    The Freesat PVR only records from Dish. But if the PVR has diseqc you could add a small second dish for Saorsat. (Not all Freesat models have Diseqc).

In theory the LG custom comunity could add USB HDD recording. The TV runs "Saturn" distribution of Linux for MIPS based TVs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Was thinking of the LG 42LD450 like Watty was reccomending. That or the 40" Sony KDL40EX401 here http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-13-40E401 . I'm leaning towards the LG, even though it had only 2 hdmi connections, and one scart. However, what are LG's like for build quality? Are they a good make? Or is the Sony a better bet?

Samsung, LG, Sony about equal top makes

The xxLD450 has digital comb filter so even the composite input is near RGB quality. We use the component input for DVD
    Composite = VHS
    RGB SCART = Sky box
    Component = DVD (interlaced, the progressive mode on the DVD player only works proper on NTSC region discs)
    HDMI 1 = laptop
    HMDI 2 = Media PC with 2x HD Sat cards and GT210 graphics 1080p 50
    VGA = option PC/laptop up to 1920 x 1080 p 60 or 1600x1200 @60Hz.

Thanks Watty. Planning on using the VGA with the PC. I'm happy to buy the LG once I know it's not an unreliable bucket of C rap

Note the VGA input doesn't 50Hz. So for PC Satellite Tuner you need a graphics card with DVI (virtually all work with HDMI adaptor, but may not have HDCP or audio) or HDMI.

If it's games, Web browser, NTSC DVDs etc, then the 60Hz VGA is fine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Are Bush a good make of TV??

Or are Hanspree TV,s any good

Argos seem to be doing quite good deals on Bush LCD and LED TVs at the moment.

DID are selling alot of Hanspree TVs at cheaper than normal prices.And I see that all the Spar and EuroSpar shops all use Hanspree TVs too,usually with Sky News on them in the shop

Half thinking of a 26 inch for the spare living room,so that the kids can watch their cartoons or play their games on it.

• Advertisement

Bush are a label. Insides can be Vestel or Chinese I think. IMO Bottom of barrel brand. Are any even compatible? See this list http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056096032

Check the new Argos catalogue, not the web site. It's alleged to identify which are Compatible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

watty wrote: »
    Bush are a label. Insides can be Vestel or Chinese I think. IMO Bottom of barrel brand. Are any even compatible? See this list http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056096032

Check the new Argos catalogue, not the web site. It's alleged to identify which are Compatible.

How do you rate Hanspree TVs then?

DID are selling alot of them,and all the Spar and EuroSpar shops have Hanspree TVs installed,usually with Sky News on them.

Are they any use??

Note the VGA input doesn't 50Hz. So for PC Satellite Tuner you need a graphics card with DVI (virtually all work with HDMI adaptor, but may not have HDCP or audio) or HDMI.

If it's games, Web browser, NTSC DVDs etc, then the 60Hz VGA is fine.

All I'd be doing is playing my movie files from the pc, using the TV to watch them. Doing that at the mo on a 28" thru a scart, and we watch satellite thru a sky box. The PC does have a DVI, and does work with hdmi, but not audio. But since I have cables running to the tv for sound as it is, that shouldn't be a problem

Based on the discussion here, I've gone and bought a 32LD450 from Currys (€370). I wimped out on the size, but having got it home, the 32" is actually perfect for the room.

Very impressed with the telly :) - the Saorview channels look very sharp and the picture from the (non-HD) Sky box is pretty good too. Blu-Ray through HDMI input looks top-notch (but as an aside, I do wonder if it's worth the extra € for the discs over plain ol' DVD). Interestingly, am picking up the Saorview channels crystal clear with a rabbit's ears behind the telly, even though the analog channels with the same antenna are quite poor.

It looks like there are lots of tweaks possible with the picture - noise, sharpness, colour etc. - would be interested if anyone has improved their setup over the defaults.

One thing that I'm very unimpressed with is that Currys tried very hard to sell me a HDMI cable for €50 (list price €90!) :eek:. The fact that they (and I know they are not the only ones) are selling cables that have a list price that amounts to a quarter of the price of the TV is beyond belief. For those who are not aware, because HDMI is digital, the traditional issues with analog cables are not an issue with HDMI, and unless the cable was built by elves with wooden mallets, or unless you are running the cable more than 10 metres, the cheapest cable that meets the spec will do. There are many posts about this on the web, including here on boards, that go into great detail on this. €10-€15 will get you a good HDMI cable.

So well done Currys on selling a good TV at a good price, but shame on you and others for pushing cables that are way more expensive than people need and have no value over cables one tenth of the cost.

My son bought a LG 42LD450
    Couple of useful links that should apply to 32LD450 also!

0.75m €7 cable extended to over 8m using 2 x Cat5e Screened. http://www.techtir.ie/howto/hdmi-via-cat5-cable
    I have the IR remote putting PC to standby and the Wireless Mouse waking it. Technique probably good to over 15m, 48'

This isn't needed if you connect a Media PC via HDMI:
    Enabling video playback http://www.techtir.ie/howto/enable-42ld450-video-playback

HMV does a 1.5m HDMI cable for about €12. The plugs are fat so it didn't fit properly into PC graphic card HDMI socket due to case recess for i/o cards. Works fine on laptop and via DVI adaptor.

Click.ie also has €10 HDMI 1.5m cables occasionally. They keep going out of stock.

Cat5e cable is as cheap as chips. Essentially HDMI has 4x twisted pairs and about 7 ordinary wires. Even a 3m one is cheaper to make than a bargain bin SCART or VGA cable!

They either work or don't unlike poor SCART or poor VGA where you get smear, ghosts and/or crosstalk (video hum on audio, Video in faint on video out) is badly made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭faw1tytowers

MediaMan wrote: »
    Great thanks watty - will put it top of the shortlist. And will blame you when I arrive home with a 42" telly having gone out to buy a 32"!

If I get a Freesat HD PVR, I assume I won't be able to record the Saorview channels to that - I don't see anywhere that the LG TV has an output of the decoded signal... Is that the case? Then I'd need one of those combo Freesat/DTT PVRs I suppose.

I was under the impression we dont get freeview in ireland?

Great answeres Watty (no need to ask how you got your name) :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

paddy147 wrote: »
    How do you rate Hanspree TVs then?

DID are selling alot of them,and all the Spar and EuroSpar shops have Hanspree TVs installed,usually with Sky News on them.

Are they any use??
    Rubbish don't go near them.

Didn't want to start a new thread just for this,if anyone is looking for wall brackets for their flat screen tv's or hdmi leads Lidl have them tomorrow 3/2/2011.They also have 32" full HD Mpeg4 compatible tv's for €299

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20110203.p.LCD_Plasma_TV_Wall_Bracket

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20110203.p.HDMI_Cable

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20110203.p.32inch_Full_HD_LCD_TV

A similar wall bracket is nearly €100 in Currys.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

zerks wrote: »
    Didn't want to start a new thread just for this,if anyone is looking for wall brackets for their flat screen tv's or hdmi leads Lidl have them tomorrow 3/2/2011.They also have 32" full HD Mpeg4 compatible tv's for €299

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20110203.p.LCD_Plasma_TV_Wall_Bracket

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20110203.p.HDMI_Cable

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20110203.p.32inch_Full_HD_LCD_TV

A similar wall bracket is nearly €100 in Currys.
    That's a good price for a tilting bracket (though I think €100 is a bit ambitious of Currys, unless that was just one brand you saw and they may have more eg. Vogel's brand are known to be quite expensive).

• Advertisement
Advertisement