Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do I need to know!?

Options
  • 05-01-2011 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭

I didn't ever think I would get on the property ladder but a reasonably priced cottage(70k) that I like is for sale near me.I am happy with the condition of it and plan on getting it checked out but what other hidden costs am I likely to run into because I will have to beg,borrow and steal and then beg a little more to get the purchase price together!
    so I don't want lots of extra fees like solicitors fees to make this option unviable?
    or anything else that I need to be aware of?
    thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Are you going to have to 'beg, borrow, and steal' to get the 70k, or just to get a deposit for a mortgage on the place?

If you're happy with the price, intend to live in the place for at least ten years, and (assuming you're getting a mortgage), think you can afford the repayments if interest rates go up by 2-3%, go for it.

If you are not 100% sure on any of this, then do not buy now.

Costs wise you'll be paying anywhere from 1k to 2k for a solicitor (probably), couple of hundred for a survey, there'll be a few other bits here and there, prob another few hundred, no way of knowing without more details.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Stamp duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

ESB connection, phone line connection, gas (?)

Also, don't forget about building insurance.

Advertisement