Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HMV to close 60 stores (Irish stores affected as well)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭whiteonion

Why would anyone spend money on music when you can get it for free? Youtube, Spotify, Grooveshark... HELLO!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

whiteonion wrote: »
    Why would anyone spend money on music when you can get it for free? Youtube, Spotify, Grooveshark... HELLO!
    TANSTAAFL

Nevore wrote: »
    TANSTAAFL

In this case it's free AND legal. So why should I pay for music? I consider it to be stupid and it goes against my principles of not paying for free stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Ali Babba

What's TANSTAAFL and what's the site address?

Ali Babba wrote: »
    What's TANSTAAFL and what's the site address?

It means there ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

In this case it's free AND legal. So why should I pay for music? I consider it to be stupid and it goes against my principles of not paying for free stuff.
    Its not free. Its paid for with advertising revenue.
    But that's beside the point. Most people aren't going to have, for example, an integrated sound system hooked to their pc so if they want music on at a party etc, they need a cd, or an mp3 with tracks on it etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 rubabbel

Waterstones, another company which overcharges and has ripped us off for years

Really? check the RRP on the back of books, and I guarantee Waterstone's/Hodges will be selling them for cheaper than their competitors. Working as a rep, you get to know which stores have the 'interesting' exchange rates. They're all bad, but Waterstone's is the best. This doesn't apply to special offers, but Waterstone's especially has more than enough 1/2 price, money off offers to compare favourably with Eason's. Chapters dirt cheap books are great value, and there's a huge amount of them, but it doesn't apply to range, so they're still more expensive if you're actually going to buy the book you wanted to in the first place.

I remember going to the closing down sale in Borders Blanchardstown where everything was half price, but the RRP was so high, you were really only getting a third off. This applies to Reeds on Nassau street, with their 10% off everything, but a rip off RRP.

If you're not shopping online and getting things for next-to-nothing (from places that don't have to pay rates, rents, wages etc) it's best to shop around. And comparing places that have to pay all these things with internet warehouses isn't really comparing like-with-like. Shops like Hodges who don't discount and concentrate on having a HUGE selection of books are still making LOADS of money.

And if you are buying books from internet retailers for nothing, remember that eventually this will only apply to the Dan Browns in a couple of years. Such is the way of the music industry will eventually apply to books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭bnt

More news via the BBC: record companies in the UK have been told they can't get credit insurance on products shipped to HMV. In effect, they're being told not to sell to HMV on credit, but to get the cash on delivery: they're pulling up the floor under HMV. But the article says some suppliers are going to keep trading anyway, since the alternative is no more HMV.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

HMV never has anything worthy really, DVD's for 15.99 are like 4 quid in xtra vision.. its daylight robbery in there sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Don't know about anyone else, but if I like an artist I still like to have a physical cd and more importantly, the booklet that comes with the album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

Personally I think for Cd's to go the way of the dinosaur would be awful!!! The sound quality of a CD on an expensive sound system trumps an illegally downloaded file any day!

Just went into HMV in galway today to browse and went upstairs to find theyre now selling blu rays @ 2 for 22 euro!!! I remember when they first started selling blu rays in early 2008 you could get 2 for 40 euro. Nice to see theyre coming down to earth re:prices!

Let's hope it stays that way

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭edwood

Went into my local HMV to take a look yesterday and they have this boxset of Dark Angel season 2 for €49.99 and you can buy it off Amazon.co.uk (including delivery) for €18.16 I guess I know where I shall be picking this one up. Wow just wow. Crazy price difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Zombie thread rises!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭cosmicfart

Now people, here is the proof that illegal downloading of music and films is not a victim less crime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

cosmicfart wrote: »
    Now people, here is the proof that illegal downloading of music and films is not a victim less crime.

Victim less crime plus grammar nazi = profit?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Maybe this closure will stop all them independent music shops shutting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Oh no, love HMV. Its been around since I were younger. I hope the HMV Stores in the cities be ok at least. Love shopping there despite downloading music off itunes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

You've tesco, dunnes and heatons getting into the CD and DVD market too so they be slightly cheaper than HMV. I find Xtra vision a bit expensive though. HMV is better value than xtra vision I find any ways. Tis cheaper to get Dvd's and CD's online or just download music off a reputable site like itunes where you pay for downloading the tunes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

I still feel rather sad about this news. I remember being a teen back in the 1990s, long before torrents and Iso Hunt etc, and spending, literally, hours browsing through the racks of HMV on Bold Street (Liverpool). The friends and I were just getting into music, and discovering what we liked/disliked, and that marathon browse through HMV was always a highlight. I soon moved on to independant record stores that were dotted about the city, but HMV was still visited on a regular basis. Needless to say, every single one of those independant record stores has long since vanished in a puff of downloaded smoke. But, HMV was the last bastion, and now it seems that that has gone, too. So yeah, I'm still sad in a maudlin, nostalgic kind of way.

mathie wrote: »
    Victim less crime plus grammar nazi = profit?

come again????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Do you think if illegal downloading didn't exist I'd somehow have extra money to spend at HMV?

I'd be buying on Amazon anyway most likely. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

iTunes and other legal download services have killed HMV not piracy.

amacachi wrote: »
    Do you think if illegal downloading didn't exist I'd somehow have extra money to spend at HMV?

I'd be buying on Amazon anyway most likely. :)

yeah well u are just one person arent u, whenever ive been in HMV on grafton street its is always packed

KerranJast wrote: »
    iTunes and other legal download services have killed HMV not piracy.

so piracy has had no impact at all eh? wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

yeah well u are just one person arent u, whenever ive been in HMV on grafton street its is always packed

ERROR: DOES NOT COMPUTE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Yeah but I'm really fat so in a crowd I make its apparent size increase by 3 people.

The only reason places like HMV used to survive was lack of competition and then by the ignorance of their customers. As more people see how overpriced physical shops in Ireland are there'll be a bigger fall-off in sales and footfall before they hit a plateau of the ignorant, impulse-buyers and those who are willing to pay way more so they can thumb through some plastic boxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

...more that charging everything (including articles discounted elsewhere) at full price is not a long term plan for success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

The highstreet media seller can't compete with piracy and legit online sales, expect more of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

A sad day. I used to love trawling through record stores, browsing for ages. iTunes, while convenient, has taken all the fun out of it.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Eh, you do all realise that this is news from last year, yeah??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

come again????

You said "Now people, here is the proof that illegal downloading of music and films is not a victim less crime."

I said "Victim less crime plus grammar nazi = profit? "

Victim less is two words.
    Victimless is what you meant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

you dont need HMV when you have UPC.....and vuze, it would take me longer to find out where hmv are than it would to download an album , the music industry is far from dead, the record shop however is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

You know the end of prohabition made gangster lose their jobs it still didn't mean they were right.

The music labels have and do act like gangsters to this day still stealing money and rights from artists while fleecing customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    The music labels have and do act like gangsters to this day still stealing money and rights from artists while fleecing customers.
    Whatever about the labels, Simon Cowell and this X Factor nonsense takes it to a new extreme. The X Factor winner will only get £150,000 payment for the first album they make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Whatever about the labels, Simon Cowell and this X Factor nonsense takes it to a new extreme. The X Factor winner will only get £150,000 payment for the first album they make.

Far far to much IMHO, I hate the Xfactor.

I remember seeing something about that, the record company, who are a different organisation now, pay for the album, the promotion, the distribution ETC then it recoups that investment by album sales, then the artist gets a cut.

But the risk especially these days with illegal downloads and depressed sales etc is with the record company. The artist gets the promotion and the potential concert revenue.

mathie wrote: »
    You said "Now people, here is the proof that illegal downloading of music and films is not a victim less crime."

I said "Victim less crime plus grammar nazi = profit? "

Victim less is two words.
    Victimless is what you meant.

so u are admitting u r a grammer nazi? u do realise they arent much above the pecking order with regard to trolls and such

amacachi wrote: »
    Yeah but I'm really fat so in a crowd I make its apparent size increase by 3 people.

The only reason places like HMV used to survive was lack of competition and then by the ignorance of their customers. As more people see how overpriced physical shops in Ireland are there'll be a bigger fall-off in sales and footfall before they hit a plateau of the ignorant, impulse-buyers and those who are willing to pay way more so they can thumb through some plastic boxes.

ur big boned son Big boned. Records stores were all the rage in the 90's until the went the way of the dino Vigin mega store Golden discs etc maybe its nostalgia or whatever but certain things are better when u do them in person and not like an automaton over the interweb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Ray Palmer wrote: »

Not just gangsters, but delusional too. Read an article a years or so ago about how the head of EMI or such thought digital downlaod was a "fad" and was working hard to see a resurgence in the sales of cd's.

As for HMV doing fine as its usually bery busy, look at the tills compared to the store. I never seem to have to queue if I am buying something, generally theres 2 or 3 bored looking staff standing talking at the tills. Busy store = potential sales, not guaranteed sales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

HMV is one of the cheapest places on the high street, its great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

cloud493 wrote: »
    HMV is one of the cheapest places on the high street, its great.

buying things on the cheapest place on the high street still means youre paying about 30% too much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Still cheaper. I don't like internet shopping, and I find the staff in HMV are friendly and helpful 99% of the time, and a lot cheaper than anywhere else I could go to thats not online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,088 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

this thread should be closed its from earlier this year and the irish stores are still open!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Bit of a bump.

I've a mate currently looking for work (who doesn't), but he hasn't bothered throwing a CV into HMV as he reckons they're gonna go under and even if there's jobs going, he wouldn't want to be made redundant again.

So what do ye reckon? Worth trying for a job or is the place destined for the drain? (i think he should apply regardless, but there's probably no jobs anyway, think he's just disheartened handing out CVs to no avail).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭johndoe99

they might be in a bit of financial trouble, but HMV will not close down completely.

I can see them closing a number of stores in Ireland eventually. But they'll probably keep the single stores open, like theres only 1 in galway and 1 in kilkenny etc. I'd like to believe they'll only close stores where theres multiples. He should hand his CV in, in the long run, if they did close at least he can alter his CV to include he had experience in HMV.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Even in Dublin Tower has a better selection than HMV.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 363 ✭✭FishBowel

HMV are a joke! Lots of DVDs on their website but never seen these titles in any of their Irish shops.

johndoe99 wrote: »
    they might be in a bit of financial trouble, but HMV will not close down completely.

I can see them closing a number of stores in Ireland eventually. But they'll probably keep the single stores open, like theres only 1 in galway and 1 in kilkenny etc. I'd like to believe they'll only close stores where theres multiples. He should hand his CV in, in the long run, if they did close at least he can alter his CV to include he had experience in HMV.

Cheers for the reply, i'll wave your reply in his face (as he's a non-Boardsie i said i'd pop on and ask).

Yeah, they don't have the best selection of CDs or DVDs compared to their website because the site is serviced out of a huge distribution centre (i'd assume) and has a bigger customer catchment area (anyone with access to the internet/credit card), compared to stores at local level which will only serve the people within the immediate vicinity and have finite shelf space.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

sad to see them close,internet and ipods have truly taken over,its a pity as cd buying is put out of kilter,but the prices are reasonable enough,i still cd buy (probably one of the few left)..

sad to see them close,internet and ipods have truly taken over,its a pity as cd buying is put out of kilter,but the prices are reasonable enough,i still cd buy (probably one of the few left)..

Yeah, tell me about it, i'm tripping over CDs i have that many (and will continue to expand my collection as long as they're around!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Yeah, tell me about it, i'm tripping over CDs i have that many (and will continue to expand my collection as long as they're around!).

Me too! I have two or three friends who still buy them too :) I much prefer them to mp3 downloads, but sadly we're in the minority.

I think HMV are way overpriced for some things - the lack of competition since Virgin Megastores closed has sent the prices up a bit - but I wouldn't want to see them go!! Their Tallaght branch is awful (it's tiny) but the bigger ones are great.

• Advertisement
Advertisement