Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest Place To Buy An iPod Touch 4th Generation in Ireland?

Options
  • 05-01-2011 3:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Where can I buy the new iPod Touch (4th generation) for the best price in Ireland? I want to buy the 64GB one. The cheapest one I have found is here for €352.24 (on shopireland.ie). I want to buy Irish, so don't tell me to go to amazon.co.uk, or amazon.com (who don't ship iPods to Ireland). Please tell me also how much shipping is going to cost (if possible).

Go raibh míle maith agaibh,
    Gaeilge?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Try HMV who before Christmas were giving away vouchers with purchases of iPods. Otherwise I doubt if you'll beat that price in Ireland.

I appreciate your economic patriotism but how do you know shopireland.ie isn't a warehouse operation in France or Romania? The iTouch is made in China and most of the profits end up in the pockets of Apple shareholders, most of whom are US pension funds so I wouldn't have a hangup about where I buy it if I'm not buying it from a bricks and mortar shop in Ireland.

Slan leat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Gaeilge?

coylemj wrote: »
    Try HMV who before Christmas were giving away vouchers with purchases of iPods. Otherwise I doubt if you'll beat that price in Ireland.

Thanks for your reply.
    I appreciate your economic patriotism but how do you know shopireland.ie isn't a warehouse operation in France or Romania?

I realised that that was possible as I posted this, and I have no idea whether it is or not. Reading about it on the site (shopireland.ie/about), it claims to be part of Amazon, in fact, it says it's just displaying the Amazon prices in euro... So maybe it's just the exact same as buying from amazon.co.uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Shopireland.ie is part of Amazon alright. If you really want to keep it local, Argos or HMV will probably be you best bet. Apple goods tend to be around the same price everywhere, but many retailers throw in a freebie with the iPod Touch.

Amazon would be the cheapest though, because of the Sterling difference.

The iTouch is made in China and most of the profits end up in the pockets of Apple shareholders, most of whom are US pension funds so I wouldn't have a hangup about where I buy it if I'm not buying it from a bricks and mortar shop in Ireland.

Good point. :)
    Dman001 wrote: »
    Shopireland.ie is part of Amazon alright. If you really want to keep it local, Argos or HMV will probably be you best bet. Apple goods tend to be around the same price everywhere, but many retailers throw in a freebie with the iPod Touch.

Amazon would be the cheapest though, because of the Sterling difference.

Thanks, any idea what their prices are though? So does that mean that buying from shopireland.ie would be the same as buying from amazon.co.uk?

amazon.com Question:
    Does anyone know why they don't ship to Ireland?? Or if they are likely to start shipping iPods to Ireland? I know they ship other stuff so it just seems unfair to not ship iPods. :(

Does anyone know of any site which will ship iPods to Ireland, and is incredibly cheap? walmart.com and amazon.com are so cheap but they don't ship here. And I know I said I want to buy in Ireland but that was assuming that I can't get one for about 270 euro somewhere else, rather than paying 100-130 euro more than that just to buy it in Ireland or the UK. (I don't think buying in the UK would save me a huge amount of money, which is why I'm not interested in buying there, whereas buying from America would save me 32.5%, or roughly a third. I'm not sure if I can afford this iPod if it will cost me 350 euro or more. :(

Sales:
    When is the price of the iPod Touch likely to drop? Have the prices dropped yet since Christmas? I'm not in a huge rush to get it so I can wait a couple of months if it will mean I save. How soon do iPod prices drop after they are first released? This model was released in September 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Gaeilge? wrote: »
    amazon.com Question:
    Does anyone know why they don't ship to Ireland?? Or if they are likely to start shipping iPods to Ireland? I know they ship other stuff so it just seems unfair to not ship iPods. :(

Don't blame Amazon, Apple seem to have a policy on mail order which means that lots of retailers have their hands tied when it comes to Apple gadgets and mail order. Radio Shack in the US for example will sell you everything from an elephant to an anchor and deliver to your door except Apple devices which on their website are all flagged Instore Only.
    Gaeilge? wrote: »
    Sales:
    When is the price of the iPod Touch likely to drop? Have the prices dropped yet since Christmas? I'm not in a huge rush to get it so I can wait a couple of months if it will mean I save. How soon do iPod prices drop after they are first released? This model was released in September 2010.

There was a one-day reduction in the US on the so-called 'Black Friday', the day after Thanksgiving but the prices went back up on the Saturday and have not changed since.

Apple won't reduce their prices so soon after Christmas, the last thing they want to do is send out a message to the effect that you should not buy in December because the prices may go down in January, they're not that stupid, that's why their market cap. has just gone over the 300 billion mark!

• Advertisement

Don't blame Amazon, Apple seem to have a policy on mail order which means that lots of retailers have their hands tied when it comes to Apple gadgets and mail order.

It's probably because no one would buy from the Irish Apple site if they could get iPods shipped from America. On apple.com, the iPod I want is $400, but on the Irish Apple site it's 400 euro, it's probably just because they can charge that much because loads of people will still pay large amounts for iPods because they're probably the best music players available in the country (or the world, but I think China, Japan, and maybe even Korea would probably beat Apple when it comes to music players).
    Apple won't reduce their prices so soon after Christmas, the last thing they want to do is send out a message to the effect that you should not buy in December because the prices may go down in January, they're not that stupid, that's why their market cap. has just gone over the 300 billion mark!

Ok, I just thought they might because a couple of years ago I bought an iPod Nano for 200 euro, and the price went down to 150 euro in January. I proabably bought it two or three months earlier, but I don't know how long it had been out for. When I bought it I don't think it was long on the market in Ireland, but I'm not too sure.

Plus, when loads of kids want iPods from Santa, most parents aren't going to say no even if the price drops after Christmas, recession or no recession. Unless they really can't afford it, they'll probably pay up for your average spoiled little child.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

IIRC the 16gb ipod touch was less than €200 in dublin airport just after xmas.
    thought it was an unreal price myself,would have bought one if i hadnt the iphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 william buckley

can i get a new ipod 4th in cork citey
    william buckley

Advertisement