Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone ¾ Marathon, Sun 2nd Oct 2011 11am

Options
  • 05-01-2011 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭

Athlone ¾ Marathon is back this year and promises to be bigger and better.

You may think it's a little early to be planning your Autumn race schedule, but if you're thinking of doing Dublin Marathon then this is an ideal preparation race. This year it's four weeks before Dublin, so ideal recovery time.

Main reason for posting now is that we're offering a discounted price of €29 for January, saving €10 on normal entry price.

http://www.athlone3quarter.com

Last year's thread

Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Atmosphere, Value, Organisation 26 votes

5 stars (excellent)
    0%
    4 stars (good)
    69%
    happygoosebazmans_grSlogger Joggerkenn0ollietrexOisin11178belcarragreenplainMurraythreeAimmanfruitbatsseanin4711dev123Q7Pronatordernipperwxyz 18 votes
    3 stars (average)
    30%
    tHE vAGGABONDDigiJemlukeemanbeeduybeMick Riceultraman1spanxsubscriber 8 votes
    2 stars (poor)
    0%
    1 star (terrible)
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

bazman wrote: »

You may think it's a little early to be planning your Autumn race schedule, but if you're thinking of doing Dublin Marathon then this is an ideal preparation race. This year it's four weeks before Dublin, so ideal recovery time.

Main reason for posting now is that we're offering a discounted price of €29 for January, saving €10 on normal entry price.

i think this race is a very good oppertunity to try a PMP run pre dublin marathon.

Last year before the dublin marathon, i did a 2mile warm up and ran at goal marathon pace(PMP) for 15miles and a 2mile cool down(as part of 15mile cork to cobh-but same idea), my dublin marathon pace was exactly the same as the 15m PMP and the HR was the same average also....

In short, if you are comfortable in this race at PMP, then dublin should be the same...best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Magnet

Fastastic race - One of my highlights of 2010 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Runonewon

Baz,
    Great to see 3/4 is on again this year.A cracker of a race,a real runner focused race.I will be there again this year.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I'll be registering for it now soon enough and Glasson is a lovely spot with some great hills so it should be a challange.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭bazman

4 stars (good)
    Just a reminder that the reduced entry price ends on 31st Jan ...

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    Time to start thinking about Dublin City Marathon. Our suggested training schedules on our Athlone ¾ Marathon website http://www.athlone3quarter.com/training.php start on 4th July & to launch our schedules we're offering a €10 entry discount until independence day - use code 'A3QPlan' at checkout to get the discount. Happy training ...

• Registered Users Posts: 20 kevd2000

I did this race last year, great race, well organized. Athlone is not as flat as one might think though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Had this race as part of my Dublin training plan. Have just tried to enter but it's telling me it's an invalid code?

4 stars (good)
    pistol_75 wrote: »
    Had this race as part of my Dublin training plan. Have just tried to enter but it's telling me it's an invalid code?

Sincere apologies - typed the code wrong!

Whoops

Code is: A3QMPlan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

4 stars (good)
    You having the pacers back again this year Bazman?

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    Yep, we plan to have pacers & we'll make sure they have Garmin's this year :)

Have a couple lined up, but will post here closer to the race requesting more pacers ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Sincere apologies - typed the code wrong!

Whoops

Code is: A3QMPlan

Got signed up today. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

3 stars (average)
    Signed up for this today too..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I think i might get 5 together to get the reduced rate and do this, i know the area around Glasson.........it ain't flat !

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭dernipper

4 stars (good)
    Really enjoyed this race, one of the best organised I have participated in and the location in Glasson hotel and route was fantastic but it was so much tougher than I thought it would be !! last 3 miles seemed to be up winding boorens going steadily upwards,,,, still remembering asking the steward at the 19 mile marker and no sign of the finish 'how long is this flipping race'' !!

I felt the benefits of this race in Dublin and am sure this year will be the same

I think i might get 5 together to get the reduced rate and do this, i know the area around Glasson.........it ain't flat !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

dernipper wrote: »
    Really enjoyed this race, one of the best organised I have participated in and the location in Glasson hotel and route was fantastic but it was so much tougher than I thought it would be !! last 3 miles seemed to be up winding boorens going steadily upwards,,,, still remembering asking the steward at the 19 mile marker and no sign of the finish 'how long is this flipping race'' !!

I felt the benefits of this race in Dublin and am sure this year will be the same

I'm doing Berlin this year so I will be enjoying a long awaited Sunday morning lie-in on October 2nd this year:)
    I did this race last year and I also found the last few miles hellish... In the end I managed a good enough time but I had to dig deep. It was GREAT preparation for DCM and after those hills in Glasson the UCD flyover was easy (I'm not joking).
    And the free T shirt was fabulous, I've worn it loads and it's still going strong.

If you're at all tempted to run this I'd say go for it...

Just about to register 5 of us for this race..........oh the hills:D

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭tinydave

Just about to register 5 of us for this race..........oh the hills:D

see you there for the Pain !
    the last hill is a bitch too!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

What sort of numbers do they get for this race? looks very good timing for dublin marathon!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Q7

4 stars (good)
    What sort of numbers do they get for this race? looks very good timing for dublin marathon!
    About 400 according to last year result. First run last year so probably be a bit more this year. Great training event for DCM. Tough course by all accounts but would stand you well for Dublin.

• Advertisement

7 of us are in for this. I feel if i can get to the end of this i can do DCM.

I'm up to 15 mile now so a bit of work to hit 19 plus miles !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Have to check schedule for this as could do 2 mile warm up, 2 mile warm down and 16 miles pmp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭dev123

4 stars (good)
    I've just registered for this and realised that its going up a tenner from the first of September (Thursday) - 39 quid to 49.

Although from the website the pricing brackets are between 1st February to 30th August 2011 and 1st to 28th September 2011.

Not sure what the craic is for 31st August?

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

3 stars (average)
    Is it not possible to pay by laser card for this race? It only has visa and master card options on the site? Very strange indeed...

Also what's with the age categories? It seems to be listen in ancient chinese scripture. Letters and numbers rather than age brackets. Im 24, so which bracket will this put me in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭dev123

4 stars (good)
    subscriber wrote: »
    Is it not possible to pay by laser card for this race? It only has visa and master card options on the site? Very strange indeed...

Also what's with the age categories? It seems to be listen in ancient chinese scripture. Letters and numbers rather than age brackets. Im 24, so which bracket will this put me in?
    From what I remember there was MS and MJ which I think are Men - Senior and Men - Junior. I went with Men - Senior.

If the age brackets are something to do with prizes then I don't think it will be too big of an issue what age group I am in

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 254 ✭✭Excuseless

subscriber wrote: »

Active Network's entry system does not yet accept Laser cards despite numerous requests and indeed promises from them to resolve this as many folk are inconvenienced by the need to have a credit card.

To facilitate those wanting to enter by Laser we have setup for individual entry on the Run Ireland site though this will not facilitate group or any other discounts.

This is from the website - we will have DOB from entry so can assign AG cat - not sure what is not clear about it :confused:

2011 Prizes will be announced closer to race date, but will be in the following categories:
    First 3 male finishers
    First 3 female finishers
    First male finishers over 40, 50 and 60
    First female finishers over 40, 50 and 60
    First male and female juniors

We are going to have cash prizes for top finishers plus Salomon and Trizone are combining to provide top quality category prizes
    More details should be on the site next week once Bazman get the mere matter of National Half out of the way today :)

4 stars (good)
    Athlone 3/4 Marathon Pacer Request

We're short a few pacers for the Athlone 3/4 Marathon on 2nd October. Is anyone out there interested? If so can you send me a PM and I'll fill you in on the details of what's on offer ....

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ShaneRoo

Hi folks

I'm in training for the Dublin Marathon (my first marathon) and someone told me about the Athlone 3/4 Marathon and I was considering running it.

However, whilst buying trainers the other day the expert didn't seem overly enthusiastic about it. Whilst he didn't say anything bad about the race and it could be that he has never ran it, however I didn't get the impression that he'd encourage someone to run it. :confused:

Has anyone ran the 3/4 marathon in Athlone?
    Would you recommend it?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭dernipper

4 stars (good)
    Last year was the first year and it was excellent, all aspects of the race were very good, the location, the changing facilitates, the pacers, fruit and gels at the water stations, great t shirts and a tough course which will challenge on the day but really pay in Dublin, I have no reason to doubt this year will be the same, if you want a good training run to test your approach to the marathon then this is it

ShaneRoo wrote: »
    Hi folks

I'm in training for the Dublin Marathon (my first marathon) and someone told me about the Athlone 3/4 Marathon and I was considering running it.

However, whilst buying trainers the other day the expert didn't seem overly enthusiastic about it. Whilst he didn't say anything bad about the race and it could be that he has never ran it, however I didn't get the impression that he'd encourage someone to run it. :confused:

Has anyone ran the 3/4 marathon in Athlone?
    Would you recommend it?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭pilot1087

How difficult is this course in comparison to the half marathon in the phoenix park last Saturday? Finished that in 2HR 8Mins and was thinking of stepping up to a 3/4 but feel this may be a bit beyond me.

Advertisement