Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone ¾ Marathon, Sun 2nd Oct 2011 11am

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

3 stars (average)
    Anyone driving down to this from Central Dublin want company and a few quid for petrol money? I need to think about logistics. PLEASE!

Its 90 minutes on the train, which is fine, but the first train I can find only gets into Athlone at 10.07, which is cutting things fine if there was a delay or something?

I could also get a Bus Eireann bus at 7am, [journey taking 2 hours], and get into town much earlier, but hardly ideal preparation for a 20 mile run!!!

@pilot1087 - Think about adding 50% again to the distance you ran on Saturday? If you ran that half a bit slower do you think you could do another 6 miles odd?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭pilot1087

Anyone driving down to this from Central Dublin want company and a few quid for petrol money? I need to think about logistics. PLEASE!

Its 90 minutes on the train, which is fine, but the first train I can find only gets into Athlone at 10.07, which is cutting things fine if there was a delay or something?

I could also get a Bus Eireann bus at 7am, [journey taking 2 hours], and get into town much earlier, but hardly ideal preparation for a 20 mile run!!!

@pilot1087 - Think about adding 50% again to the distance you ran on Saturday? If you ran that half a bit slower do you think you could do another 6 miles odd?

Thanks for that, I think I might give it a go. Good luck with the lift. I'll be heading from north dublin, If you're still stuck closer to the time let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

3 stars (average)
    will entry to this race be available right up to the before the race. just wondering as i don't know if injury will allow me to run yet until after another 1 or 2 more physio sessions. .. its not possible it would sell out is it??

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭NiallG4

Disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭dev123

4 stars (good)
    NiallG4 wrote: »
    Disgrace.
    I have heard nothing but good things about this race. Challenging course, well stocked aid stations and good organisation.

There were earlier registration fees. I paid €39 about 2 weeks ago.

Having paid €50 for a 15 mile race (Killarney Maximarathon) and avoided €35 for a 10 mile race :eek: (Tulfarris 10) I think €39 represents very good value for 19+ miles of running.

If I remeber correctly there was even a promo code for this race for a cheaper rate but like yourself I was too late to enter for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

4 stars (good)
    dev123 wrote: »

If I remeber correctly there was even a promo code for this race for a cheaper rate but like yourself I was too late to enter for that.

Yes, there was an offer of €10 off about 2 months ago so I managed to snare this for €29 back then:D

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭bazman

4 stars (good)
    subscriber wrote: »
    will entry to this race be available right up to the before the race. just wondering as i don't know if injury will allow me to run yet until after another 1 or 2 more physio sessions. .. its not possible it would sell out is it??

Online entry will be available up until 28th Sept. Depending on number of entries, there may be limited entries available on the day.

4 stars (good)
    Disgrace.

Can I ask have you ever organised an event of similar scale and quality? It costs money, lots of it! We have no sponsorship and are taking all the financial risk. If we get a high number of entrants well in advance of event we can plan on that basis - that's why we offer discounts for early entries.

We are making small profits, with a relatively large proportion going to our charity the Irish Wheelchair Association.

We are competitively prices when compared to similar half marathons and marathons all around the country. Myself and Paul are not the type to over-price. We're not going to Barbados any time soon :) We are providing a product at a particular price point - we think it is fairly priced - lots are entering, so hopefully the generally public agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Bazman I wouldn't worry about random comments like this with no substance.

On another topic how many pacers are there for each time and any chance of pacers for 3:45 marathon? Looking forward to it.

4 stars (good)
    pistol_75 wrote: »
    Bazman I wouldn't worry about random comments like this with no substance.

On another topic how many pacers are there for each time and any chance of pacers for 3:45 marathon? Looking forward to it.

It's a fair comment - €49 is a lot of money. I just wanted to provide some explanation as to why events can cost so much. There are discount codes out there - some are still active ;) Go to facebook page for details.

Regarding pacers for 3:45 marathon - leave that with me. We have quite a few fast pacers, so we may be able to convince one or two to go at 3:45 pace.

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    Updated pacing table: http://www.athlone3quarter.com/userfiles/2011_A3Q_Pacing2.jpg

Briefing pack will be distributed to entrants a few days in advance of race which will confirm the pacing available.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭NiallG4

Fair enough Bazman. I do appreciate that it takes a lot of organisation and without people like yourself, who knows, prices may increase due to lack of races however I was just making an observation that in my opinion it is pricey. I really do hope it goes well for you and grows in future and then possibly you might bring the price in line with our Northern Ireland friends and races around the meath area etc.

4 stars (good)
    Fair enough Bazman. I do appreciate that it takes a lot of organisation and without people like yourself, who knows, prices may increase due to lack of races however I was just making an observation that in my opinion it is pricey. I really do hope it goes well for you and grows in future and then possibly you might bring the price in line with our Northern Ireland friends and races around the meath area etc.

All feedback is appreciated. Positive & negative - it's helps us improve. If the event grows and we get sponsorship we will be able to bring prices down. We promote early entries so we can plan appropriately. We also promote discount codes to regular athletes, facebook friends & boardies. Marathons required planning, so we feel that this is an event that people can enter in advance. We also allow entry transfers for a €10 administration fee - fair in our opinion. Will upload race briefing pace to website soon ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Hi Bazman - I find that table confusing, is there any explanation of how it works, maybe taking one line as an example?

4 stars (good)
    Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Hi Bazman - I find that table confusing, is there any explanation of how it works, maybe taking one line as an example?

If you are preparing for a 4 hour marathon, then run at 10:10 mile pace for 1st quarter marathon, 9:38 pace 2nd & 3rd quarters.

Essentially, we recommend taking it easy for first quarter and picking it up for last half marathon. To me the pacers provide useful reference points, particularly to those without GPS watches - personally I would run my own individual pace and not rely on a pacers. Again, it's a race service that's there to take or leave ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

4 stars (good)
    This seems like a great service Bazman.
    I'm doing the Galway Bay 10k the day before (In search of sub 45) and am therefore planning on taking this as an LSR.
    The 3:30 pacers will have me going at 5:32 for the first quarter distance and 5:14 for the final two quarter distances...I think this should be perfect for what I'm looking for so will tag along with these guys/gals.
    Looking forward to it!

bazman wrote: »
    If you are preparing for a 4 hour marathon, then run at 10:10 mile pace for 1st quarter marathon, 9:38 pace 2nd & 3rd quarters.

Essentially, we recommend taking it easy for first quarter and picking it up for last half marathon. To me the pacers provide useful reference points, particularly to those without GPS watches - personally I would run my own individual pace and not rely on a pacers. Again, it's a race service that's there to take or leave ...

Thanks - I think there is a typo on the table as on the top it says Projected 1st Quarter 3 times. I assume this is 1st, 2nd, 3rd.

So these pacings are a LSR in a way, because if you aim for a 4 hour marathon and follow the plan the first 3/4 will take you 3:13. so the last 6 odd miles at 9:09 pace will take you about 56/57 minutes for a time of 4:10.

Is this the intention or have I totally mis read it?

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Disgrace.

Might seem like a fairly steep price but I did it last year and I thought it was worth evry penny. I found it invaluable in terms of my training for DCM. The course was tough but very scenic and the volunteers, admin etc were excellent. I got dehydrated towards the end (completely my own fault, plenty of water stations) and finished in fairly bad shape but I went on to do a PB in DCM.
    Oh and the freebie T-shirt was SUPER:D, I still wear mine all the time. If I weren't doing Berlin this year I would definitley be back.

4 stars (good)
    Thanks - I think there is a typo on the table as on the top it says Projected 1st Quarter 3 times. I assume this is 1st, 2nd, 3rd.

So these pacings are a LSR in a way, because if you aim for a 4 hour marathon and follow the plan the first 3/4 will take you 3:13. so the last 6 odd miles at 9:09 pace will take you about 56/57 minutes for a time of 4:10.

Is this the intention or have I totally mis read it?

Thanks again

Thanks - you're right - fixing that now ...

4 stars (good)
    We will be providing free recovery massage facilities after the race. 10-15 minutes per person should be enough to ensure to feeling ok a couple of days after this race ...

Add it all up:
    - cool technical t-shirt
    - 500ml running water bottle
    - good race refreshments
    - massage
    - free shuttle bus
    - excellent facilities
    - enjoyable scenic route

It's a bargain :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 kciaran

Hey

I have an entry that I cannot use - can't defer but can transfer. Anyone want it.

First reply

Ciaran

4 stars (good)
    kciaran wrote: »
    Hey

I have an entry that I cannot use - can't defer but can transfer. Anyone want it.

First reply
    Ciaran

Before mods clip this - this is acceptable from race organisers, but there is a €10 admin fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

3 stars (average)
    Disgrace.

I entered for €29 a couple of months ago. Just because you did not grab one of the early [€29] or regular [€39] entry and have waited until the last second is not the race's fault!

These things are priced to get people to enter early, so they know they numbers and can plan accordingly!

Thanks Bazman - didn't even know I might be breaking the rules. They did tell me I could transfer, I checked with them first.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭dernipper

4 stars (good)
    Apologies if I am mistaken but did not see any info on the shuttle bus on the website, I recall info on a shuttle bus service last year which although I didn't use last year was thinking of using this year, I presume it is from Athlone train station and if it is running this year is the info on the website or will it be in the race pack info you mention a couple posts back?

Just to add I think it is a superb event and really looking forward to it again this year. Thanks

We will be providing free recovery massage facilities after the race. 10-15 minutes per person should be enough to ensure to feeling ok a couple of days after this race ...

Add it all up:
    - cool technical t-shirt
    - 500ml running water bottle
    - good race refreshments
    - massage
    - free shuttle bus
    - excellent facilities
    - enjoyable scenic route

It's a bargain :)

Just having a look at the rest of this thread - this was a great race last year - realy enjoyed it and am completely bummed to be missing it (work travel I am afraid).

Heartily reccomend it and the t-shirt is far superior to anything else I got.

It was first on my list for 2011 after doing it in 2010.

ciaran

4 stars (good)
    dernipper wrote: »
    Apologies if I am mistaken but did not see any info on the shuttle bus on the website, I recall info on a shuttle bus service last year which although I didn't use last year was thinking of using this year, I presume it is from Athlone train station and if it is running this year is the info on the website or will it be in the race pack info you mention a couple posts back?

I'll update website later this evening. Similar service to last year, with pick-up from train and bus stations to suit train/bus arrivals. Will put up approximate times later this evening along with details of bus to look out for (bus will have a Athlone 3/4 Marathon sign in front window).

There will also be a return service after race.

My training plan for the DCM has a 20 miler this weekend, 12 miles the week on the 3/4 in Athlone and 20 the week after.

I did DCM two years ago and the lack of long runs over 18 miles really hit me so I was thinking of doing a few extra this year, would doing this and thus 3 20 Milers in a row be madness?

4 stars (good)
    I hope not as I am planning a 22, the 3/4 marathon and then an 18/20 the week after so similiar to your plan. To be honest with you everyone will have individual capabilities regarding training, I thought the lack of long 20/22 mile runs went against me in previous marathons so hence doing extra long runs this year, I think once done at the correct pace and be disciplined in recovery should be ok, just listen to your body and ease off if required

My training plan for the DCM has a 20 miler this weekend, 12 miles the week on the 3/4 in Athlone and 20 the week after.

I did DCM two years ago and the lack of long runs over 18 miles really hit me so I was thinking of doing a few extra this year, would doing this and thus 3 20 Milers in a row be madness?

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    Excellent, thank you, the wife has other plans so I will be availing of irishrail and the post run cavery in the hotel !!

Now if you could only guarantee the weather from last year I will give the 5 star review !

dernipper wrote: »

I'll update website later this evening. Similar service to last year, with pick-up from train and bus stations to suit train/bus arrivals. Will put up approximate times later this evening along with details of bus to look out for (bus will have a Athlone 3/4 Marathon sign in front window).

There will also be a return service after race.

Advertisement