Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone ¾ Marathon, Sun 2nd Oct 2011 11am

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

bazman - are you still looking for pacers, or you are all set?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

dernipper wrote: »
    I hope not as I am planning a 22, the 3/4 marathon and then an 18/20 the week after so similiar to your plan. To be honest with you everyone will have individual capabilities regarding training, I thought the lack of long 20/22 mile runs went against me in previous marathons so hence doing extra long runs this year, I think once done at the correct pace and be disciplined in recovery should be ok, just listen to your body and ease off if required

That was my thinking too - not enough long runs last time stood against me. Thats it decided, I'm doing it, sure if it is madness there'll be strength in numbers!

Now to get that discount code....

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

3 stars (average)
    kciaran wrote: »
    Hey

I have an entry that I cannot use - can't defer but can transfer. Anyone want it.

First reply

Ciaran

Hey kciaran, Im planning to sign up for this event.. anyway you will transfer entry to me??, willing to pay the 10 euro transfer fee.... cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Have entry available for the €10 transfer fee if anyboby wants it. Cant run due to stupid work. First PM gets it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 VaderMLK

hello Tang1. I'd be grateful for your entry for the 10euro transfer fee if still available. I've just registered with boards.ie and sent you a pm. thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭SnappyDresser

Looking forward to it. Will decide after if I will do the DCM again or perhaps try the Clonakilty. Hopefully no rain on the day :O)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

3 stars (average)
    Anyone driving down to this from Central Dublin want company and a few quid for petrol money? I need to think about logistics. PLEASE!

Its 90 minutes on the train, which is fine, but the first train I can find only gets into Athlone at 10.07, which is cutting things fine if there was a delay or something?

I could also get a Bus Eireann bus at 7am, [journey taking 2 hours], and get into town much earlier, but hardly ideal preparation for a 20 mile run!!!
    Bump?

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

3 stars (average)
    the map and directions for this event from the confirmation email are to the glasson hotel and resort??

Is this the starting point of the race or is the start in athlone town centre??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

3 stars (average)
    subscriber wrote: »
    the map and directions for this event from the confirmation email are to the glasson hotel and resort??

Is this the starting point of the race or is the start in athlone town centre??
    glasson resort is the start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

That hill was hard on my right foot as I drove up it:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

I also have transfer spot available. Organisers say that Wednesday is cutoff day.

3 stars (average)
    I also have a transfer spot available if anyone wants it.

No lift and trains just dont work timewise on Sunday schedules. So will just do exact same run in Phoenix Park I guess, without 4+ hours on Bus Eireann [and taxi's/busses in Athlone]. The curse of not driving :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

No lift and trains just dont work timewise on Sunday schedules. So will just do exact same run in Phoenix Park I guess, without 4+ hours on Bus Eireann [and taxi's/busses in Athlone]. The curse of not driving :mad:

Vagga if I'm doing the race I'll sort you out with a lift. I'm extremly doubtful though at the moment due to injury :( Will let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Ruarl Runner

My travel details sent via PM... Let me know if any use?

3 stars (average)
    @Rural Runner - replied to your PM, thanks

@Pistol_75 - thanks :)

For the time being folks - that place is still available for transfer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,319 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

Anyone driving down to this from Central Dublin want company and a few quid for petrol money? I need to think about logistics. PLEASE!

Its 90 minutes on the train, which is fine, but the first train I can find only gets into Athlone at 10.07, which is cutting things fine if there was a delay or something?

I could also get a Bus Eireann bus at 7am, [journey taking 2 hours], and get into town much earlier, but hardly ideal preparation for a 20 mile run!!!

@pilot1087 - Think about adding 50% again to the distance you ran on Saturday? If you ran that half a bit slower do you think you could do another 6 miles odd?
    I'm in the same boat - no car, want to run this, but the bus/train station in Athlone is just a little to far from the start/finish line...
    Someone mentioned a shuttle service in this thread - I see no mention on the race website, so I've emailed the organisers asking about the shuttle service. I'll post their reply as soon as I receive it. Pretty much the ability to get from the bus/train station in Athlone, to the starting line, and then back again to the bus/train after, is the only thing keeping me from entering right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭bazman

4 stars (good)
    Izoard wrote: »
    bazman - are you still looking for pacers, or you are all set?

The more the merrier in relation to pacers. If you'd like to pace, you are welcome ...

Wow, talk about great customer service - I had this in my inbox less than 20 minutes after sending off my email!!
    We will certainly be providing a bus service from Athlone bus & rail stations to the race start.
    The exact times are to be finalised, but will be in line with bus and rail arrivals.
    We want to be an eco friendly race and encourage people to use public and communal transport.

Use discount code 'tenmile' to get a €10 discount off entry before Wednesday! Entry on the day is possible, but for €50 and without guarantee of a t-shirt.

4 stars (good)
    AngelaRI wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat - no car, want to run this, but the bus/train station in Athlone is just a little to far from the start/finish line...
    Someone mentioned a shuttle service in this thread - I see no mention on the race website, so I've emailed the organisers asking about the shuttle service. I'll post their reply as soon as I receive it. Pretty much the ability to get from the bus/train station in Athlone, to the starting line, and then back again to the bus/train after, is the only thing keeping me from entering right now!

We will certainly be providing a bus service from Athlone bus & rail stations to the race start. The exact times are to be finalised, but will be in line with bus and rail arrivals. Race briefing pack will be distributed on Thursday morning to all online entrants with the final details.

We want to be an eco friendly race and encourage people to use public and communal transport.

Entered :)

• Advertisement

3 stars (average)
    I have a lift sorted [yay], so place not for sale anymore :)

Looking forward to it!

bazman wrote: »
    If you are preparing for a 4 hour marathon, then run at 10:10 mile pace for 1st quarter marathon, 9:38 pace 2nd & 3rd quarters.

Essentially, we recommend taking it easy for first quarter and picking it up for last half marathon. To me the pacers provide useful reference points, particularly to those without GPS watches - personally I would run my own individual pace and not rely on a pacers. Again, it's a race service that's there to take or leave ...

I'm still a little confused here...

If I'm aiming for 4 hours for the full, I need to do this one in 3 hours, tapping out 9.09min miles.

What's the logic in finishing in 3.12.50, as per the table?

4 stars (good)
    Izoard wrote: »
    I'm still a little confused here...

If I'm aiming for 4 hours for the full, I need to do this one in 3 hours, tapping out 9.09min miles.

What's the logic in finishing in 3.12.50, as per the table?

A few reasons:
    - Dublin Marathon is the target for most. If so use this as a training session, not a race. If I was doing both DCM and Athlone, I would be looking at running slower than marathon race pace in Athlone.
    - There are some hills, so the slower pace allows for this. Dublin is a relatively hilly marathon, so to me Athlone is an ideal preparation event.
    - Important to have a positive race experience in Athlone, so I'd recommend running within yourself. Believe me, you'll be able to pick up the pace in the main event.
    - Important to recover quickly from Athlone, so running slighly slower than target marathon pace will ensure you're fully recovered within a few days. The free post race massages will help here also ...

Linda Byrne is confirmed for race and is being advised by her coach to run a relatively easy for first 10km and then pick it up slightly - very similar to our pacing charts.

At the end of the day, running is an individual sport and everyone has different training and racing strategies. Do what is right for your own plan.

A few reasons:
    - Dublin Marathon is the target for most. If so use this as a training session, not a race. If I was doing both DCM and Athlone, I would be looking at running slower than marathon race pace in Athlone.
    - There are some hills, so the slower pace allows for this. Dublin is a relatively hilly marathon, so to me Athlone is an ideal preparation event.
    - Important to have a positive race experience in Athlone, so I'd recommend running within yourself. Believe me, you'll be able to pick up the pace in the main event.
    - Important to recover quickly from Athlone, so running slighly slower than target marathon pace will ensure you're fully recovered within a few days. The free post race massages will help here also ...

Linda Byrne is confirmed for race and is being advised by her coach to run a relatively easy for first 10km and then pick it up slightly - very similar to our pacing charts.

At the end of the day, running is an individual sport and everyone has different training and racing strategies. Do what is right for your own plan.

OK...makes sense.

I was asking more from the pacer point of view...i.e. do we stick to the chart!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Mr Marenghi

Anybody know if there's gonna be 3.15 pacers ?

Thanks

4 stars (good)
    Anybody know if there's gonna be 3.15 pacers ?

Thanks

Sorry, no 3:15 paces. 3:00 and 3:30 pacers.
    If someone out there is willing to pace 3:15 you are most welcome to a free entry ;)

Sorry, no 3:15 paces. 3:00 and 3:30 pacers.
    If someone out there is willing to pace 3:15 you are most welcome to a free entry ;)

Cool - thanks anyway.

1 other thing.
    Is it possible to say now whether there'll be entries available Sunday morning down there ? Just dont wanna spend E50 when I'm unsure if I can get away from work yet,

Thanks

4 stars (good)
    Cool - thanks anyway.

1 other thing.
    Is it possible to say now whether there'll be entries available Sunday morning down there ? Just dont wanna spend E50 when I'm unsure if I can get away from work yet,

Thanks

It will be possible to enter on the day for €50, but without any guarantee of goodies etc. We've ordered 700 t-shirts & water bottles - we're very close to that now, although you may well be lucky if some athletes do not show ...

It will be possible to enter on the day for €50, but without any guarantee of goodies etc. We've ordered 700 t-shirts & water bottles - we're very close to that now, although you may well be lucky if some athletes do not show ...

cool - thanks for the reply !

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    We ideally are looking for 2 pacers per pace group. We currently only have one for the 3:30 marathon training pace (approx 8:30/min miles). Any last minute potential pacers out there?

Advertisement