Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superquinn in Naas to close...

Options
  • 05-01-2011 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭

So it seems Superquinn in Naas is to close next month. All the staff were notified this morning, and they had some kind of mini strike...

So I think this week alone Naas will be losing around 120 jobs

Superquinn - Celtic Bookmakers & Toni and Guy hairdressing.

They did the best donuts :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ciaranamo

It's another blow for jobs and retail on Main Street Naas as Kfm is reporting that Superquinn is to close on 4th of February.

http://www.kfmradio.com/kfm-radio/local-news.html

"It says that decision arises from the expiry of the lease and the landlords wish to take possession of the store.

Superquinn had intended to open a store on an alternative site in Naas prior to the expiry of the current lease but, as a result of problems in the property market, development of this site is on hold for the time being. "

Sounds like the landlords must have secured a replacement tenant already and Superquinn were squeezed out after their failed move.

Anybody know who the landlords are and who might be replacing SQ?

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

I think Penneys will be opening a shop there instead

• Registered Users Posts: 8 fjortal

is Toni and Guy in Naas closing? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭redalicat

And it was just packed with customers last Friday, too. Pity. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8 fjortal

I heard they were "restructuring" but T and G in Naas was always so busy, I presumed that as a busy chain they would be ok. Madness, the staff are great, what a ****e way to start 2011.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭batari

Won't somebody think of the sausages? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

probly because of competition, i would assume an extended lease could have been easily got.

the aldi (or lidl?) down the newbridge road and the new tescos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

When one hears of car dealerships going, somewhat a luxury and a small necessity, or the bars closing, well certainly a luxury, even hotels and restaurant closing, a bit of a luxury item here too.

But a supermarket, a basic food and drink provider a necessity provider ~ this shows how bad things are surely, when we stop buying food .... OMG :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 buragoed

It's a shame they're closing. I think Penny's are redeveloping that site so Superquinn might not have had the option to renew the lease. They spent a fortune on a site on the Newbridge road in 2008 so there is the possibility of them returning. Feel really sorry for the staff, I recognise some of the faces in there from years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Scruff101

Toni & Guy isn't closing! Anyone know when Superquinn is actually closing have they set a date?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭vinniemac

Difficulty parking, shop poorly maintained and a gradual drop in standards since Fergal Quinn sold it. Can't say I'm surprised. Especially since the Tesco Extra opened on the Monread Rd

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Naas's core continues to rot thanx to the council's disastrous planning policies that have allowed car-dependent sprawl to feed out of town retail parks. I hope the usual suspects in KCC are proud of their rezoning efforts over the last 20 years:mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

So, it seems Superquinn, who has announced that it'll close it's store in Naas is not pulling out of Naas as the news says, but is being pushed out, by Pennys (Primark). Seems that Superquinn was meant to have gone by December 2010, and Pennys is now going to bring High Court action against Superquinn.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

..but it's not like Superquinn didn't know they had an expiry date of their lease. One almost suspects they wanted to be "forced" out.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

BuffyBot wrote: »
    ..but it's not like Superquinn didn't know they had an expiry date of their lease. One almost suspects they wanted to be "forced" out.
    Aye. It seems that as they can't get what they want (the place nearby) they want a TD to pop in and sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

Toni & Guy in Naas is not closing down, maybe the OP should edit their post rather then make it look bleaker then what it actually is

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0105/toniandguy.html
    Hairdressing chain Toni & Guy is to close four salons with the loss of 35 jobs. The salons, located in Cork, Kilkenny, Dame St and South William St in Dublin, have been put into voluntary liquidation as part of a restructuring plan to secure the future of the business.

What about Naas SC, perfect opportunity for them to get an anchor tenant in since Dunnes pulled the plug, might get the place back up and running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 buragoed

What about Naas SC, perfect opportunity for them to get an anchor tenant in since Dunnes pulled the plug, might get the place back up and running.

That'd be ideal except for the €25 million they sank into the site on the Newbridge Road. I wonder will the centre ever get finished?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

buragoed wrote: »
    That'd be ideal except for the €25 million they sank into the site on the Newbridge Road. I wonder will the centre ever get finished?

Did they actually buy the site ?

I thought the were to move where the old school is in Nass ?

Wasnt the best SQ store by a long run but still did great food and I for one will sorely miss it .

Hopefully some thing for the new build can be sorted ASAP, even if it does, looks like the area will be without an SQ store for the best part of a year and maybe longer.

Very sad to see so many Jobs going in one foul swoop , big blow to the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

Would be great to get the new centre open this year! Superquinn would be an ideal anchor tenant!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Magilla Gorilla

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Naas's core continues to rot thanx to the council's disastrous planning policies that have allowed car-dependent sprawl to feed out of town retail parks. I hope the usual suspects in KCC are proud of their rezoning efforts over the last 20 years:mad::mad:

Planning for Naas is the responsibility of Naas Town Council, not KCC. Best to know your facts before you make such comments.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Planning for Naas is the responsibility of Naas Town Council, not KCC. Best to know your facts before you make such comments.

I'll happily restate the comment for you as the meaning is still meaningful.
    Naas's core continues to rot thanx to the council's disastrous planning policies that have allowed car-dependent sprawl to feed out of town retail parks. I hope the usual suspects in Naas Town Council are proud of their rezoning efforts over the last 20 years

NTC has failed the town and they have been doing it consistently for over 20 years. In terms of the new Tescos I often wonder did they just bend over and take it like amateur politicos or get far more than the 30 quids worth of vouchers I got.

Traffic management, retail planning and social provision are a fvcking disaster in Naas. Absolutely none of the councillors have a clue. Naas is a town that expanded rapidly while its local council continued along the way as if it was 1970!

As for Superquinn, they are just looking for an excuse. If they paid 25 million for the St Patricks site and their current store is profitable, then its a no brainer to develop it. I reckon they are in bigger trouble than we are being told.

But you gotta hand it to Naas. A half built town centre. A massive Tescos on the outskirts and a high profile grocery retailer pulling out of the town. Its a laughing stock.

1. You don't need to restate anything for me personally, but your efforts are appreciated. :D

2. I wonder who voted in the councillors who made the rezoning decisions? :rolleyes:

1. You don't need to restate anything for me personally, but your efforts are appreciated. :D

2. I wonder who voted in the councillors who made the rezoning decisions? :rolleyes:

1. Your welcome anyway.

2. I'm in Naas 22 years and eligible to vote for 20 of those years. I have never voted in NTC elections ever because the standard of candidate has been appalling. I considered running myself on at least one occasion but decided against it after witnessing many of their meetings and hearing the experience of one former independent councillor.

I can also assure you that many Naas residents that moved here in the 1990s know very little about NTC and havent voted in any election. Local politics has more of a bearing on their day to day lives than national politics. But the efforts of councillors in connecting with these people has been appalling.

You could argue this one all day, but in my view it's up to new residents to engage with the community, not the other way round. If you've moved to Naas because you like it, surely you have a vested interest in keeping the things you like the way they are- therefore you SHOULD keep an eye on development plans etc.

Do people really think you're going to read about plans to rezone a field in Naas as a car-park (or anywhere) in the Irish Times or see it on the news?

You could argue this one all day, but in my view it's up to new residents to engage with the community, not the other way round. If you've moved to Naas because you like it, surely you have a vested interest in keeping the things you like the way they are- therefore you SHOULD keep an eye on development plans etc.

Do people really think you're going to read about plans to rezone a field in Naas as a car-park (or anywhere) in the Irish Times or see it on the news?

Many new residents came from Dublin where the concept of a small town run by what was then an Urban Council, was alien. The transition from city to essentially provincial was huge. Naas Town Council have never embraced these new residents or even attempted to. Its a small town quango dominated by local political wannabes and "locals", full stop.

While you are right that we could argue about it all day, the reality is a different matter and its effects are massive. Two of the nine are there donkeys years. Three are FG. One is Labour. One is FF. One of the non party is really FF. The other three non party are invisible. There isn't an ounce of credibility among all of them.

Apologies to Mod for swaying off topic.

Advertisement