Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

flooring attic

• 05-01-2011 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭

I plan to floor part of the attic to have space to walk and some storage

Has anyone used the attic flooring pack from woodies. A friend told me about them so only have second hand knowledge. I understand they are to be screwed down to joists. Could you use a power screwdriver? Would there be any vibration that would cause any problems?

Another ssue is the cold. would it be enough to leave the space under the tank free of any insulation so as to allow heat in winter.

Someone said attic flooring should be staggered. What is the thinking behind this? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Is the flooring kit you are talking about the chip board stuff?

Leaving the tank uninsulated underneath might be enough, but I'd look into a frost heater if I was you. Would definitely be worth the investment.

Yes, you want to stagger the joints in the flooring, as otherwise, if they are all together in a line it will create a weak spot in the floor. If you do it in the same fashion as a block wall that'd be the way. Say start with a full board, then go with a half board on the next run etc......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

I would look at getting 2 x 8' tongue and groove OSB board instead of chipboard - any builders merchant should have this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭WildOscar

Is the flooring kit you are talking about the chip board stuff?
    yes, woodies have it 3 pack 8 euro

Yes, you want to stagger the joints in the flooring, as otherwise, if they are all together in a line it will create a weak spot in the floor. If you do it in the same fashion as a block wall that'd be the way. Say start with a full board, then go with a half board on the next run etc......
    yes i understand it now

gyppo wrote: »
    I would look at getting 2 x 8' tongue and groove OSB board instead of chipboard - any builders merchant should have this.
    why is this please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭windsurfer99ie

WildOscar wrote: »
    why is this please?

Personally, I'd find the OSB board approach cumbersome - 2 by 8 is big and heavy to be working with in a confined space.

The Woodies / B&Q approach is better suited to an amateur like me. I've done a few attics this way over the years. I agree with the comments above about interleaving etc.

I would definitely recommend screwing rather than nailing - nailing can cause cracks to appear in the ceiling below. You can just lay the boards out for a start - if you are only using the area as storage then you might decide against screwing initially. Personally, I don't screw them down until I have generous amounts of loft insulation underneath.

Good Luck

• Advertisement

Personally, I'd find the OSB board approach cumbersome - 2 by 8 is big and heavy to be working with in a confined space.
    have no experience but tend to agree. the woodies one seem just about ok to get up there
    I would definitely recommend screwing rather than nailing -
    says that on the woodies packs ....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Why do people think that Woodies is the be all and end all,and great and cheap for diy stuff or building materials????

Its not.

You will get it cheaper in most decent builders providers,and especially if you mention the price in woodies too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

You drill small pilot holes and you screw and you dont nail.

Think about it for a second with regards to a nail,hammer,shock,impact and joists/ceiling/plaster below.It aint rocket science.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭cram1971

Do you have to remove insulation to install the boards you should have 300mm on insulation in your attic, I recently topped up my insulation to 300mm removed the woodies boards and installed insulated floor boards.

Just keep your insulation in mind especially with the rising fuel costs

I agree that Woodies or wherever will be more expensive, and I would rather use OSB than Chip

Chip and Water don't mix at all.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

cram1971 wrote: »
    Do you have to remove insulation to install the boards you should have 300mm on insulation in your attic,
    I recently topped up my insulation to 300mm removed the woodies boards and installed insulated floor boards.

If your squashing down insulation with boards or anything for that matter then it's not doing its full job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

cram1971 wrote: »
    Do you have to remove insulation to install the boards you should have 300mm on insulation in your attic, I recently topped up my insulation to 300mm removed the woodies boards and installed insulated floor boards.

Just keep your insulation in mind especially with the rising fuel costs

Agreed, have to remove any insulation above the joists. You can buy flooring with a layer of foam under it but it's very expensive. I saw it in B&Q recently, each board was about €8. It had about 80mm of what looked like black polystyrene under it. May not be good for wiring, but I'm not sure what material it was, definitely looked like beads though.

Where did you get your insulated boards cram and what was it?

If you compact insulation down it impedes the effectiveness of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

WildOscar wrote: »
    why is this please?

OSB board is a lot stronger, and much more resistant to dampness compared to chipboard. You will still need to pick your steps when walking on chipboard, and it will sag between joists if your joist spacing is 600mm.
    You wont have this issue with OSB.

The stuff you get in woodies, and similar outlets won't last for more than a few years before its limited structural strenght is compromised by absorbed moisture.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭cram1971

CBYR1983 wrote: »
    Agreed, have to remove any insulation above the joists. You can buy flooring with a layer of foam under it but it's very expensive. I saw it in B&Q recently, each board was about €8. It had about 80mm of what looked like black polystyrene under it. May not be good for wiring, but I'm not sure what material it was, definitely looked like beads though.

Where did you get your insulated boards cram and what was it?

I got mine from uvalue.ie and Grangers in Baldoyle, 4' x 2' 13.50 each and did a pretty good job. I did it in 2 sections

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Did anyone price the 8*2 T&G sheets with a builders provider out of interest?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

We had a lot of storage space on loose (not screwed or nailed down) plywood sheets in the attic but when we applied for the insulation grant the installers advised us not to cover the insulation with the plywood again as it would lose its effectiveness.

Now everything is in the garage and there's no room for a car!

Advertisement