Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orbs in photographs

Options
  • 05-01-2011 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

First time poster in Paranormal, I think. Mods, I didn't know whether to put this in Photography or here, but felt I might get more welcoming responses here.

Let me start by saying that I am a skeptic about all things, including the paranormal.

I have always treated unexplained experiences I've had as just that; unexplained.

Recently I had such experience - this time to do with photography.

Long story short, I was recently in a very old house belonging to a relative. I was taking photographs with a digital camera phone. Mostly my subjects were photographs of photos of relatives and general shots of rooms. The photos of relatives included those who are alive and some who have died. Many of the photos were framed and/or mounted behind glass.

When I was snapping one particular photo (of a deceased relative), I immediately noticed a circular(-ish) point of light in the viewfinder. This appeared before taking the photo. After taking the photos (which I repeated several times from different angles with flash turned on and turned off) this 'orb' was also visible.

When lining up to take the photo, I moved the camera phone around and noticed that the position of the 'orb' also moved. The 'orb' moved more slowly relative to the motion of the arm holding the camera. I believe this might the 'live' view of the camera taking a fraction of a second to refresh on the screen, so the 'live' image was a few frames behind my eyes - if that makes sense.

What I don't understand is this this 'orb' only appeared in photos I took of this particular object. I took photographs of different picture frames which also had similar glass covering the photos in them. I used different settings on the camera, turned the flash on and off, checked to see if a light was constantly on on the camera above the lens even when I had the flash mode turned off (it wasn't) and so on.

The only times the 'orb' did not appear in the resulting photos were when the flash actually went off!

I know that 99.9% of photographs with these 'orbs' can be explained by particle reflections when the flash goes off and other simple physical explanations. In this instance however, I am at a loss and would appreciate a scientific, or indeed paranormal explanation.

Thoughts anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

where you at the same angle all the time taking the shot of the relative? Could easily be reflection. Plus, digital cameras have an issue with creating their own orbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Why don't you post up the pics?

Have a look through this site, it might give you more ideas to explain the 'orbs':
    http://www.theorbzone.com/explanation.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Orbs are mostly dust particles, or just bad light.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Pics or GT*O?!

Seriously it would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

I reckon the fact that it followed your lens point more to dust that landed on the lens than anything else. The majority of PI's these days swear against orbs since they are rarely anything out of the ordinary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

Sorry I won't be posting the photos. Thanks for your responses though.

Advertisement