Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to now!!

• 05-01-2011 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

K so I rang the social today because I am sooo sick of working part time with unreliable hours cleaning or looking after old people when my degree and masters are in Business and PR.
    Surprise surprise they said I am not entitled to any form of welfare as I work 2 hours five morns a week! They also said I would not get any benefits if I did an internship!
    So basically I have no options - well thats a lie! I can stay working part time and my 5 years of college was a pure waste of time or I can ask a company to take me on for free which therefore I get no wage nor do I get any social welfare!

I am so annoyed, I now have no prospects and cant think of what road to try take next.... :mad:

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

First of all, I understand you're really angry. But, after taking some time you need to realise that being angry will just hinder your progress.

You do have options. You have a qualification and things wont always be this bad. You need to look at the long term in that respect.

In the short term, if you can financially manage to work in an unpaid role I'd say go for it. Sometimes they turn into full time roles that are paid. Experience in a relevant field is better than no experience but minimum earnings.

In the longer term, no one will ask why you did or didnt work in your relevant field because everyone for the rest of your life will know about this recession, so dont stress about it from that point of view.

My advice: get a job you can stand with better hours and apply to every relevant job in your field that becomes available. OR, do an internship while also applying to every relevant job.

Chin up, its hella depressing applying to the same jobs over and over again but if you lose faith or spend your time angry you definitely wont get anywhere.

Smart people work around the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Quatro24 wrote: »
    So basically I have no options - well thats a lie! I can stay working part time and my 5 years of college was a pure waste of time or I can ask a company to take me on for free which therefore I get no wage nor do I get any social welfare!

I am caught in the same situation as yourself except I can go one better - I have 7 years of university which, at this moment in time, seems like the biggest waste of time and money i am ever likely to do.

Might I suggest using the proportion of the day you have free to gain some experience? If you only work 2 hrs in the morning, you might be able to do something for the rest of the day. Perhaps, if you had a good relationship with any of your lecturers, you could approach them with this idea and they might know someone who could give you the experience.

In the longer term, no one will ask why you did or didnt work in your relevant field because everyone for the rest of your life will know about this recession, so dont stress about it from that point of view.

People will remember this recession for a long time alright but from a business point of view, will that matter to an employer? When its over the country will still be churning out graduates so they can take on those fresh out of college, and not those of us caught in a catch22 with regard experience.

Depressing time to be in this ruined country.

Advertisement