Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Humidity Switch/Sensor

Options
  • 05-01-2011 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

inlaws have a vortice extract fan in wall of kitchen. Its connected to a normal switch to enable it. I was wondering, could I in anyway, connect it to some time of Humidity sensor, that would turn on the fan automatically when neededed, and off when not, and where would i get on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

Tred,

It is a hygrostat or humidistat that you are looking for:

Here is an example but you might be able to get a cheaper one somewhere else:
    http://radionics.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=searchProducts&searchTerm=humidistat

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Mike2006 wrote: »
    Tred,

http://radionics.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=searchProducts&searchTerm=humidistat

Mike.

Thanks Mike. I see then you can adjust to turn on based on certain humidity levels. Excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

Yeah, adjustable level.
    Humidity levels for occupied spaces should be set at around 50%. Any lower and it can cause skin irritation/drying. In your case, I would set the switch for around 65% humidity to give a closed contact and start the extraction fan.

Mike.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Mike2006 wrote: »
    Tred,

Mike.

Could that be used in a bathroom with a extractor fan?

The extractor fan in my bathroom is wired up the bathroom lights,so even if you just want to wash the hands quickly the fan comes on and stays on for around 8-10 mins after I turn off the lights.Its annoying,especially if trying to sleep at night and someone uses the bathroom,to wash the hands.

Is there any way that you could get the bathroom fan to work when the bathroom gets to a certain amount humidity instead???

OR........ are there bathroom extractor fans that you can adjust with regards to the time/how long they stay on for,when you turn off the lights??

Thanks.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Their is fans for what you want, go to any wholesalers and get one. Can run direct, delayed action, humidity whatever you like.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Davy wrote: »
    Their is fans for what you want, go to any wholesalers and get one. Can run direct, delayed action, humidity whatever you like.

Sweet,thanks.:)

Advertisement