Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring a garage

• 05-01-2011 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm thinking of wiring my garage myself but I know little about wiring so I will need to do my homework first, but if the money was right I might consider getting it done by an electrican. Before you say how long is a piece of string would any of you know a ballpark price for wiring a garage with;

4 double sockets,
    2 double light switches,
    2 double tube/bulb lights,
    fuse box etc etc

and anything else materials wise that I may be forgetting. No chasing needed. I have a cable coming from the house to the garage from the time the house was built and as far as I know its going through the fuse box in the house.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

You're sockets will need back boxes, and you may want conduit to run the cables. Maybe not, but the conduit is personal preference

You might have better luck in the electrical forum

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

You're sockets will need back boxes, and you may want conduit to run the cables. Maybe not, but the conduit is personal preference

You might have better luck in the electrical forum

Yeah, was going to use steel conduit. ;)

And yes your right, didn't see the electrical, would make sense, newbie and all that!

Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Get all your stuff from an electrical wholesalers.

If you are running power cable outdoors,from house to garage externally then it has to be SWA cable.;)

I used a 3 core 10square SWA cable and ran it underground from the mains fuseboard out to the garage to a seperate IP rated fuseboard in the garage.

Fully kitted out IP rated fuse board for a garage will be around the 90-110 euro mark,depending on where you go to get it.

It has to be IP rated for a garage due to water/condensation/dampness.Also use steel back boxes,plates and conduit,this is to prevent any damage from any work you might be doing in the garage.

Place your sockets at around the 4 feet hight mark,that will mean that you can install work benches and clamp benches and still have the sockets about the worktop area for ease of use.

Also makes sure that the garage has a 63amp mains fuse/switch aswell.

If the garage overloads or tripps out,then it wont send the existing house into darkness aswell.

Advertisement