Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2.5" Drive - Speed Vs Storage?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

There's no point worrying about speed unless you're buying an SSD - it's splitting hairs between the speed of a snail and a slug, compared to a cheetah.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

There's no point worrying about speed unless you're buying an SSD - it's splitting hairs between the speed of a snail and a slug, compared to a cheetah.

Very true. The only reason I looked at the XT was that its coming in at roughly half the speed of SSD. And a good bit ahead of the normal hard drives. As a price exercise, seems like a good value.

I'd certainly go for the XT over a vanilla 500GB drive, or a 5.4k 1TB drive. Bear in mind that the WDC Blue that's in that comparison video isn't the best of the SSD crop, either.

I'd certainly go for the XT over a vanilla 500GB drive, or a 5.4k 1TB drive. Bear in mind that the WDC Blue that's in that comparison video isn't the best of the SSD crop, either.

I've been watching the SSD market for a good while now, but the prices don't seem to be dropping. I need the storage but over €1000 for 512GB is pure lunacy. Been reading on the XT and it doesn't seem to be too well supported on MacOS, something to do with SMART cycles? Looking at less than a year lifetime.

As with anything else, you're just getting more performance at the same prices. The current gen of SSD's gives slightly higher densities at a much improved performance.

Also bear in mind that "headline" speeds quoted tend to be for higher capacity 120/250GB drives - 40 or 60GB drives have lower top speeds, but the same low access latency.

As with any apple, a non-apple approved part is always a gamble to see if Apple will **** it up for you. They've got to reward your loyalty somehow, after all.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the input. Looking like the XT to be honest. Same power consumption but an increase in speed. I'd keep with the Apple Fuji stuff, but its been discontinued. Can't get them anywhere.

Advertisement