Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for 1/2 weeks volunteer work abroad for myself and my boyfriend

• 05-01-2011 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi, I've always been interested in volunteer work and I was hoping to do some volunteering work this coming summer with my boyfriend. We are only looking to go for 1 or 2 weeks (as it only suits my boyfriend to get time off work) perhaps in Africa. He comes from a carpentry and electrical background and I'm a teacher so we were trying to see could we get some volunteer to suit our professions but we could be open to other ideas aswell.

I've tried looking up a few sites but it seems that there's a lot of fundraising and expensive costs needed so I was hoping someone could point us in the right direction with regards websites, companies etc. that I could perhaps look into.

Many thanks in advance :-)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Check out the 'Why can't I volunteer abroad for free' thread on this page for more information.

Basically, what you're looking for is quite limited. You'd be hard pressed to find a place that needs a teacher and a carpenter/electrician and that could make valuable use of them in just one or two weeks.
    If an organization cannot use you in such a short amount of time, plan B is to at the very least get some funds out of you.
    So in short - stay for longer and be useful or start fundraising!

As a teacher, check out The Global Schoolroom and Link Educational Development. Their trips are a bit longer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 saerlaith

Would Outreach Moldova suit? It's an Irish charity working in Moldova in an orphanage for girls and women with disabilities - they take people for 2 weeks and they have one of the lower levels of required fundraising, as the time the volunteers spend with the girls is very important too. I went out with them 2 years ago and thought they were great!

http://www.outreachmoldova.org/

Advertisement