Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Sydney Hostel - Base or Wake Up?

Options
  • 05-01-2011 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭

I'm traveling to Sydney later this year, as part of a bigger trip and I'm planning on staying in a hostel while there. I've never stayed in a hostel before and am traveling alone so I'm a bit nervous about what to expect.

Looking online, I've decided to probably go with one of these. Base is a good location and looks nice. Wake Up is about $20 more expensive for the time I'm looking at, but they organise trips and tours, which as I'll be traveling solo would be handy.

Does anyone have any advice? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

sitstill wrote: »
    I'm traveling to Sydney later this year, as part of a bigger trip and I'm planning on staying in a hostel while there. I've never stayed in a hostel before and am traveling alone so I'm a bit nervous about what to expect.

Looking online, I've decided to probably go with one of these. Base is a good location and looks nice. Wake Up is about $20 more expensive for the time I'm looking at, but they organise trips and tours, which as I'll be traveling solo would be handy.

Does anyone have any advice? Thanks

For $20 less go with base! the tours things, lots of travel shop organise that, you don't need to stay in the hostel to buy their tours, around central (where YHA, wake up etc) there is a little strip of about 5 different back packer tour places. and I'd bet my hat base will organise tours too (they all do for commission)

Pretty much same same. But that is a big price difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 crascred

Hey

Stayed at Wake Up in June 08. Was fab, staff nice and I thought it was very clean. Personally I thought it was one of the best hostels i stayed in in Australia or NZ. The tours were great, I did the city walking tour the morning i arrived on the advice of the tour desk staff as a way to keep me awake for the day. Also did the Coogee Bondi walk as well.

Thought it was good in so far as the roommates did it as well and we met up with a few other people on it and ended up out with them that night. Mind you that can happen in any hostel. Side bar was good craic as well. Overall have to say Wake Up was nice, clean, helpful staff, great room mates [was lucky] and was secure. Im a guy and I even appreciated the swipe card system. I recommended it to people all along the coast.

That is my take on Wake Up. Stayed at Bases quite a bit in NZ and found them all good. $20 is $20 and from what i can remember there was no check on the tour as to whether u were staying in wake up. Could be wrong and might have changed.

Anyway Enjoy the trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rebel Boy

Go for Wake up. Even tho its a bit more expensive than base its a better hostel IMO. I stayed in both. Staff are very friendly there as well. I found the staff in base quite rude and very slow at reception checking people in.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭belleray

Hey, I stayed in both. They're both smack in the middle of Sydney so location isn't an issue, other than iirc Wake up is sightly closer to the train station if you're getting the train from the city centre.

Base, I found was like most of the Base hostels, big, chain, not too personal on check in but rooms were fine (when the lifts were working, otherwise a bit of a trek). The washing machine facilites weren't great, stuck in a basement. The travel centre on the ground floor was good we booked a couple of tours through them. And the bar attached to them was good for cheep drinks, quiz nights, etc. and very nice food.

Wake up was bigger, brighter, more modern. Washing facilites on each fllor here which was nice, you only havve access to your own floor as you need your room key to access the floor so less random drunk people wandering the halls trying every room. I seem to remember though that we were on the 5th floor and the noise from the bar in the basement was really loud late into the morning. The bar is nice, good mixed crowd.

One thing I will say is both started anouncements piped into the rooms from about 10 am which is a pain if you're trying to make the most of a bed before a late flight.

Enjoy your trip

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

Thanks for the advice everyone. I was kinda leaning towards Wake Up but your comments swung it for me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

stayed in all three..

check out BOUNCE hotel online..
    its beautiful...
    brand new..
    so everythings high tech..
    bit expensive well.. same price as wake up.
    but well worth it.

i liked bounce first..

then wake up..
    then base..

wake up and base are more central.

but in saying that.. bounce is like.. 2 mins from wake up.

savage rooftop balcony tho! with a free bbq every week!

Advertisement