Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Anise

Options
  • 05-01-2011 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭

I cant stand the stuff,I mean its revolting but its put in everything thats made at home when I'm not making the dinner,worst thing is she's not using Muslin or anything to take it after cooking,the bloody spiky yolks are just sittin there in my stew/bolognese/curry etc etc waitin for me to bite down on it!

What can I do to stop her using it,give me alternatives or something!

I can taste it now,yuck!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Don't eat it or you do the cooking. Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Don't eat it or you do the cooking. Simple.

Thanks,Mod...sorta

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I posted on a personal capacity there. Seriously though - why put it in the dishes if she knows you really don't like it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

You don't like anise, or the idea of whole spices remaining in your food?

If you like anise, use fresh fennel or fennel seeds instead for the anise flavour. Or grind star anise up into powder in a coffee grinder; using a microplane would work too. No more whole pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Just ask the cook to leave it out.

Star anise in a bolognaise... riiiiiight... buy the cook a bottle of pastis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pastis) and suggest they drink that, traditional style - start with a straight glass and top up with water after every sip until finally you're mostly drinking water. That'll sort out their aniseed cravings.

• Advertisement
Advertisement