Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blackburn vs Liverpool 20:00

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Kyrgiakos shown up badly for both those goals. Beautiful ball from The One for the first. If he'd had his shooting boots on Blackburn would've been out of sight by halftime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Mister men wrote: »
    The team Hodgson picks is totally unbalanced.

We play two centre backs who can't kick a ball straight together. They are both clueless and how Skrtel has survived at this club for so long I really do not know.

He plays a front two that do not complement each other at all. Fernando wants through balls and early ones at that, instead we hit Ngog who fumbles about back to goal as though he is Kenny Dalglish and is about to create something.

Torres is wasting his time and it shows. Ngog is a box player, we are trying to make him something he is not and he is not good enough to start EVERY game.

If Gerrard is playing centre mid he needs someone to feed into feet in the hole instead both forwards just give it away.
    There were a lot of problems on that team tonight but two of the biggest were Glen Johnson and Lucas. Those central defenders didn't lost much in the air but they go no protection from Lucas and Glen Johnson was a blatant hole in the defense.

Torres look disinterested from the very start too.

Ngog isn't good enough but he is only player I would give credit to tonight. He at least tried which nobody else seemed to do for Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

BBC interviewer after the game. Not one single question on his future. :confused:
    What the hell is going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Liverpool are a poor team. Not all Hodgson's fault thought tbh. But, he hasn't a fcuking clue how to play away from home. Not a notion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Bring back Rafas one liner answer to every question in the post match interview

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

flahavaj wrote: »
    Kyrgiakos shown up badly for both those goals. Beautiful ball from The One for the first. If he'd had his shooting boots on Blackburn would've been out of sight by halftime.

The second goal was shocking, he let him turn so easy, shocking defending

Bring back Rafas one liner answer to every question in the post match interview
    Just bring back Rafa for feck sake. Dion Fanning was bang on tbh.

Who signed Kyriakos again?

SantryRed wrote: »
    Liverpool are a poor team. Not all Hodgson's fault thought tbh. But, he hasn't a fcuking clue how to play away from home. Not a notion.
    It is Hodgson's fault. He is the manager. No one else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Hodgson is obviously going to be made the scapegoat and will no doubt be shown the door but the brutal reality is that Liverpool have found their level. Their squad is nowhere near as good as Man United's, Arsenal's, Man City's, Chelsea's or Spurs'. That is abundantly clear. They can still realistically finish sixth in the table and that is as good as it's going to get I'm afraid.

Hodgson has turned Torres into Duncan Ferguson. Well done Roy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,684 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Hodgson is obviously going to be made the scapegoat and will no doubt be shown the door but the brutal reality is that Liverpool have found their level. Their squad is nowhere near as good as Man United's, Arsenal's, Man City's, Chelsea's or Spurs'. That is abundantly clear. They can still realistically finish sixth in the table and that is as good as it's going to get I'm afraid.

cant believe im doing this but that's bs MNG, look at the players they have and when you do you should see they are well capable 5-7 place team

Gerrard one of best CM of his generation, Torres a class act
    The list goes one

The team is low on confidence and that's because of the manager, they seem to have no fate in him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

SantryRed wrote: »
    Who signed Kyriakos again?

How much did he cost again? Im sure you recall the circumstances of that particular purchase?

Headshot wrote: »
    cant believe im doing this but that's bs MNG, look at the players they have and when you do you should see they are well capable 5-7 place team

The list goes one

The team is low on confidence and that's because of the manager, they seem to have no fate in him

Torres had a dreadful World Cup and has fared little better in the league. If you see them as a 5th to 7th place team then you are agreeing with me. They are at Blackburn-level currently imo. Look at the rest of the dross. You can't expect Gerrard to save them all the time. As I said they have found their level.

It is Hodgson's fault. He is the manager. No one else.

Ridiculous. So it's nothing on the players. At all? Kuyt has been muck all season. But had a stormer of a WC. The players aren't trying as hard as they can either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

The list goes one

A Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard who nine times out of 10 don't give a sh1t these days are worth less to a team than mediocre players like Ji Sung Park who are working hard in every match.

Reminds me of the Leeds squad 2003/04 who simply gave up save for one or two!

The list goes one

Torres hasn't looked the same player since his injury, not at the World Cup and only for one game in the Premier League this season.

Gerrard is not as consistent as he used to be which was ultra-consistent. He has his good days and bad days now. He is 30 and he has been at the top of the game for a long time now.

I still think they are good enough for 6th or 7th place with the squad they have got but thats it not higher.

Torres had a dreadful World Cup and has fared little better in the league. If you see them as a 5th to 7th place team then you are agreeing with me. They are at Blackburn-level currently imo. Look at the rest of the dross. You can't expect Gerrard to save them all the time. As I said they have found their level.

They are not Blackburn level, they are just a team outside the top 4 imo
    Torres is having the same experience as Rooney is having but the big difference is Rooney has one of the greatest managers to get him through this bad spell

They have one of the best keepers in the league with a very good CB in agger who didnt start tonight which is beyond me, Skrtel also does a fine job back there but not as good as Agger I feel

pool.png

If you dont think that team is good enough to beat blackburn I would strongly disagree with you

All this dreadful season so far is down to hodgson, he deserves every bit of grief, buying likes of Konchesky poulson, these players shouldnt be near a liverpool team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Liverpool have the players to be comfortably 6th best in the league and making a season long fight of it with Spurs etc for the CL spots.

flahavaj wrote: »
    Liverpool have the players to be comfortably 6th best in the league and making a season long fight of it with Spurs etc for the CL spots.
    I can't agree with that. They don't have the squad to challenge Spurs. They are very close to Everton imo, those two teams should be fighting out 6th/7th.

• Advertisement

Liverpool are stuffed with top International players and three world class players. I don't think you honestly believe they are at the same level as Blackburn your just looking for a reaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

They are not Blackburn level, they are just a team outside the top 4 imo
    Torres is having the same experience as Rooney is having but the big difference is Rooney has one of the greatest managers to get him through this bad spell

They have one of the best keepers in the league with a very good CB in agger who didnt start tonight which is beyond me, Skrtel also does a fine job back there but not as good as Agger I feel

pool.png

If you dont think that team is good enough to beat blackburn I would strongly disagree with you

All this dreadful season so far is down to hodgson, he deserves every bit of grief, buying likes of Konchesky poulson, these players shouldnt be near a liverpool team

Do you think Kyriakos,maxi,johnson Lucas,ngog are good enough? would you be happy to have any of them in a united team?

I forgot Mr. Kuyt,

The Muppet wrote: »
    Do you think Kyriakos,maxi,johnson Lucas,ngog are good enough? would you be happy to have any of them in a united team?
    None of them would be starting for Rovers imo.

The Muppet wrote: »

tbf the greek has been a very good buy for what 1-3m
    Maxi has shown glimpses of what he can do this season
    Lucas as iv said before isnt good enough to be starting for pool but should be used as a squad player
    The less said about Ngog the better
    I dont know what has happened Johnson, when he came 1st to pool he was superb, I always felt he dodgy with the defending thou but this season he has been dreadful and I think its because of his falling out with Roy

Majority of the players above are good enough for a team challenging for 4th spot but only as squad players

Hogson should just used gerrard off Torres to get the best out of the pair and then wait till he gets a proper striker but he has made a total balls of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭CSF

eagle eye wrote: »
    None of them would be starting for Rovers imo.
    As a neutral to the Blackburn V Liverpool weeing contest, I've no doubt that Glenn Johnson, Maxi Rodriguez and Lucas would be starters at Blackburn. N'gog might actually have a shot too. Blackburn are hardly chocfull of goalmachine strikers.

CSF wrote: »
    As a neutral to the Blackburn V Liverpool weeing contest, I've no doubt that Glenn Johnson, Maxi Rodriguez and Lucas would be starters at Blackburn. N'gog might actually have a shot too. Blackburn are hardly chocfull of goalmachine strikers.
    Well lets go through them.

Michel Salgado has been brilliant for Rovers since he got there. Glen Johnson can't defend to save his life. Salgado gets the nod every time.

Martin Olsson is 22, he got his chance last year under Sam Allardyce and has been impressive. He was out injured at the start of the campaign and has only come back to full fitness in recent weeks. He was superb tonight, is lightning quick, has a great cross and can beat players. Sorry but no chance for Maxi.

Morten Gamst Pedersen switched in to central midfield last year in a holding role. He has been playing his best football for Rovers over the last 12 months since that happened. He is a master at set pieces, not just direct free kicks but indirect ones, corners and also long throws. He has to be in the side.

David Dunn has finally gotten back to full fitness. He is by far Rover's best player when fit.

No chance that Lucas gets in ahead of either of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

tbf the greek has been a very good buy for what 1-3m
    Maxi has shown glimpses of what he can do this season
    Lucas as iv said before isnt good enough to be starting for pool but should be used as a squad player
    The less said about Ngog the better
    I dont know what has happened Johnson, when he came 1st to pool he was superb, I always felt he dodgy with the defending thou but this season he has been dreadful and I think its because of his falling out with Roy

Majority of the players above are good enough for a team challenging for 4th spot but only as squad players

Hogson should just used gerrard off Torres to get the best out of the pair and then wait till he gets a proper striker but he has made a total balls of it

The greek is **** no two ways about it, Johnson has never been superb defensively, he score a few goals which made some people oblivious to his defensive frailties for some reason.

The majority of their players are mid table quality at best, which is why that's where they finished last season and will too this season. Reina Gerrard and Torres are top quality but I get the impression that two of them appear to be fed up carrying the rest.

Roy should go but could you see fergie putting up with the sort of pereformances liverpool players are putting in this season, most of them should be ashamed of themselves, fair enough if they don't want Roy but what about the fans, they should be performing for them.

Headshot wrote:

Aside from Gerrard, Torres and Reina I don't think the rest would get in any of the top 5 first teams. (and Torres has been in shocking form) Would you not agree?

If we accept that there is now a top tier involving the current top 5 then surely we must therefore acknowledge that Liverpool are very much in that second tier. Some may think they ought to be top of that second tier but I'm not convinced. I genuinely think they are at their level.
    Liverpool are stuffed with top International players and three world class players. I don't think you honestly believe they are at the same level as Blackburn your just looking for a reaction.

Zzzzz. Of course you think that because a lot of Liverpool fans on this board (not all, but a lot) can't accept that it might be the PLAYERS that are the problem rather than the manager and like to lash out at anyone that dares question their Hodgson hating bandwagon. Liverpool just aren't good enough.

Well lets go through them.

Michel Salgado has been brilliant for Rovers since he got there. Glen Johnson can't defend to save his life. Salgado gets the nod every time.

Martin Olsson is 22, he got his chance last year under Sam Allardyce and has been impressive. He was out injured at the start of the campaign and has only come back to full fitness in recent weeks. He was superb tonight, is lightning quick, has a great cross and can beat players. Sorry but no chance for Maxi.

Morten Gamst Pedersen switched in to central midfield last year in a holding role. He has been playing his best football for Rovers over the last 12 months since that happened. He is a master at set pieces, not just direct free kicks but indirect ones, corners and also long throws. He has to be in the side.

David Dunn has finally gotten back to full fitness. He is by far Rover's best player when fit.

No chance that Lucas gets in ahead of either of them.
    Definitely taking all of that with a pinch of salt. Even last season that would have all been laughed out of the house. Gos to show how much the Hodgson regime has sunk Liverpool. And jesus, given how much better these Blackburn players are than the obviously underachieving Liverpool 1s, they're only 3 points ahead having played 2 games more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭slingerz

Aside from Gerrard, Torres and Reina I don't think the rest would get in any of the top 5 first teams. (and Torres has been in shocking form) Would you not agree?

If we accept that there is now a top tier involving the current top 5 then surely we must therefore acknowledge that Liverpool are very much in that second tier. Some may think they ought to be top of that second tier but I'm not convinced. I genuinely think they are at their level.

Zzzzz. Of course you think that because a lot of Liverpool fans on this board (not all, but a lot) can't accept that it might be the PLAYERS that are the problem rather than the manager and like to lash out at anyone that dares question their Hodgson hating bandwagon. Liverpool just aren't good enough.

Meireles has to be included in the list of Liverpool players that would get in any other premiership side. He's been a shining light for Liverpool this season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Surely one of the most epic nights in PL history. Liverpool demolished by Blackburn, Wolves beat Chelsea and Leon "Donkey" Best scores a fupping hatrick!

Donkey? Whats that based on? I was under the impression he was banging them in for Coventry before his move to Newcastle.

slingerz wrote: »
    Meireles has to be included in the list of Liverpool players that would get in any other premiership side. He's been a shining light for Liverpool this season
    You're taking the mickey surely? He has done well alright, but I can only imagine him trying to get into the Arsenal or Chelsea midfields when the players they have are on form. Meireles has to an extent looked so good because everyone else has looked so bad. He is good but not THAT good.

Definitely taking all of that with a pinch of salt. Even last season that would have all been laughed out of the house. Gos to show how much the Hodgson regime has sunk Liverpool. And jesus, given how much better these Blackburn players are than the obviously underachieving Liverpool 1s, they're only 3 points ahead having played 2 games more.

Last year we drew with Liverpool at Ewood but should have beaten them. We lost to them 2-1 at Anfield in a tight game. At home we beat Arsenal and Villa, drew with United, Liverpool, Everton and Chelsea. Thats 6 of the top 8 teams last year, we lost to City and Spurs.

Our problem is our away form. When that improves we will be contenders for a Europa Cup place. We have money to spend now too so hopefully we can bring in some competition for places up front and in the middle of the park.

Last year we drew with Liverpool at Ewood but should have beaten them. We lost to them 2-1 at Anfield in a tight game. At home we beat Arsenal and Villa, drew with United, Liverpool, Everton and Chelsea. Thats 6 of the top 8 teams last year, we lost to City and Spurs.

Our problem is our away form. When that improves we will be contenders for a Europa Cup place. We have money to spend now too so hopefully we can bring in some competition for places up front and in the middle of the park.
    Away form is Liverpool's achilles heel too to be fair, their home form is better than yours. I dislike Liverpool as much as the next man but if the Blackburns, Boltons, Sunderlands and Fulhams of the world start to think that the bulk of the players they have are better than the bulk of the players at Liverpool, they will eventually come to a big shock. There are gigantic problems at Liverpool, they're a joke, but there is still a large amount of footballing ability at that club, not as much as the new top 5 by any means, but definitely more than the teams I've mentioned above.

Away form is Liverpool's achilles heel too to be fair, their home form is better than yours. I dislike Liverpool as much as the next man but if the Blackburns, Boltons, Sunderlands and Fulhams of the world start to think that the bulk of the players they have are better than the bulk of the players at Liverpool, they will eventually come to a big shock. There are gigantic problems at Liverpool, they're a joke, but there is still a large amount of footballing ability at that club, not as much as the new top 5 by any means, but definitely more than the teams I've mentioned above.
    I'm not deluded though. If you said to me that Reina, Konchesky, Gerrard and Torres would definitely be in our side I'd have to agree. And maybe even Joe Cole. Skrtel would not be in our team though. Even with Torres being muck at the moment you would have to say he would be in the side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Lawro???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Hang on.

We were challenging for 4th with City, Spurs and Villa all last season pretty much until we finally fell away at the end. This was considered by most (including myself) to be an underachievement.

I think Spurs have a stronger squad than us, but to say we could not be challenging them is just nonsense. We are 11 points behind them with a game in hand, but we've been pretty much as bad as we can be.
    If we had a good manager we would be close to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

slingerz wrote: »

Meireles couldn't lace Carricks boots!!!

curry-muff wrote: »
    Meireles is better than any central midfielder currently at Manchester United. Closest to him is Darren Fletcher.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

no hands?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Meireles is better than any central midfielder currently at Manchester United. Closest to him is Darren Fletcher.

Same Carrick that played a blinder in midfield when we beat Blackburn 7-1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Same Carrick who has been either awful or anonymous most times i have watched him the last two seasons.

Where is Carrick in my post?

ffs

any utd player would of been outstanding on that day, hell if utd had lucas he would of been outstanding

Blackburn were ****e that day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Where is Carrick in my post?

Lacing Fletchers boots?

• Advertisement

Hang on.

We were challenging for 4th with City, Spurs and Villa all last season pretty much until we finally fell away at the end. This was considered by most (including myself) to be an underachievement.

I think Spurs have a stronger squad than us, but to say we could not be challenging them is just nonsense. We are 11 points behind them with a game in hand, but we've been pretty much as bad as we can be.
    If we had a good manager we would be close to them.

No use bringing up the past. This is part of the problem.

Last season Liverpool had Benayoun and Mascherano (the latter being one of the few players that would definitely make the first team of the current top 5. Benayoun would be more debatable but would be in contention)

I ask again on current form which Liverpool players would get into the first XI of the top 5 teams? If you can't name more than a handful, and I doubt you can, why make Hodgson the scapegoat when the players just aren't up to it? Also, with all due respect, there is no way Liverpool's current crop ought to think about challenging a team like Spurs. I mean anyone who thinks this Liverpool side could compete with Inter the way Spurs did for example is way off the mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

I'm not deluded though. If you said to me that Reina, Konchesky, Gerrard and Torres would definitely be in our side I'd have to agree. And maybe even Joe Cole. Skrtel would not be in our team though. Even with Torres being muck at the moment you would have to say he would be in the side.

have to disagree with you on the "maybe" Joe Cole wouldn't have him near the side hes been a flop for Liverpool any time I've seen them and I'd not drop any current Blackburn player to play him.

At best Cole would be a possible impact sub if we need a goal because hes not doing anything on the pitch to merit a starting place in any premier league side at the moment. For the wages he'd look for though he wouldn't be worth buying for this.

Re the others - love to see them at Blackburn :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Hmmmmmm you are basing this on 14 league performances? GTFO.

Konchesky is shocking. I sincerely hope that deduction is down to a weakness at Left-back for Blackburn, and not based on any sort of merits you think Konchesky has. And I'd still consider your comparisons stated earlier as deluded, even if they're not deluded to the extent that you'd think Gerrard, Torres and Reina couldn't get into the Blackburn side.

Konchesky is shocking. I sincerely hope that deduction is down to a weakness at Left-back for Blackburn, and not based on any sort of merits you think Konchesky has. And I'd still consider your comparisons stated earlier as deluded, even if they're not deluded to the extent that you'd think Gerrard, Torres and Reina couldn't get into the Blackburn side.
    And I'm pretty sure you don't have the slightest clue about most players at Rovers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement