Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Little things that annoy you about the Irish/British media?

• 05-01-2011 6:09pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭

Right, this might seem daft, but there are a LOT of little things that annoy me about the Irish media.

I'll start the ball rolling.

There is no club in the world called Inter Milan.

The club's name is Football Club Internazionale Milano , in Italy there are called Internazionale or just Inter. Never Inter Milan.

It's like calling Arsenal "Arsenal London" or calling Everton "Everton Liverpool" or calling Aston Villa "Villa Birmingham".

What's even more annoying is when talking about football and mention Milan and someone says "which Milan", there is only one club in Italy called Milan.
    Even Italians call them "mi-lan" never "A.C. Milan".

There, that's my rant over.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

The amount of lies and make-believe stories, most seem like they happened in the writers game of Football Manager so there is a chance it could happen in real life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

"Reporters" who won't put their name to the bull**** they peddle as a story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Which came first,the chicken or the egg?

Everyone I know calls them Inter Milan which could have led to the media simplifying it for the paperbuying/SSN watchers amongst us.Or as you are saying the media coined it first and we lapped it up.Either way,I dont mind it.

Mark Lawrenson,he annoys me about British/Irish media!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Andy Gray is an annoying little thing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Garth Crooks - on yer bike mate please!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Johnny foreigner not liking the cold when it comes to football.:rolleyes: Oh and constant xenophobia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

Willie O Dea's self-serving bull**** column in the Sunday Indo.

Vomit inducing stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Any story which uses the phrase, ''a source close to the star yesterday claimed.........(Insert made up story)''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Oh and when reporters or editors wont even do some simple checks on whats written.

I saw this one article the headline read:

"Liverpool in hunt for teenage sensation"

The "teenage sensation" was 22 !?! And his age was in the ****ing following paragraph underneath.

Lazy ****ers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Willie O Dea's self-serving bull**** column in the Sunday Indo.

Vomit inducing stuff.

Jaysus is Willie writing a football column now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

2 things that annoy me about British media ....

Jamie-Redknapp-001.jpg

andygray.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

Jaysus is Willie writing a football column now?

:pac: Sh*t I really should check which forum I'm in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Oh and when reporters or editors wont even do some simple checks on whats written.

I saw this one article the headline read:

"Liverpool in hunt for teenage sensation"

The "teenage sensation" was 22 !?! And his age was in the ****ing following paragraph underneath.

Lazy ****ers.

What?? He was 22 at that time, so i assume he was a teenager at one point and he was sensation as a teenager not any longer hence Liverpool been connected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

easy.

the English media's fascination and overhyping of anything English.

to almost the point of xenophobia towards anything foreign.

you can just reference their treatment of Rafa as opposed to Roy. (this will not turn into a Liverpool debate, but this is the best example i can come up with).

the preferential treatment of the likes of 'Arry Redknapp, who, despite never winning anything of real note bar an FA Cup with Portsmouth, is regularly heralded as the second coming.

the fact England failing is Capello's fault, despite the fact his methods have been more than sufficient in all club football, and international football up to World Cup 2010, this also lends evidence to the existence of an 'anti-foreigner' agenda.

so yeah, i'm not particularly enamoured with the English media's verging on xenophobic tendencies. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

mixednuts wrote: »
    2 things that annoy me about British media ....

Jamie-Redknapp-001.jpg

Top, top post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

The absolute refusal of pundits (Gray, Redknapp, Lawrenson, Hansen, etc.) to criticise pretty much any English player of note, but particularly Gerrard and Lampard. The worst they can muster is "Oh, he'll be disappointed with that, will Stevie" after Gerrard hits the corner flag with a penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,617 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Sky Sports going on as if football began in 1992.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    The absolute refusal of pundits (Gray, Redknapp, Lawrenson, Hansen, etc.) to criticise pretty much any English player of note, but particularly Gerrard and Lampard. The worst they can muster is "Oh, he'll be disappointed with that, will Stevie" after Gerrard hits the corner flag with a penalty.

An English player "wins a penalty.
    A foreigner player "makes the most of it".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

I heard Ruud Gullit's name being pronounced 'Gullit' and not 'Hullit'

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Leejo

I literally can't stand Jamie Redknapp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Just in general how Sky over-hype anything British. Then you have some ignorant fools who use "if you didnt believe everything Sky said and had your own opinion" as a reason for why league X is better than the Premiership.
    Also, the constant praise of Gareth Bale is getting annoying (even for Spurs fans!), like when he puts in a decent cross you'll hear the commentator say "oohh that was a brilliant cross, just no one on the end of it.."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,617 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I also hate every moniker Sky Sports gives "big weekends"

its time for.... GRAND SLAM SUNDAY!!!!!!

That doesn't even make any sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

I also hate every moniker Sky Sports gives "big weekends"

its time for.... GRAND SLAM SUNDAY!!!!!!

That doesn't even make any sense.

AND IT'S LIVE!!!!

decent satire of Sky's broadcasting style here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

1 thing that annoys me about Irish media ....

&t=1&usg=AFrqEzfVBxegXv5m6-zap0F8vy151S8_uw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

The fact that the English media will hound out the incumbent English manager because they think someone else (probably English) will do a better job.

They get their way and after 8-10 months they're hounding out that guy too.

Also, the fact that just because England aren't good enough to win the World Cup or the Euros, it's all the manager's fault and nothing to do with the fact that they simply don't have the squad and their first XI aren't fit enough to clean the boots of the likes of the Spanish First XI!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Andy Gray and Martin Tyler going on and on as if the Premier League is the only league that ever has late goals. Teams in other leagues take the last 10 mins of games off, apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Journalists who make up that they had interviews with foreign players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Richard Noggin

Very small, but newspapers putting the word ''Kop'' into every Liverpool related headline, even when it makes absolutely no sense.

Also, the ''analysis'' on MOTD- sleep inducing smug shoite-hawking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

MrStuffins wrote: »
    The fact that the English media will hound out the incumbent English manager because they think someone else (probably English) will do a better job.

They hound out England managers regardless of where they are from, unless you dont remember them calling Taylor a turnip, McLaren Rainman and nearly got Sir Bobby to jack before the best England have achieved since the 60s.

The paper press are a joke.

• Advertisement

dooferoaks wrote: »
    They hound out England managers regardless of where they are from, unless you dont remember them calling Taylor a turnip, McLaren Rainman and nearly got Sir Bobby to jack before the best England have achieved since the 60s.

The paper press are a joke.

I wasn't implying the press don't hound out English men, i was just implying that nowadays they seem to always want an English man to replace whoeve the current foreign manager is.

But that wasn't even my main point. my main point was the fact that they hound out every man who ever holds the post of England manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Gillington wrote: »
    Which came first,the chicken or the egg?

Everyone I know calls them Inter Milan which could have led to the media simplifying it for the paperbuying/SSN watchers amongst us.Or as you are saying the media coined it first and we lapped it up.Either way,I dont mind it.

Mark Lawrenson,he annoys me about British/Irish media!

I remember saying "Inter Milan" to an Italian before, he was very quick to correct me to how the majority of Italians feel about people referring to them as Inter Milan. If people know you know the difference, then they think you are trying to be insulting or on the windup.

Ignorance is bliss I suppose.

English pundits wont slate English players because they probably know each other personally but its still annoying to see them not slate performances when they should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

ziggy wrote: »

Who would you rate, out of interest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

142114.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

<Cunningham pic>

Despite his eyebrows he's one of the best panelists in RTÉ, alongside Sadlier. If they're the future of RTE's football coverage then all is good!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Irish players being hyped up, some expecting Ireland to qualify for tournaments while not taking into account limited players.

Again on the hype thing, not being honest about a players ability, i.e. if they were foreign they would come out and say they are poor players but don't do the same for Irish players.

Gary Lineker, Lawro, Hansen :(

ziggy wrote: »

You had me going there for a second! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭xw2lj9uspm1eyh

The arrogance of some of the British media during the World Cup bigging up England's chances like they do every World Cup year and Headlines like these.Then they wonder why some Irish people don't cheer their neighbours on in the World Cup

eptsportssowexperts3271.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Dempsey wrote: »
    I remember saying "Inter Milan" to an Italian before, he was very quick to correct me to how the majority of Italians feel about people referring to them as Inter Milan. If people know you know the difference, then they think you are trying to be insulting or on the windup.

Ignorance is bliss I suppose.

Whilst calling them Inter Milan is something that annoys me, it is very common for Europeans to call Manchester United "Manchester". So swings and roundabouts really.

A lot of good posts so far. I'll add the ridiculous over-hyping of the lesser teams in the Premiership and the competitiveness of the English league. Apparently they don't get upsets in Spain. Nobody told Hercules I guess!

• Advertisement

Whilst calling them Inter Milan is something that annoys me, it is very common for Europeans to call Manchester United "Manchester". So swings and roundabouts really.

Was gonna make this same point myself.

Not really imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Mister men wrote: »
    Johnny foreigner not liking the cold when it comes to football.:rolleyes: Oh and constant xenophobia

Someone said it about Arshavin on RTE :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Dempsey wrote: »
    Not really imo

Watch almost any European commentator over the past 20 years and they call United "Manchester". Some players have even called them that in press conferences or interviews The same way we say Deportivo and the Spanish would say La Coruna.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Sky going on about Joe Hart's amazing feet after he made a pretty good but replicable by another keeper save from RVP. They wouldn't shut up about them for about 5 minute because they had to define exactly why Joe Hart is better than other keepers.

'If he didn't move his feet there, he wouldn't have got to the ball'

2 mins later

'Yes, like you say Andy, his feet made that for him'

Seriously :rolleyes:

Non English national team goalkeepers also possess these feet things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

The fact that any club that employs a certain Mr Keane as manager has to change its name, i.e. the club formerly known as Ipswich now known as "Roy Keanes' Ipswich" in the same way Sunderland became "Roy Keans' Sunderland" (soon to be "Roy Keanes' Accrington Stanley........)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Hyping up every game as if it's a cup final.

Watch almost any European commentator over the past 20 years and they call United "Manchester". Some players have even called them that in press conferences or interviews The same way we say Deportivo and the Spanish would say La Coruna.

Inter & Milan are both world famous clubs for decades, until this season Europeans didnt have to make the distinction unless talking about the EPL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Jason_Cundy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

The fact that any club that employs a certain Mr Keane as manager has to change its name, i.e. the club formerly known as Ipswich now known as "Roy Keanes' Ipswich" in the same way Sunderland became "Roy Keans' Sunderland" (soon to be "Roy Keanes' Accrington Stanley........)

+1

• Advertisement
Advertisement