Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Little things that annoy you about the Irish/British media?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

without mentioning the obvious andy gray jamie redknapps of this world nobody has mentioned ian wright....an utter biased prick everything that steriotypes the english media is him.

a certain irish papers sunday football heading ''a real irish sunday''....yes a little section on the local football that requires me to get a magnifying glass out to read it.

The whole idea that the premiership is the only league in the world.

sky sports commentators not expressing what they really think starting to think the commentry is scripted now at times:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

The whole Rafa "guarantee" last year really annoyed me. The way SSN kept going on about it was so fcuking annoying and the way they kept quoting it when Liverpool didn't win a game :mad:

It's not as if any Liverpool fans actually cared whether or not he had "guaranteed" it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Dempsey wrote: »
    Inter & Milan are both world famous clubs for decades, until this season Europeans didnt have to make the distinction unless talking about the EPL.

This isn't the point though. I presume you know other Spanish, Italian, German teams who don't play in the Champions League?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Terrible attempts at pronouncing foreigners names wreck my head. Solshire and Lundberg the most headwrecking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

bohsman wrote: »
    Terrible attempts at pronouncing foreigners names wreck my head. Solshire and Lundberg the most headwrecking.

or pronouncing irish names differant.....like doherty and kinsella:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

sky sports news presenters typing on keyboards or clicking mice doing a report when they are not on camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

The fact that any club that employs a certain Mr Keane as manager has to change its name, i.e. the club formerly known as Ipswich now known as "Roy Keanes' Ipswich" in the same way Sunderland became "Roy Keans' Sunderland" (soon to be "Roy Keanes' Accrington Stanley........)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Underground

1: The fact that the Irish media now constantly refer to Thierry Henry as 'Handball cheat Thierry Henry', infuriating!
    2: When a tabloid claims "that club x were last night "locked" in talks with club y officials"
    3 The constant, extremely detailed coverage of Stephen Ireland, as if anyone cares anymore.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

_45058473_shearer512.jpg

RTÉ's panel for games like Bayern v Lyon last season, New Zealand Slovakia, Japan v Cameroon etc etc. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

The way everyone in Ireland moans and groans about sky sports and their rubbish head wrecking presenters but happily handover €80 a month for the privilage and wouldn't be seen without it. Oh wait, thats not about the media...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

iregk wrote: »
    The way everyone in Ireland moans and groans about sky sports and their rubbish head wrecking presenters but happily handover €80 a month for the privilage and wouldn't be seen without it. Oh wait, thats not about the media...

Apart from poxy streams how else do you suggest we get to watch the majority of EPL games then ?

I pay for SKY but that doesn't give me the right to pick the presenters .

Next time (probably v. soon) you sit down and watch a game on SKY come back to your post and read it .
    Then have a nice big slice of Humble Pie .

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Inter & Milan are both world famous clubs for decades, until this season Europeans didnt have to make the distinction unless talking about the EPL.

So instead of saying Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid we should just say Madrid meaning the 9 time European Champions?

I would presume that it is not beyond Europeans to know the name of a team that has played in England's top league for much of their existence (as well as playing in the European Cup in times past). I used it as it is an example of European ignorance. The British and Irish are often laughed at for cultural ignorance yet things like the Manchester example happen all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

When two foreign teams are on Irish tv, and there is a bias towards one foreign team cos they happen to be from Britain. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

So instead of saying Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid we should just say Madrid meaning the 9 time European Champions?

Is that what I said? Do you like making up nonsense to drag on an argument?

EDIT

Do you actually think that Man City are as famous as Atletico Madrid , even have a comparable European pedigree?

mixednuts wrote: »
    Next time (probably v. soon) you sit down and watch a game on SKY come back to your post and read it .
    Then have a nice big slice of Humble Pie .

M

Why would I be eating humble pie? I don't pay for sky sports, haven't had it in years, biggest waste of money I've ever seen in my life. I haven't watched a game on it be it in my house or a mates or the pub in probably 2 years.

So its probably not v. soon and more likely in a few years. Can you wait that long?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

How out-of-touch most analysts are, it's like they stopped watching football when they retired, and they don't even try to hide it.

Why do you need to be an ex-player to get a job analysing football? It clearly doesn't guarantee a high level of knowledge about the modern game, this "jobs for the boys" mentality really gets to me.
    If they hired people based on ability, most of the better known pundits today wouldn't be in a job.

Here's an article written during the World Cup, it details the shocking lack of knowledge displayed by most pundits.

"We don't know much about this team"

Then f**king google them, at least pretend you know what you're doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

dfx- wrote: »
    _45058473_shearer512.jpg

Pah ha ha ha. Yeah, what a total spanner.

One of the 'mediawatch' features (probably F365) had a good bit about him recently. Ben Arfa was playing one of his first games for Newcastle and Shearer when asked about him gives it the usual 'well he's come from abroad so no-one knows much about him'

Off the top of my head - Won a few leagues with Lyon as a squad player, moved to Marsielle and won the league with them. Has been considered one of France's up and coming stars for a few years but also has a bad boy reputation.

From Shearer's point of view - he moves to your hometown club and the only club you've ever managed, and the BBC for their reported 500K per year get 'well he's not from England so I know nothing'.

Before people say well don't watch it so - I don't. Given the appalling standard of punditry in these islands, I don't watch any of it. Tune in for the start of a match and flick over for half time. Turn TV off once full time has arrived. I recommend it highly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

iregk wrote: »

I have never ever met anyone who pays €80 a month for Sky Sports. Must be getting right ripped off.

Things that bug me

1. How Roys Keanes clubs are named - Roy Keanes Ipswich. It is never just Ipswich.

2. Spain/Barcelona/any team who play good football have a dodgy defense Bill.

3. Andy Gray.

4. CL nights on RTE and they show manyoo Vs Besiktas in a nothing game while there are far better options out there.

5. Sky Sports constant hype over the transfer window. It is always a let down, and this year they even had a countdown to the transfer window.

6. Trevor Welch and Mark Lawrenson

7. The constant Harry Redknapp love. If he was called Harry Redknappstein from Israel or Redknappioala his constant signings would be seen as bad for the game etc.

etc etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭Sunset V

Lazy punditry constantly relying on rehashed clichés like, "Top corner," "Gave the keeper no chance," and fooking nicknames in sports reporting, particularly in bulletins. Watched a sports bulletin over the Christmas, Arsenal weren't called Arsenal once in the whole report.. "The Gunners this, the Gunners that." Not an ounce of originality..... and it's parochial journalism, not what you'd expect from highly paid professional working for major TV stations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Brian Swanson.

• Advertisement

Andy Grays over analysis of everything that happens. The way he brings everything down to super slow-mo and then invents entire conversations between players that are alleged to have happened in the 1 second of real time shown is vomit inducing. Also his constant flirting with Richard Keys. Cringeworthy at best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Is that what I said? Do you like making up nonsense to drag on an argument?

EDIT

Do you actually think that Man City are as famous as Atletico Madrid , even have a comparable European pedigree?

The rest of my post that you did not quote is what I think. There should be no reason for professional journalists from another country to incorrectly name Manchester United or Manchester City. It is not just that they are ignoring City, they are calling United by a name that nobody in England would ever call them. It is sloppy work on their part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Sick of MOTD now. They'll gladly comment on Ancelotti's possible sacking from Chelsea but won't give any comment on Hodgson.

Cnuts.

Oh and Robbie Savage. Utter self indulgent wanker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

doc_17 wrote: »
    8. Kenny "on the fence" Cunningham

also, it's possible that he is El Diablo
    149952_177292955631165_100000513850349_607398_1587731_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

smokedeels wrote: »
    also, it's possible that he is El Diablo
    149952_177292955631165_100000513850349_607398_1587731_n.jpg

As much as his eyebrows freak me out:eek: , I think his match analysis does be spot on .

Now as for Jim Beglin ...I swear I change channel or go to an online stream instead .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Post match interviews with players. What's the point? The same old cliches trotted out. I think the only people who want them are tv companies.
    Managers sometimes say something interesting if a bad decision went against them.

Think I agree with every post on this thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    The amount of lies and make-believe stories, most seem like they happened in the writers game of Football Manager so there is a chance it could happen in real life.

i probably wheel this story out once a year around here, but i think its brilliant:

about 4 years ago when i was in college one of the lads on my course used to play for Athone Town (had left athlone about 3 years), never played for the first team though. anyway one day i posted a rumour on one of those trampy football-transfer-rumours.com sites that Spurs were about to wrap up his signing for £1m. I even used football manager speak, Spurs about to sign Irish starlet Will Egan from Ahtlone Town, the midfield dynamo is about to sign for one million or something to that effect.

Anyway i forget about and the next week, he tells me it was in the People (except for £100,000) and another Irish tabloid had rung his mother to ask whether there was any truth in it. It was even up on the Athlone Town forum with people asking what was going on?

Anyway hats off to the lazy writer who came up with a great headline:

Will Egan Get His Spurs?

and here's some proof i just found

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-126828297.html

Just shows you these 'sources' they talk about are bull****...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Underground

Martin Tyler's shameless display of bias towards Man United,he gets so excited whenever they have an effort on goal i have to turn my tv down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

i probably wheel this story out once a year around here, but i think its brilliant:

about 4 years ago when i was in college one of the lads on my course used to play for Athone Town (had left athlone about 3 years), never played for the first team though. anyway one day i posted a rumour on one of those trampy football-transfer-rumours.com sites that Spurs were about to wrap up his signing for £1m. I even used football manager speak, Spurs about to sign Irish starlet Will Egan from Ahtlone Town, the midfield dynamo is about to sign for one million or something to that effect.

Anyway i forget about and the next week, he tells me it was in the People (except for £100,000) and another Irish tabloid had rung his mother to ask whether there was any truth in it. It was even up on the Athlone Town forum with people asking what was going on?

Anyway hats off to the lazy writer who came up with a great headline:

Will Egan Get His Spurs?

and here's some proof i just found

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-126828297.html

Just shows you these 'sources' they talk about are bull****...

Haha.. that's class!! It's like the rumour that went around the redtops a few years ago that Liverpool were chasing French U21 captain Didier Baptiste. Didier Baptiste was a fictional player on Sky Ones Dream Team program!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Sky were always saying the EPL was the best in world for obvious reasons. Lately though they have gone into overdrive. Every game they show now has at least a couple of comments such as "That is why this is the greatest league in the world" etc etc.. Fair enough if they think it but they do constantly have to drive it down our throats.

Just last week Andy Gray was typically trying to undermine the Spanish League saying " I wonder how Barcelona would fare on a cold night at the Brittania?". Watch out for it, they are getting worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Warper wrote: »
    Sky were always saying the EPL was the best in world for obvious reasons. Lately though they have gone into overdrive. Every game they show now has at least a couple of comments such as "That is why this is the greatest league in the world" etc etc.. Fair enough if they think it but they do constantly have to drive it down our throats.

Just last week Andy Gray was typically trying to undermine the Spanish League saying " I wonder how Barcelona would fare on a cold night at the Brittania?". Watch out for it, they are getting worse.

sure in last nights game they were jokingly saying how the producers have told Martin Tyler he isnt allowed to talk about 0-0 draws. i'm nearly sure they were half serious....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Dante

That incredibly annoying Northern Irish presenter on Match Of The Day 2 who tries to crack a joke in every fúcking sentence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

That incredibly annoying Northern Irish presenter on Match Of The Day 2 who tries to crack a joke in every fúcking sentence.

I've always hated that f*ck! The minute i saw him on MOTD2 i stopped watching! It's just not worth it!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Seaneh wrote: »
    Right, this might seem daft, but there are a LOT of little things that annoy me about the Irish media.

I'll start the ball rolling.

There is no club in the world called Inter Milan.

The club's name is Football Club Internazionale Milano , in Italy there are called Internazionale or just Inter. Never Inter Milan.

It's like calling Arsenal "Arsenal London" or calling Everton "Everton Liverpool" or calling Aston Villa "Villa Birmingham".

What's even more annoying is when talking about football and mention Milan and someone says "which Milan", there is only one club in Italy called Milan.
    Even Italians call them "mi-lan" never "A.C. Milan".

There, that's my rant over.

The champions of Brazil are also called Inter and there are Evertons in Chile and Cork; you have to distinguish them somehow. ;)
    the fact England failing is Capello's fault, despite the fact his methods have been more than sufficient in all club football, and international football up to World Cup 2010, this also lends evidence to the existence of an 'anti-foreigner' agenda.

so yeah, i'm not particularly enamoured with the English media's verging on xenophobic tendencies. :pac:

Pff, every England manager gets exactly the same treatment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

Colin Murray has serious Napoleon Dynamite vibes.

article-1268072-09403676000005DC-796_306x373.jpg

On the plus side we won't have to hear Roy Keane's Ipswitch anymore...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭CianDon

There's a couple of things I hate about the football media.
    Mainly, It's amazing that 'Irish Newspapers' usually devote about 4or 5 pages every day and even some have big flashy supliments on the Premiership yet in those same papers you'd have to go properly searching and hope a bit that there might just be League Of Ireland scores. These papers aswell as most other media outlets, bar those connected with clubs, simply ignore our own domestic league. A league that over 2 tiers covers the majority of this country. RTE are one of the title sponsors of the league but what do we get??? 5 or 6 live games a year (Sky do more in a weekend) and an hour of highlights on a Monday. Those highlights don't even give one mention in the slightest to the First Division and the 12 teams battling it out there.

Another point is the fact that sooo many people go around when in reference to some club over a 150 miles from their home as 'WE'. These people are propley no further than 15 miles from a LOI ground but yet tie themselves to these huge businesses which have bought the history of what was once a proud club.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Sky Sports annoy me a lot. Gray, Keys, Redknapp, Brian Swanson with that big head of his, its almost like they know how to get on my nerves every time. If it wasn't for the lovely girls presenting SSN i would never watch the channel. Also there coverage of La Liga games on Sunday, they cut out the 1st half of the 6pm game to show The Last Word, last season they only showed the 2nd half of El Clasico so we could all watch Andy Gray talk rubbish. Then again this week the Athletic vs Barca game we only got to see the 2nd half again because this time they wanted to show Ashes HIGHLIGHTS! I know the Ashes are big in England and sometimes these games are available on the red button but it still really annoys me. Plus i don't have a red button.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

CianDon wrote: »
    There's a couple of things I hate about the football media.
    Mainly, It's amazing that 'Irish Newspapers' usually devote about 4or 5 pages every day and even some have big flashy supliments on the Premiership yet in those same papers you'd have to go properly searching and hope a bit that there might just be League Of Ireland scores. These papers aswell as most other media outlets, bar those connected with clubs, simply ignore our own domestic league. A league that over 2 tiers covers the majority of this country. RTE are one of the title sponsors of the league but what do we get??? 5 or 6 live games a year (Sky do more in a weekend) and an hour of highlights on a Monday. Those highlights don't even give one mention in the slightest to the First Division and the 12 teams battling it out there.

Another point is the fact that sooo many people go around when in reference to some club over a 150 miles from their home as 'WE'. These people are propley no further than 15 miles from a LOI ground but yet tie themselves to these huge businesses which have bought the history of what was once a proud club.

Firstly its called supply and demand and adhering to the paying publics needs/demands, really hope you dont run a business.

On your second point re. supporting a local LOI team, easy to say for you if your from Cork, I personally live in North Tipp, there is no LOI team in my locality and I love football so tell me exactly what is wrong with me supporting Celtic :confused:

Seems to me that all LOI fans do is moan about no-one supporting them or caring rather than going out and doing something pro-active about it and making the league a more attractive and viable option for football fans in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

136700d1251910625-ssn-better-than-qvc-hyping-nothing-jim-white.jpg

This guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

Seaneh wrote: »
    Right, this might seem daft, but there are a LOT of little things that annoy me about the Irish media.

I'll start the ball rolling.

There is no club in the world called Inter Milan.

The club's name is Football Club Internazionale Milano , in Italy there are called Internazionale or just Inter. Never Inter Milan.

It's like calling Arsenal "Arsenal London" or calling Everton "Everton Liverpool" or calling Aston Villa "Villa Birmingham".

What's even more annoying is when talking about football and mention Milan and someone says "which Milan", there is only one club in Italy called Milan.
    Even Italians call them "mi-lan" never "A.C. Milan".

There, that's my rant over.
    A "source" revealed is my pet hate.It actually means "I made this up to sell papers". By the way anyone who reads the Sun is almost brain dead.Very almost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭holidaysong

Irish papers printing the results, scorers and tables from the Scottish Third Division and English League 2 and not a sign of a League of Ireland result or table.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I despise most things about the media

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

DrumSteve wrote: »
    136700d1251910625-ssn-better-than-qvc-hyping-nothing-jim-white.jpg

This guy.
    Hes a rangers man BTW.Therefore,I agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

Dean Windass on Sky Soccer Saturday.

Everytime he tries to explain an incident in a match is like trying to listen to a radio and turning the volume off and on every few seconds.

Kamara is just as pointless but sometimes he is funny (obvoiusly not on purpose).

Don't get me started on Le Tissier and Merson - I think they just shout "GOAL - OH NO - WAIT - AHHHHHH" in the background all day hoping Stelling will talk to them!

• Advertisement
Advertisement