Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

To haggle or not

• 05-01-2011 7:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

The missus was in b+q last night picking out bathroom suites for an overhaul in the house.

The sale price was 50% off with another 15% off that if you buy and pay before next monday or tuesday.

Was talking about it in work today and a lad pipes up with "i'd beat them down another bit seeing as you are spending a good few quid"

Then it was an arguement with...."you can't haggle in b+q"..."yeah you can, they are a business like any other"...

Would you haggle, do you haggle??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Of course you should, and if someone tells you that they can't give you discount, drags their knuckles and says "the price is the price" chat to their boss or go to another store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Wouldnt haggle over groceries or a dvd, but any big ticket items like HDTVs or furniture I would always try to beat them down abit more than the advertised price. Alot of shops only add cost to take it off again in "sales" so I wouldnt worry about asking for a bigger reduction. Its a buyers market these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Big Lar

You gotta haggle, if it don't work then you have lost nothing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

If you are talking to a salesperson, or anyone working on commission, then haggle away.

If you are trying to do it at the checkout, you are a prick who is wasting everyones time.

Two simple rules for haggling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

I always haggle, however vending machines have a habit of stonewalling me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I usually go "you got any student discounts??".......
    They go "no".
    I pay the full price...

Yeah, I suck at haggling...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

If its over a hundred quid, hale away. Anything less and I rarely have any luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

People haggle with me all the time, normal practice in any trade i guess.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I hated when people used to try haggle with me when I'd absolutely no say in the matter...

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Ah you have to use the auld "sure, they are selling those jeans for 5 euros down the other place!"
    Make sure you point in some random direction, insisting there is a shop selling them cheaper. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Haggle. A lot of items are over priced anyway. All they can do is say no & it's up to you whether you want to shop around or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

You absolutely should for big ticket items but make sure you are dealing with the right person from the off, otherwise your chances are slim.

If you know what the price generally is then go to a smaller retailer with that knowledge and 9 times put of 10 you will do better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

you should see my fiances mother - she would haggle over the price of a box of matches and she wins 9 times out of ten

Agricola wrote: »
    Wouldnt haggle over groceries or a dvd, but any big ticket items like HDTVs or furniture I would always try to beat them down abit more than the advertised price. Alot of shops only add cost to take it off again in "sales" so I wouldnt worry about asking for a bigger reduction. Its a buyers market these days.

Oh god it's spreading :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

bluewolf wrote: »
    Oh god it's spreading :eek:

Itsnot :pac:

Advertisement