Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Overheads Compression ?

• 05-01-2011 7:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭

What's the verdict ? What are the brothers using here ?

I'm mixing a track for pop band Fox Avenue that was recorded in the UK and like some of their other stuff, yer man plays the crash as a ride in the chorus.

It's not the finest recording in the world and playing like that has really brought up the harshness of the recording.

I've popped in the Abbey Road RS124 which has done a fine job of calming things, anything better ?

http://www.abbeyroadplugins.com/product_about_rs124_compressor_43389.aspx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

api2500 in limit mode has always been my goto. just back off on the thresh to suit taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

The mute button could be worth trying! Seriously...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

studiorat wrote: »
    The mute button could be worth trying! Seriously...

I've tried all that !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭iamnothim

Have you got room mic channels? completely squashed room mics through something 1176y and turn the overheads off completely, can sound a bit rock though which might not suit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

why compress at all? Would EQ do it? How about Multi-band compression?

• Advertisement

studiorat wrote: »
    why compress at all? Would EQ do it? How about Multi-band compression?

I'm compressing to give it a bit a whack and room, without it moving about volume wise.

As I say, I've found a solution that's grand .... I'm wondering what other guys use in the same situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭woodsdenis

For problem stuff I use McDSP MC 2000 Multiband comp, The 2 band one is great for taming specific freq, In general The Glue is the best all round Drum slammer.

The Glue I didn't try actually ..... and another one I bought. :o

I'll fire her up tomorrow.

I've not tried the McDSP yet at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭woodsdenis

The Glue will do all the parallel comp stuff because it has the mix knob. I use it
    and the Massey for ordinary comp and the MC2000 for multiband. I really just use a few plugins that work and I can get results quickly. I did a cull of my plugins folder recently and dumped nearly half of them. I am not a mixer per se so I have no need for all the Waves stuff etc.

Advertisement