Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC wireless router is asking for a different password

• 05-01-2011 7:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭

I've an odd problem with connecting to a UPC router.

We have two PC's in the house and a few other wireless devices. One PC had a spot of bother when Bitdefender decided everything was a virus and renamed every file on the system. So I had to reinstall windows XP.

But XP wouldn't recognise the UPC wireless USB adapter and, long story short, I ended up upgrading to Windows 7. This picked up the adapter with no problems.

Now, I can connect it to the router by cable with no problems. But when I try to connect wirelessly, I'm asked for a password which I don't think I have.

There's a password to connect to the router but it doesn't accept this. The other PC and wireless devices have no problems connecting to the router using this password. I've tried the default password for the router, and an assortment of random passwords from the various systems that I know aren't right but I tried anyway. I've also tried resetting the router, but that did nothing.

So, basically I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar problem or know what I'm doing wrong. I'm sure it's something obvious, but I just can't place it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

humanji wrote: »

Now, I can connect it to the router by cable with no problems. But when I try to connect wirelessly, I'm asked for a password which I don't think I have.

If you login into your Router configuration page, under the Wireless settings you should see an option for WEP or WPA, it will have your wireless password you need to reconnect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Ah, that's the other problem I should have mentioned. When I do that, it's just a number of black circles to hide what it is. I click on the option to show the letters and they just change to *********. I've no idea why it won't show them.

I don't know if it's just a standard amount of blanked out letters it shows, but the amount that do appear is the same as is in the router password that UPC gave us (the one that doesn't work on this PC, but works with all the other systems).

Not sure if that's clear? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Ah, that's the other problem I should have mentioned. When I do that, it's just a number of black circles to hide what it is. I click on the option to show the letters and they just change to *********. I've no idea why it won't show them.

It's probably a conspiracy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

Have you tried resetting the router

I don't know if it's just a standard amount of blanked out letters it shows, but the amount that do appear is the same as is in the router password that UPC gave us (the one that doesn't work on this PC, but works with all the other systems).

Not really :confused:
    When you say it works with the other PC's is this the password for the wireless connection?

Its going to be encrypted so you won't be able to see it. Unless you know what the password is you will have to create a new one under the wireless settings option, you can setup a WPA password. Just make sure it is at least 8 characters long has a numbers mixed as well. You will have to reconnect all the other Wireless devices once you update this.

• Advertisement

Right, I've had a tinker.

The router has it's name and password. It probably won't make anything clearer, but let's call this password UPCPASS. Now, other devices that want to connect to the router, they search for the routers name and when they try to connect, they have to enter UPCPASS as the password.

On the PC that's having trouble, I search for the router, it finds it, I try to connect to it and it asks me for a password. I enter UPCPASS, but it doesn't accept it (it's upper case, by the way).

On the router configuration page, it has the password there, but it's blanked out with little circles. There's an option to show the password, which I click, but it replaces the circles with astrixes, so I can't tell what the password is (I've incidently also tried just putting in that amount of astrixes, but it doesn't work either).

What I did notice, and am not too sure if it means anything, is that the amount of astrixes is the same amount as UPCPASS.

Now, what I've tried is changing that password in the router configuration page to UPCPASS (simply by typing it in. There doesn't seem to be any proper option that asks for the previous password, only an button at the bottom to "Apply"). Needless to say, this didn't work either.

I hope that's a little clearer. I know it may be hard to believe, but I'm actually quite sh*te at explaining things. :D

@Rebel021 - yeah, I've tried resetting it, but it's made no difference. Plus it shouldn't really need to be reset since all the other devices can connect without a bother.

@Bealtine - You seem to know too much...

Humanji, scrap my last post ;)

Just download http://download.cnet.com/WirelessKey...html?tag=mncol this and extract the file to your desktop.

I just tested it and works so straight forward enough.

You can thank Ceefax who just posted it up for another user.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Link is broken there, Vanbis.

Vanbis wrote: »
    Humanji, scrap my last post ;)

Just download http://download.cnet.com/WirelessKey...html?tag=mncol this and extract the file to your desktop.

I just tested it and works so straight forward enough.

You can thank Ceefax who just posted it up for another user.
    jor el wrote: »

DAMN YOU FOR TOYING WITH MY EMOTIONS!!!! :P

edit: I downloaded that program off the other thread, but it's not showing anything. How do I get it working?

I hope that's a little clearer. I know it may be hard to believe, but I'm actually quite sh*te at explaining things. :D

The less said the better :D

New working link...

http://download.cnet.com/WirelessKeyView/3000-2092_4-10614187.html?tag=mncol

jor el wrote: »

Fixed now, thanks

• Advertisement

Actually, just reading the comments on that page, they say it doesn't work on W7.

Actually, just reading the comments on that page, they say it doesn't work on W7.

God dam Humanji, just download it and try then complain after :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Vanbis wrote: »
    you will have to create a new one under the wireless settings option, you can setup a WPA password. Just make sure it is at least 8 characters long has a numbers mixed as well. You will have to reconnect all the other Wireless devices once you update this.

This what I do when this happens to me so it's probably the easiest solution.

God dam Humanji, just download it and try then complain after
    I did already. I'd edited my previous message, but you'd posted too quickly. So you can blame yourself for being too eager to help! :P

I think I've actually twigged what the problem is. The adapter is designed for older OS's. Windows 7 doesn't have a proper driver for it, so it decided what the next best thing would be. But this alternative driver isn't working properly. So, what I guess I've to do now is pick up another wireless adapter that I know works with W7, and check to see if that'll do the trick.

Thanks for the help though. I appreciate it. :)

I did already. I'd edited my previous message, but you'd posted too quickly. So you can blame yourself for being too eager to help! :P

I'll type a........................................ bit................................... slower.................................. next........................ time ;)
    I think I've actually twigged what the problem is. The adapter is designed for older OS's. Windows 7 doesn't have a proper driver for it, so it decided what the next best thing would be. But this alternative driver isn't working properly. So, what I guess I've to do now is pick up another wireless adapter that I know works with W7, and check to see if that'll do the trick.

Thanks for the help though. I appreciate it. :)

Just make sure it is compatible, don't want to be wasting more time now :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Nollog

You said you have two or three devices.
    If you have a second pc which connects to the upc, go to network settings and get the key from there.
    Write it down exactly and enter it on your pc with the dongle in it.

Advertisement