Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Robbie Keane on move again

• 05-01-2011 8:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

Just on Today FM, Robbie going to Birmingham as a £7 million signing.

How many teams has he played for now and how much has he made in transfer fees?

Will he slot straight into the Birmingham team?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

This another one of his boyhood teams?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Wait til we hear he'd a Brum duvet when he was 6...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

dfbemt wrote: »

How many teams has he played for now and how much has he made in transfer fees?

Would love to know this aswell .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

£7 million! :eek:

JPA wrote: »
    £7 million! :eek:

But don't you dare call A'rray a wheeler dealer .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I'm happy he didn't end up homeless again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Will slot straight into our team, good addition to the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

mixednuts wrote: »

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

[twitter.com]

Looks like more time is needed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I'd call Daniel Levy a fantastic wheeler dealer.

• Advertisement

According to RTE he's on his way to have a medical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Would prob be a good move for Ireland in fairness... we need our players playing first team football.

He did well partnered with Berbatov/ Crouch, might do good with Zigic

Hopefully we'll hear of Given going somewhere soon, there was talk of him going to Roma I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Tottenham's transfer fees in and out are nothing to do with Redknapp. It's all Daniel Levy and he's one of the best in the business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I remember hearing at the time of his last transfer he was the player from the UK/Ireland region whom the most money had been spent on in relation to transfer fees ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Not posted yet that's amazing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,469 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

mars bar wrote: »
    This another one of his boyhood teams?

Using this to have a go at Keane really annoys me.

So what if he said he supported Liverpool as a kid. So what if he later said he supported Celtic as a kid.

I reckon you will find an absolute crap load of irish people who will claim the exact same thing - or that they support United and Celtic, or Rangers and Chelsea, for example.

It really isn't at all uncommon - so why do people have a go at Keane over it?

Sure, it shows up Irish supporters (of that kind) in a bad light - but it isn't something exclusive to Keane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Wolves
    Coventry
    Inter Milan
    Leeds
    Spurs
    Liverpool
    Spurs
    Birmingham

Total fees 83m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Wonder will his wife be happy?

Galvasean wrote: »
    I remember hearing at the time of his last transfer he was the player from the UK/Ireland region whom the most money had been spent on in relation to transfer fees ever.

I still reckon he's behind Veron and Anelka for worldwide fees but he might be 3rd?

(citation needed :P )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

Would love to know this aswell .

Wikipedia says a total of around £75m paid for him in transfer fees so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,469 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I still reckon he's behind Veron and Anelka for worldwide fees but he might be 3rd?

Christian Vieri must have cost a lot over his time too - remember him being involved in a few big money moves. Hernan Crespo too, maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Wolves -> Coventry £6m
    Coventry -> Inter: £13m
    Inter -> Leeds: £12m
    Leeds -> Spurs: £7m
    Spurs -> Birmingham: £7m

Grand total of: £45 million.
    That's 5 transfers averaging in at £9 million each. impressive.

edit: woops! Forgot the Liverpool days! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

If this transfer goes through he will be number 1 for cumulative transfers which is amazing since he spent an awful long time at spurs in his first spell with us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Galvasean wrote: »
    From Wikipedia:

Wolves -> Coventry £6m
    Coventry -> Inter: £13m
    Inter -> Leeds: £12m
    Leeds -> Spurs: £7m
    Spurs -> Birmingham: £7m

Grand total of: £45 million.
    That's 5 transfers averaging in at £9 million each. impressive.
    Liverpool transfers as well worth about 32m

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Seriously who gives a toss how many teams he's played for, I don't even care what class of team in the Premier League he is playing for, just get that bloke games. Looked really rusty in the last few Irish outings.

Good signing for Brum too IMO. They badly need someone who can create and score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,416 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Good deal for both parties - and by extension a great deal for the Irish Team.

Christian Vieri must have cost a lot over his time too - remember him being involved in a few big money moves. Hernan Crespo too, maybe?

According to this article, Vieri cost £62.8m in fees before moving to Fiorentina. AFAIK there were no more fees paid for him after this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Using this to have a go at Keane really annoys me.

So what if he said he supported Liverpool as a kid. So what if he later said he supported Celtic as a kid.

I reckon you will find an absolute crap load of irish people who will claim the exact same thing - or that they support United and Celtic, or Rangers and Chelsea, for example.

It really isn't at all uncommon - so why do people have a go at Keane over it?

Sure, it shows up Irish supporters (of that kind) in a bad light - but it isn't something exclusive to Keane.

I'm delighted for him that he's going to going to a club that might get the better out of him. I have nothing against him.

It's the, "he's always had a soft spot for this club" ****e that's spouted.
    He's going because he can't get a game at Spurs and needs to be playing first team football. Why can't they just say that?

If this was any other player, I'd have said exactly the same thing.

Just get a text from my cousin in Birmingham ..
    Lets hope de pikey performs we wont stand no ****e over here

Pikey ???
    Little bollox has me wondering what he must be saying about me , I live only a couple of miles from Robbies home (Dublin)

• Advertisement

we wont stand no ****e over here

then why is Cameron Jerome still playing for them?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Cristiano Ronaldo cost more in one move surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Pikey ???
    Little bollox has me wondering what he must be saying about me , I live only a couple of miles from Robbies home (Dublin)

Well then you are the pikey, tell your cousin to get his facts right, Robbie's a dub :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Great post over in the SSC by RichMc70
    RichMc70 wrote: »
    I genuinely hope for his sake that he gets the move that suits him best regardless of which club he eventually signs for.

He's never spoken ill of spurs and has been an excellent servant of the club. Sure, he's had his critics whilst with us but no-one can say that he hasn't given 100% when playing and there's a few I could name who hasn't. Our current system does not suit his playing style. That's life.

If he had ever played for Utd or even stayed with Pool for a longer period, then the Irish press would have treated him as a semi-god but Robbie scoring goals for spurs doesn't warrant a bigger headline than ryan babel deflecting in a winner with his arse or some mexican height impaired man scoring a fluke goal with the back of his head.

I for one will be sad to see him go but when he does it will be with a great thanks and best of luck and hope to see you knocking in few more for Ireland.

In an age when most mercenary footballers are kissing the badge after scoring a goal, I'd take the likes of genuine players like Robbie any day of the week.

PS: did anyone see that Steffen Iversen scored the only goal and winner on his debut for Crystal Palace on Monday. There's a blast from the past.

Forgot about him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Something around €96million from his transfers, I think.

Good move for Robbie, Spurs, Brum and Ireland, imo. Despite the bad press he gets I like Keane, he's one of the best strikers Ireland have ever had, and the best I've ever seen for Ireland. Hope he does well at Brum and then maybe for his last season or that come back to Ireland and do a job for Rovers. >.>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

According to RTE he's on his way to have a medical.

He's on the bench tonight .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

mars bar wrote: »
    I'm delighted for him that he's going to going to a club that might get the better out of him. I have nothing against him.

It's the, "he's always had a soft spot for this club" ****e that's spouted.
    He's going because he can't get a game at Spurs and needs to be playing first team football. Why can't they just say that?

If this was any other player, I'd have said exactly the same thing.
    Have to say I'd have a bit of a soft spot for a fair few of his previous teams. Leeds, Celtic and Inter particularly. But I like to see Spurs doing well, maybe he just has really good taste in clubs :D

Except for Coventry...fuck Coventry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Looking likely he will not be signing for Birmingham at all, nothing was agreed. Both clubs are still differing on the price. Sky Sports jumped the gun again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

danny levy some boy to get great deals done

COYS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Looking likely he will not be signing for Birmingham at all, nothing was agreed. Both clubs are still differing on the price. Sky Sports jumped the gun again.

Although a reasonably good pro and great lad and all of that stuff i did not think he was worth the amounts that were being quoted in the media recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

fantasy.premierleague.com :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

THFC wrote: »
    Great post over in the SSC by RichMc70

Originally Posted by RichMc70
    I genuinely hope for his sake that he gets the move that suits him best regardless of which club he eventually signs for.

He's never spoken ill of spurs and has been an excellent servant of the club. Sure, he's had his critics whilst with us but no-one can say that he hasn't given 100% when playing and there's a few I could name who hasn't. Our current system does not suit his playing style. That's life.

If he had ever played for Utd or even stayed with Pool for a longer period, then the Irish press would have treated him as a semi-god but Robbie scoring goals for spurs doesn't warrant a bigger headline than ryan babel deflecting in a winner with his arse or some mexican height impaired man scoring a fluke goal with the back of his head.

I for one will be sad to see him go but when he does it will be with a great thanks and best of luck and hope to see you knocking in few more for Ireland.

In an age when most mercenary footballers are kissing the badge after scoring a goal, I'd take the likes of genuine players like Robbie any day of the week.

PS: did anyone see that Steffen Iversen scored the only goal and winner on his debut for Crystal Palace on Monday. There's a blast from the past.

Stopped reading here. No one picks on the pea :mad: and it was no fluke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Cris Ronaldo would defo be higher then Robbie Keane, didnt Utd pay 12ish for him, + the 80 Real paid

Also the brazilian Ronaldo cant be far off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I say Cristiano Ronaldo must be top now after that 80 million transfer to Madrid. United spent 12 on him to.

edit: im blind - didn't see post above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

Transfer doesn't seem to be going through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I thought he went ahead of Anelka when he went back to Spurs. Remember working it all out back then but couldn't be arsed now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Thankfully I didn't title this thread 'Robbie Keane signs for Birmingham' so talk of him moving to any club can certainly continue. Thanks to all the media outlets for getting the Birmingham move wrong.

It now looks like West Ham are interested but would Robbie take a chance with Championship football next season, as the Hammers look to be in bad shape and could lose their manager shortly if things don't turn around.

God knows West Ham could do with him. Cole is spent at this stage. Piquionne is not too bad and could partner Robbie well. Benni McCarthy has a mid - long term injury and Obinna is brutal so Robbie would be guaranteed a starting spot.

Fulham are also interested and I think this is where Keane could go. Fulham need a striker big time. Zamora and Johnson both have mid - long term injuries. All their goals are currently coming from midfield players or defenders !!! At Fulham, Keane would definitely start pending Zamora and Johnson returning when I think they would all be rotated.

Birmingham seems to be dead in the water. They have now signed Bentley from Spurs and Miller from Rangers so they have enough up front now and do not have pots of money to throw around.

West Ham will pay Keanes wages of £65,000 per week, Fulham want to pay no more than £50,000. Both teams mean he can stay in London.

So where will he go. I think it all depends on relegation and with that in mind I would go for Fulham. Keane and Duff together ?

Advertisement