Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for contacts re Prosthetics

Options
  • 05-01-2011 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for any contacts out there from people who have experience with upper limp prosthetics for kids. I've a small fellow who lost his arm below the elbow due to an accident and I'm looking for other parents who have had the same experience.

I'm aware of the Reach organisation however its more or less based in the UK.

So if you know anyone, I'd be willing to PM you my contact details so you can give them to that particular parent and if they wanted to contact me I'd be more than grateful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Must have been a stressful time for you OP - hope your little lad is doing okay.

The organisation below are affiliated to the National Rahab hospital. Have your doctors not been able to refer you to Irish support agencies?

http://www.abilitymatters.ie/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭largepants

Really sorry guys I'm only seeing your replies now. I have been onto various organisations etc but I was more looking for other parents whose children have some experience of wearing them. Luckily (if thats the right word) I've made contact with a lovely family within driving distance who have had experience of it.

The plastic surgeon who initially operated on our little fellow basically doesn't recommend prothetics therefore he wouldn't refer us down that route. We made contact with another consultant who firstly was very positive. The small fellow was tested for suitability and everything seemed to be progressing nicely. However the latest is that we have to wait another two years with no medical reason given. I'm guessing its got to do with money. Thats for another day.

Yes it was a very stressful at the time but it could have been a whole lot worse. He received a serious gash to this thigh and amazingly, despite loosing the toe off his shoe, his toes went left intact. I dread to think what would have happened if the emergency stop wasn't deployed. I'm sure you've guessed at this stage that it involved a ride-on mower.

So jeez whatever ye do be careful of those. All it took was a split second. Never ever cut the grass with one of them with kids around.

Sorry for going on a bit.

Advertisement