Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Back up hard drive

• 05-01-2011 8:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I am lookin at getting a new laptop and want to be sure of backing up my files frequently.

How do you do this?
    A friend suggested a Western digital passport, though I am sure lots of drives are available.
    Also I note they come with a USB 3.0 though no new laptops come with 3.0, is this relevant?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

USB 3.0 is mainly an advancement in the speeds of data transfer. If your computer can support USB 3.0 then it might help speed up the backup.

In my experience any decent external hard disk drive will be good. The Western Digital Passport might be convenient, since it's powered by a USB port. However make sure to keep it in a safe place - don't bring it with your laptop, in case they're both nicked together!

When you're backing up data it's important to decide what you need to backup. Irreplaceable stuff is first: documents, photos, family videos. Back these up, 'cause if they're lost then they're lost. Important but non-irreplaceable stuff comes second: drivers for your laptop, for example. Third is optional stuff: this is stuff that can be replaced easily and might take up too much space in your backup drive. Music and films or TV shows fall into this category.

Some backup software suites allow you to make an image of your computer. You can use this image to restore an unbootable OS instead of re-installing the OS and any software you might need. But this is still optional.

Different OSes have different ways of backing up data. If you're getting a new laptop then it'll most likely have Windows 7 on it. Below are links with information on how to back up data in Windows 7 and Vista.

Hope it answers most of your questions. Let us know if you have any more questions. Good luck! :D

Back up your files - Windows 7
    Back up your files - Windows Vista

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

Thanks Odaise that hits the nail on the head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

work wrote: »
    Also I note they come with a USB 3.0 though no new laptops come with 3.0, is this relevant?
    Thanks

my laptop came with USB 3.0 and using it with my new USB 3.0 Flash Drive you can really notice the difference in speed like 3 or 4 times faster and that's with a mid ranged flash drive not even a top range one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭tadcan

Dropbox can be used for backup as well. Its mainly used to sync files between computers and have files available on the web. You get two gig free, which should be enough for your important documents.

Consider using my referral http://db.tt/bKywO3l Me shilling for extra space.... never :D

Advertisement