Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

choosing right TV for an entertainment system

• 05-01-2011 9:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Hi all and happy new year. i hope i am in the right section and will try to keep this brief (i spent 20 min typing this the first time and then it was rejected - no idea why?????- said i wasnt logged on but i was).
    anyway, i have decided to ditch upc which currently runs at about e97 a month for net, tv and calls. i'm gonna buy a skype phone and do my landline that way and am going to free-to-air for tv. i will get wireless internet.
    the main idea of the new system is that i will be able to view/listen to the following all on a new tv screen: 1) the free to air channels and terrestrial channels (i have a sky box and dish), 2) music from my mp3 player (zen creative) and i'd like to be able to see guide on-screen and 3) i hope to be able to hook up the labtop to the bigscreen also.
    i have done a little research and know that i need a tv with a digital decoder to pick up the DTT channels (rte, etc.) and the box and dish will give me the bbc, itv, etc.
    is it possible to do the 3 things i mention??? i was looking at a 37" tv and would appreciate any suggestions. also, if anyone fancies a nixer, that might come up once i have the bits and pieces gathered up.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭superleedsdub

hi dara,

what is your budget? you should be able to do all 3 things but you`ll probably need an AV cable for the creative zen to connect to the TV, a quick search on google should sort you out with that....

Check out the terrestial and satellite TV sections on boards for more info on compatible TV`s for DTT and freesat (some TV`s such as my panasonic G20 have all the necessary tuners built in with no need for external set top boxes)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 dara.obriain

whats the story with the message that you are not logged in and it deletes your post which you spent ages typing, eventhough it says you are logged in in top right hand corner?? very frustrating. anyway, thanks for the reply superleedsdub (dubs fan as well i see!!). got impatient and bought the tv- 37" lg- and all seems well. haven't hooked up dish and sky box yet so i will let yis know. picture is great though and it reads my daughters sony mp3 no prob. it won't read my zen for some reason. i used the the usb connection that u normally use to charge it off a pc with but won't read. also tried a standard jack from the port in zen for headphones to jack connection in tv and it won't read. any suggestions appreciated. thanks.

Advertisement