Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three | Huawei E122 vs. E1820

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭platinums

This is interestingly exactly what I'm after, i want to use the E1820 with a 3G Capable Wireless router.
    Most importantly i want to see if the extra speed on the USB Dongle will push through to the router and enable me to surf at the purported 21mbs over the Router Wireless connection...
    Let us know how you get on!?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

EDIT
    platinums wrote: »
    ..and enable me to surf at the purported 21mbs over the Router Wireless connection...
    Let us know how you get on!?

That speed is the technical specification for the maximum data bandwidth the dongle can handle. You will never get that on the network, even under next to perfect conditions.

You need to lower your expectations of 'Midband'. I often get close to 400-500kb/sec, but that's at 5am.. Typically I get just under 200kb/sec on most days, depending on what sort of web application I'm using.

---

The Huawei E1820 is the more capable device.

Some specs listed:

http://3g-modem.wetpaint.com/page/Huawei+E182e+%28E1820,+E1823%29

http://www.huaweidevice.com/worldwide/productFeatures.do?pinfoId=2578&directoryId=5008&treeId=582&tab=0

The Huawei E1820 is future proof, as it was the first HSPA+ device that Huawei released.

Very easy to unlock with DC-Unlocker. I forget the price, but I think it was €3-€5 euro.

One or two boards.ie members will jump on my bones for saying this, but I do get extra stability with the E1820. I think it is a MIMO device, more than one antenna.. and that does seem to help.

Works fine with the Dovado. I have to warn you, the Three network is a BIG ISSUE with 3G capable Routers, in certain locations.

To be direct, where I live, in Dublin. The 3G Router I use, the Dovado, does not work well with Three. No Amazon, YouTube, POP3\IMAP issues.. on and on it goes. The same Router works fine with Meteor.

You will get no help\solution from Three for these issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

Condi wrote: »

Run that past me again? Why can't you use whatever modem you like and then put in an "approved" modem if you need to call support?

• Advertisement

Advertisement