Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quoted and Actual Self Build costs in 2011 - Mod warning in Post No. 1

• 05-01-2011 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

hey guys girls. have been lookin at recent threads but still unsure. Can anyone provide accurate total figure for new build in meath as follows;
    • 2850 sq ft two storey four bedroom two bathrooms.
    • 400 sqt ft garage
    • concrete built with timber upper floors and partition walls upstairs.
    • slate roof.
    • smooth render finish.
    • traditional style house.
    • underfloor heating.
    • finished to include sanitary ware and showers etc.
    thanks in advance

Mod edit: Just to add that that this thread is for posting prices you have been quoted or prices you have paid for the various aspects of domestic construction. The thread is not to be used for looking for prices. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

iggymadden wrote: »
    hey guys girls. have been lookin at recent threads but still unsure. Can anyone provide accurate total figure for new build in meath as follows;
    • 400 sqt ft garage
    • slate roof.
    • smooth render finish.
    • underfloor heating.
    thanks in advance

you wont get an accurate figure with just that. if you want an accurate figure, give the plans to a QS or estimator and get them to do up an estimate.

but, you could be looking at anywhere from €90-110 / ft². all down to interpretation really. can be cheaper, can be more epensive, but would need to see a lot more detail to get accurate price. Are you doing it yourself or getting a builder in?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 tdiman

Curious as to what level of reductions people are seeing in the building game from where prices were based 2 - 3 years ago. The prices of trades has fallen, quite sharpely in some cases, materials have not see dramatic drops (with some increases actually coming through). I'd like to know if and where people are seeing drops?

Speaking with direct labout contractors, there are definitely savings to be had as their prices fall. Going the contractor model seems to have a much smaller reduction, even though in many cases they are using the same aforementioned trades.

Have you seen or experienced any reductions? Care to share what parts of the project they were found?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

iggymadden wrote: »
    • 400 sqt ft garage
    • slate roof.
    • smooth render finish.
    • underfloor heating.
    thanks in advance

we built a 2300 sq ft house in Meath in 2010.

it is a 1.5 storey,
    concrete upstairs,
    monocouche coloured render,
    thrutone slates
    UFH upstairs and downstairs
    3 en suites plus main bathroom (all tiled floor to ceiling),
    showers,
    sanitary ware,
    ceramic tiles throughout downstairs (hall, kitchen, utility, sunroom),
    solid walnut kitchen with island and quartz worktop,
    mdf units in utility
    engineered walnut doors with high quality handles,
    cobble lock patio,
    vertical ground source geothermal heating (which we are thrilled with),
    engineered walnut floor in sitting room, laminate flooring in bedroom,
    aluclad windows (including large sunroom),
    air tightness membrane.

garage and pillars at driveway to match house.

our actual build cost was about €300k. you can allow up to €20k for costs that are not house related. i always include them in my cost per sq ft figures because one way or another they have to be paid.

our cost per sq ft worked out quite high because we built a good sized (not a massive) house and finished to the highest spec possible. the only thing we skimped on was the laminate flooring in the bedroom.

we employed a local contractor who was the cheapest quote we got.

Edit: Windows and the source of your heat will have a massive impact on your overall cost!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,754 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I know my own game has seen falls in prices.

I never really charged "big" money for any work i did..was just happy to have a job.

Now it is difficult to keep going but that's all we can do.

On a side note....i wanted to take on a guy this week to help me with a few ceilings. He wouldn't go as he wanted €200 a day after tax for a days pay!! He's still at home...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,762 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Please do not use this thread to ask for prices.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

About 8 to 9 months ago our architect estimated our build to be about 100 euro per sq ft for a reasonably high-spec build. Due to delays in getting our plans together he now reckons it's down around 85 to 90 euro per sq ft on average for the same spec.

Not concrete and based only on his experience at the moment but he seems to know what he's talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 dooneenboy

I am always loathe to declare a €/ft2 price, the reason, all houses are unique and may have issues that will add cost, whilst your own architect will have a fair handle on it, is he basing his rate on current Market conditions or has he specifically reviewed your project with you. The cost of regular construction has gone down dramatically since mid 2008 meaning greater bang for your buck, that said, some people offer rediculously low prices which may be detramental in the long run, they may end up chasing extras, not taking care or going bust and leaving you with a building site which would not be desirable.

About 8 to 9 months ago our architect estimated our build to be about 100 euro per sq ft for a reasonably high-spec build. Due to delays in getting our plans together he now reckons it's down around 85 to 90 euro per sq ft on average for the same spec.

Not concrete and based only on his experience at the moment but he seems to know what he's talking about.
    Just out of curiosity and for clarity can I ask what part of the country you're in?

Sure - in Dundalk (hence the 'fundalk' in my location).

At the moment he's giving us ball-park figures so as I said we're not taking them as gospel but as well as designing he also project-manages many of his builds and so I believe would have a reasonably good idea of pricing.

He said himself that putting a per sq ft price on it isn't truly reflective but when designing he worked according to our budget and reckons he has a close match. I'm in the process of seeking a few ballpark quotes as we speak so we'll see now if he was accurate or not I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dgs

Hey all I am new to this forum. I am currently going seeking planning permission for 3 bedroom bungalow. Does anybody have an idea of cost per sq ft both through a contractor or direct labour Im in the munster region of building house? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Advertisement

dgs wrote: »
    Hey all I am new to this forum. I am currently going seeking planning permission for 3 bedroom bungalow. Does anybody have an idea of cost per sq ft both through a contractor or direct labour Im in the munster region of building house? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    As posted above
    muffler wrote: »
    Please do not use this thread to ask for prices.

Cheers.

Got one of the quotes I was speaking about yesterday. Came back at 170,000 euro. This was for medium spec since I've not got the full spec done out by the architect. The builder went on the drawings alone and I was able to specify some of the aspects of the materials etc.

Works out at about €77 per square foot. So the Architect wasn't far wrong given we asked him to price it for high-spec. At least based on this (admittedly rough) quote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

seems a reasonable price, make sure everyone is pricing like for like. especially the plumbing equip being installed as there seems to be a huge variation in their prices.
    anything less than 75 per square usually means there are corners been cut somewhere. labour around dundalk is fairly competitive at the moment due to trades coming across the border.

Yea the architect mentioned the cross-border trade having an impact but also mentioned that it can backfire too because local builders put themselves under pressure to compete and may cut corners and also if any disputes arise (touch wood) it would be far more difficult to get a resolution from a northern-based builder, contract or no.

My architect has a builder he uses regularly and he built my missus's sisters house (next door to the site incidentally) and they did a very good job. We'll be pricing with them and obviously a few others but being able to see their previous work inside and out is a bonus when it comes to considering them for the job. In saying that I've not approached them for a quote so who knows - they may not be competitive.

We have a few hoops to jump through yet anyways so I probably shouldn't assume too much - feel like I'm jinxing ourselves here. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

pm if you want. i can send you on a couple of nos. there is one in particular from inniskeen/killany who can show you a lot of work around. i have to say they are exceptional.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Troy McClure

People seem to use different criteria for calculating €/sq.

A question I would like to ask those who have built or have every detail done.
    What kind of solicitors fees are there for building a house?. Also what other fees are there to consider, professional or otherwise.?

We have planning permission and would like to know what to expect in this regard separate from any deal we make with builders?

Also should a detailed BER be done from plans first?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

FWIW, and because it affects all builder's, not just self-builders - and I've mentioned this before, 2011 is far going turning out to be the Year of Increases, not decreases, in materials.

Received yesterday here, from suppliers of approx 7 different product ranges, is a notice of price increases, effective March 1st.

Another rang me today and advised increases of 5.9% from April 1st.

The smallest, 3%, is on Cementitious board.
    The largest, 10%, is on rolls of batt insulation.
    Most others are 7% - 8%.

Most materials, being imported, are influenced not by lack of demand (or otherwise) here, but by demand and costs abroad, including those of energy-to-manufacture (all up) and shipping (all up).

This pattern is set to continue for the foreseeable future, esp if oil prices go AWOL.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭mistermister

Just been informed by my architect that Kildare county council are decreasing planning contribution charges by 40% in April 2011.

I was facing a charge of E18,000 before and this was a huge turn off in applying for planning pemission untill now but as its going to be 10,800 from April, this is a major factor in finally deciding to apply for permission.

It will interesting to view statistics a year from now to see if there is an upturn in planning applications for new builds.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Supertech

Just had tender prices back for large bungalow in Wexford. Block build, plaster / stone finish / aluminium windows / concrete tiled roof - reasonably high spec.

Tendered Prices ranged from €74/sq.ft to €90/sq.ft - 7 prices in total - fiercely competitive tendering, numerous phone calls, canvassing of clients, proposals to reduce costs etc.

House finished internally and externally ready for decoration but excluding fitted kitchens and wardrobes, and sanitary ware will be supplied by Client.

Prices include

Geothermal Heating System (PC)
    Aluminium Windows (PC)
    Driveway / kerbs / small patio area / entrance walls and VAT !

B1 rating at the moment, but with prices like that the insulation could get a major boost.
    Couldn't believe the range of prices - nor could the Clients

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭asomeday

Hi guys

just wondering if anyone has done self-build in roscommon recently. hoping to have 4 bed house, only starting plans now would like to budget & my spacial awareness is atrocious so have no idea of ft2 requirements etc

all help appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Supertech wrote: »
    Just had tender prices back for large bungalow in Wexford. Block build, plaster / stone finish / aluminium windows / concrete tiled roof - reasonably high spec.

Surely you mean alu-clad?! A bit of a difference in U-value...

What's the insulation spec? 100mm cavity with 60mm board? Floor, ceiling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Sureepia

Hi, I'm new to this forum and hope members might be able to offer us a reality check as follows:

We had been hoping to buy a site and build a PassivHaus but have just heard from our architect in Westport that construction quotes have increased substantially recently (by almost 30%) - apparently due to rising diesel fuel prices and materials costs. Auctioneers say this is completely wrong, that construction costs are falling through the floor. Is our architect being conned or are the auctioneers living in the past?

Sureepia wrote: »
    Hi, I'm new to this forum and hope members might be able to offer us a reality check as follows:

We had been hoping to buy a site and build a PassivHaus but have just heard from our architect in Westport that construction quotes have increased substantially recently (by almost 30%) - apparently due to rising diesel fuel prices and materials costs. Auctioneers say this is completely wrong, that construction costs are falling through the floor. Is our architect being conned or are the auctioneers living in the past?

Well auctioneer's don't build houses, so imho, there would carry less credence than the Architect - an architect is involved in the actual construction of buildings, on a day-day basis.

Fwiw - and I work in the trade - there have been several large increases in materials inside the last 6 month's - timber products, all metals (ask a plumber what's happened to the price of copper piping for example.......), insulation.

Indeed, some products, increased in only Feb 2011, are going up again from the 1st April, by 5.9% (insulation).

The only that that fell, was labour cost. And depending on what you're building, that only represents a certain % of the cost of any building - the minority part. Example: if labour in a product represents, say, 10% of the cost, then, even if labour was free, the product would only come down by 10%. Add in the fact that diesel has gone through the roof (and EVERYTHING is delivered by truck), and where your auctioneer get's his numbers from escapes me............

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Sureepia wrote: »

could be wrong here, but just wondering is there confusion between the cost of standard construction and passivhaus? Passivhaus is more expensive, and can be up to 30% more, but personally I have seen prices pretty much stabilise lately, definitley not increasing by 30% anyway, but not really decreasing anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Sureepia

Galwaytt - thanks. We believed architect must be more reliable since actual recent quotes had been taken, but it's good to have independent confirmation from an insider to hold up the those vociferous auctioneers. You've been brilliant!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

bruschi wrote: »
    could be wrong here, but just wondering is there confusion between the cost of standard construction and passivhaus? Passivhaus is more expensive, and can be up to 30% more, but personally I have seen prices pretty much stabilise lately, definitley not increasing by 30% anyway, but not really decreasing anymore.

do people have to scare clients from building to a low energy (in use) standard?
    yes costs may be slightly higher, I have seen comparable costs of 10% higher to standard build (mainly due to using good contractors, the best construction methods/ U-vales and design solutions to achieve maximum air-tightness).
    BUT the savings will be made over the life time of the building and people rarely put a price on their comfort, no drafts and no condensation. The 30% higher costs are mainly due to internal finshes, something which can happen on any build. clients will stretch the budget and spend crazy money on a kitchen but not on insulation and air-tightness.

BryanF wrote: »
    do people have to scare clients from building to a low energy (in use) standard?
    yes costs may be slightly higher, I have seen comparable costs of 10% higher to standard build (mainly due to using good contractors, the best construction methods/ U-vales and design solutions to achieve maximum air-tightness).
    BUT the savings will be made over the life time of the building and people rarely put a price on their comfort, no drafts and no condensation. The 30% higher costs are mainly due to internal finshes, something which can happen on any build. clients will stretch the budget and spend crazy money on a kitchen but not on insulation and air-tightness.

no, none of that relates to what I asked the poster either. They were told construction costs had gone up by 30%. I simply asked if that was because of the passivhaus set up they had proposed to do, and that those costs are more than standard build. I wasnt scaring anyone from using low energy building methods, and if people who are building take their knowledge from simple posts like that instead of properly researching building methods and comparative costs over a lifetime of a house, then they arent going to do well with their build.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

point accepted, well said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 nellyphant

1chippy wrote: »
    pm if you want. i can send you on a couple of nos. there is one in particular from inniskeen/killany who can show you a lot of work around. i have to say they are exceptional.

@1 chippy, would you be able to pm me with those details please we are starting to build in Inniskeen in the not too distant and would be interested in pricing locally to compare it with Dundalk.

Thanx:D

• Advertisement

Just an update on most recent cost I came across (today): a contractor quoting an A2 house in Galway, airtightness below 1.0, 277m2 in size two-storey: €784 per m2.

Ode To The Motorist

Advertisement