Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Quoted and Actual Self Build costs in 2011 - Mod warning in Post No. 1

12346»

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Plans were done almost 3 years ago. Wide cavities were considered prohibitively expensive at the time. Condensation should be less of an issue thanks to the MHRV.

Also the roof is currently being slated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

About to start (finally after 2 and a half years of planning woes) a demolition of existing dwelling and building of a new 2400sqft dormer bungalow dwelling house. :)

The successful tender came in at €229,000 so about €95 per sq. ft.

Site is located outside Dundalk, Co. Louth. Winning contractor based locally.

Basic details:
    Demolition and clearance of existing dwelling and shed
    Block build
    150mm pumped cavity w/ internal kingspan K17 drylining
    200mm Foamlok blown insulation in roof
    200mm underfloor insulation
    PC sum for air-tightness (tape, membrane, blower test etc.)
    MHRV
    Triple glazed windows with coloured insulated frames
    Underfloor heating downstairs, rads upstairs
    Includes walnut doors/skirting/archetraving, spanish natural slates, sanitary fittings,
    Includes perimiter wall along front of site, paving around house and kerbing around driveway.

Excludes:
    Kitchen (Priced at ~13k)
    Tiling (Est. ~3k)
    Flooring/Carpeting (tbc)
    Gas fired boiler or air-source heatpump (tbc).

By way of renewables what have you proposed? your space water heating will properly bring you up over €100/sq.foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

Condensation should be less of an issue thanks to the MHRV.

On what basis have you concluded this?

Maybe Mods might move this discussion to new thread to keep things tidy here

archtech wrote: »
    By way of renewables what have you proposed? your space water heating will properly bring you up over €100/sq.foot.

Air source heat pump and solar tubes backed up with a condensing oil boiler we salvaged from the existing dwelling we knocked. We allowed 20k for our heating and it is coming in at 22k but I saved 5.5k on our windows so it's still a few grand under budget. Still under €100/sqft.
    On what basis have you concluded this?

MHRV extracts are in the 'wet' rooms around showers, baths, hob/ovens - should help draw much of the moist air out.

There's a drain being installed from the MHRV that removes the condensed moisture received into the HRV.

It will help. Not eradicate. But these were the options open to me at the time when we designed the house. Hindsight will always be 20/20 when it comes to doing this. That 300mm cavity I'd have loved to have gone with now may be superceded in another 3 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭1100010110

Two storey 213m2 in Northwest nearing completion,
    Block construction, 150mm cavity, external nap plaster render
    In cavity: 100mm board & 50mm pumped,
    100mm board underfloor,
    300mm in attic over 60mm ceiling board,
    UFH throughout,
    MHRV,
    Wood burning non-boiler stove & Multi fuel boiler stove (each with external air supply, and having it's own block chimney)
    Condensing oil boiler
    Ducting & pipework to garage for possible future wood log gasification boiler
    (overkill on the heat sources perhaps?)
    Solar 6m2 evacuated tubes, due South orientation on 35 degree sloping roof.
    500lt accumulator tank
    Triple glazed PVC
    Natural slate roof, roof profile straight A, so trusses up in 1 day, no hips or dormers.
    25m2 garage
    4 bed, 1 main bath & 2 ensuite with showers
    All floor finishes, all groundworks, treatment
    Bespoke staircase
    All carpentry & electrical to final fix.
    Provisional BER is A3, airtightness prior to plastering of internal walls was 5.6m3/hr@50 Pa (is this unit correct?)
    Construction to an insulated sealed structure was just under €80k
    Construction to turn key finish coming in at €284k including VAT & contractors prelims.,
    €284k/213m2= €1,333/m2, (to include the 25m2 of the garage gives €284k/238m2 = €1,193/m2 but then that's just cooking the books a little)
    No tradesmen in family or construction equipment, architects fees, Co.council fees, ESB etc. additional, contingency of 10% provided for, all out to single contractor and being overlooked by architect who was retained for the build, very happy with services provided by all.
    If I've left anything out let me know, we were in the very fortunate position of having not bought during the previous years of madness to have savings (would have been used as a deposit for a house if things hadn't collapsed so spectacularly) which have now (hopefully) been put to good use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

1100010110 wrote: »
    Two storey 213m2 in Northwest nearing completion

Good on you, and thanks for detailed post!

It's worth your while taking a look at the sticky "Live self builds" and I'm going to suggest to the mods a few of these posts belong there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,812 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Maybe Mods might move this discussion to new thread to keep things tidy here
    Shout away there archtech....give me a title and what post numbers to move and I'll sort it. Sorry Im in lazy mode as Im just back from court and Im knackered

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭john_eire

"Construction to an insulated sealed structure was just under €80k"
    Does that include ufh pipes and screed

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭fealeranger

1100010110 wrote: »
    Two storey 213m2 in Northwest nearing completion,
    Block construction, 150mm cavity, external nap plaster render
    In cavity: 100mm board & 50mm pumped,
    100mm board underfloor,
    300mm in attic over 60mm ceiling board,
    UFH throughout,
    MHRV,
    Wood burning non-boiler stove & Multi fuel boiler stove (each with external air supply, and having it's own block chimney)
    Condensing oil boiler
    Ducting & pipework to garage for possible future wood log gasification boiler
    (overkill on the heat sources perhaps?)
    Solar 6m2 evacuated tubes, due South orientation on 35 degree sloping roof.
    500lt accumulator tank
    Triple glazed PVC
    Natural slate roof, roof profile straight A, so trusses up in 1 day, no hips or dormers.
    25m2 garage
    4 bed, 1 main bath & 2 ensuite with showers
    All floor finishes, all groundworks, treatment
    Bespoke staircase
    All carpentry & electrical to final fix.
    Provisional BER is A3, airtightness prior to plastering of internal walls was 5.6m3/hr@50 Pa (is this unit correct?)
    Construction to an insulated sealed structure was just under €80k
    Construction to turn key finish coming in at €284k including VAT & contractors prelims.,
    €284k/213m2= €1,333/m2, (to include the 25m2 of the garage gives €284k/238m2 = €1,193/m2 but then that's just cooking the books a little)
    No tradesmen in family or construction equipment, architects fees, Co.council fees, ESB etc. additional, contingency of 10% provided for, all out to single contractor and being overlooked by architect who was retained for the build, very happy with services provided by all.
    If I've left anything out let me know, we were in the very fortunate position of having not bought during the previous years of madness to have savings (would have been used as a deposit for a house if things hadn't collapsed so spectacularly) which have now (hopefully) been put to good use.
    I have read the post a few times and can't make it out but maybe you might answer me anyway does this include the cost of the site too?

John_Eire, the 80k did not include UFH pipes & screed
    Fealeranger, site was gifted, construction costs are what I listed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

What have you done regarding airtightness? And what U-value for the windows?

Air-tightness measurement on the blower test prior to having internal walls plastered was 5.6, as the job is with a contractor he took care of the details such as wrapping the membrane around the hollowcore as it was laid on the inner leaf, membrane under the roof trusses prior to ceiling being slabbed, taping and sealing windows. I'll get back to on the U-value of the windows, the glazing was vista-them elite, frames are uPVC so.. the answer escapes me completely, to be honest

Just in case anyone is wondering what happened to the posts about VAT receipts......I've moved them to a new dedicated thread on the topic.

Cheers

After some detailing under doors and floor-to-ceiling windows I got the q50 down to 5.1 before any plastering or floors going in. These areas were still a big problem and will be until the floors go in because the DPC is loose and air is being lost between it and the wall. The good news is that the smoke test didn't yield any major problems outside of the above doors and windows - rest of the house seems fairly well sealed.

With a bit of care and attention to those areas as the floors are poured I should hopefully see a decent chunk off that 5.1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭fclauson

After some detailing under doors and floor-to-ceiling windows I got the q50 down to 5.1 before any plastering or floors going in. These areas were still a big problem and will be until the floors go in because the DPC is loose and air is being lost between it and the wall. The good news is that the smoke test didn't yield any major problems outside of the above doors and windows - rest of the house seems fairly well sealed.

With a bit of care and attention to those areas as the floors are poured I should hopefully see a decent chunk off that 5.1.

air getting down past the DPC was our big problem

we ended up taping every wal lto every floor

ended up with an 0.54 reading

Thanks for the input folks but can we get back to the pricing aspects please. :)

Oh crap! Confused this with the live builds thread. Mea culpa.

Oh crap! Confused this with the live builds thread. Mea culpa.
    No bother. A couple of "off topic" comments here and there is grand and at times can actually help the flow of the thread but sometimes we can get bogged down on one specific issue.

Yesterday was a good example where we had an ongoing discussion about VAT which was a good topic but in the wrong thread unfortunately.

If any of you ever feel that a specific point should have its own thread just PM any of the mods and we can look into it and move the posts if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭enricoh

A neighbor moved into his new build this time last year. He had a builder do it all, a fine house I reckon around 350k mark. He met the builder recently who told him he priced almost the exact same house, footprint , specs etc and it was 100k dearer in a year and a half. Some serious price inflation.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭j14

We were looking to add a 2nd floor onto our 80s bungalow. Architect reckoned a price of about €75k all in in Nov / Dec 2020

Job would entail, raise the roof height by 1m, a new stair case, steel work, 2 new gable ends, 3 windows, 2 bedrooms and a new family bathroom (no bath just a shower) all upstairs. Total size of the new upstairs would be 36m2.

We had planning and were good to go. We got 5 quotes in Jan / Feb 2021.

Cheapest quote was €93k most expensive was €154k, all way out of our budget.

We had to postpone it and hope that these costs come down over the next 2 / 3 years but I'm not too hopeful.

Money spent on the architect and planning application etc. now feels wasted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭j14

How is this sustainable?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Is this Brexit or covid that has caused this? Is it likely to be temporary?

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭eusap

Bit of a perfect storm, Covid means many factories are not at full capacity which drives up business costs, the raw materials are more expensive, transport costs have gone through the roof (Covid/Brexit) but also there is huge demand, housing, DIY etc.. if you look at most things on the list above they are not made in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 14 M1andM2

Received quotes for Timber Frame, one around €90k, the second over €160k, same frame, not sure why such a gap. Trying to suss the companies at the moment to see if that's why.

Advertisement