Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Is Afraid Of The Sex Culture

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

..I'm just comparing several societies and why we come off worse in it.

Why worse? Why the use of the negative context here? Just because we don't have a heritage of giant sex carnivals parading down our streets, women (most of them gross) with arse implants ect in yer face. Does that make us backward? Well I certainly don't think so. The sex culture in Ireland is a bit more private and underground thankfully, I think the word I'm looking for is tasteful. There were 6 or 7 brothels raided in Sligo in the last couple of weeks, so the 'sex culture' you speak of is out there. It just not shoved down our throats thankfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

I just got back from Brazil, a country dripping with sex
    That's called chlamidia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Seems odd that only ugly people lacking personality find this an issue, maybe it's just coincidental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I don't understand this claim among generations born from the 60s here onwards - so... know many uptight, prudish people? Can't say I do. Just because our culture isn't as overtly sexual as that of Brazil's doesn't mean we're overall sexually repressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Just coz you can't get your hole, doesn't mean the whole nation is under-sexed.

No not undesexed-but frustrated , their is a difference.... like fapping is still a popular pastime now as it was in grandmas time , back in the 50's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Latchy wrote: »
    No not undesexed-but frustrated , their is a difference.... like fapping is still a popular pastime now as it was in grandmas time , back in the 50's

Thanks Latchy... a mental image of grannies fapping is not what I needed in my head before I go to bed.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Thanks Latchy... a mental image of grannies fapping is not what I needed in my head before I go to bed.

It'll do me nicely!

One man's meat is.............eh....

Well kudos to grannies , not only were they wisely hiding the savings under the mattress but at same time also discovering the G-spot while laying on it ;),

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Just because we don't have a heritage of giant sex carnivals parading down our streets, women (most of them gross) with arse implants ect in yer face. Does that make us backward? Well I certainly don't think so.

• Advertisement

Just coz you can't get your hole, doesn't mean the whole nation is under-sexed.

12k posts in under 2 and a half years. Don't even try pretend that you're getting any sort of sex :rolleyes:

Dudess wrote: »
    Just because our culture isn't as overtly sexual as that of Brazil's doesn't mean we're overall sexually repressed.
    No but excluding the ones with the catholic guilt trips abouts sex habits ( peodopile priests excluded ) the Danes , Swedish ,Dutch ,Germans etc never had the same hangups about sex or were as sexually repressed ,or so were led to believe

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    12k posts in under 2 and a half years. Don't even try pretend that you're getting any sort of sex :rolleyes:
    Under 3 and a half years. And typing 11/12 posts per day (much of that at work, where sex tends not to be on the menu) takes up so much time that there isn't any left over for sex? Not unless you were an EXTREMELY slow typist surely?

Under 3 and a half years. And typing 11/12 posts per day (much of that at work, where sex tends not to be on the menu) takes up so much time that there isn't any left over for sex? Not unless you were an EXTREMELY slow typist surely?

Oh come on we all know that people on the internet don't get sex. Especially people who claim they get loads.

Oh come on we all know that people on the internet don't get sex.
    Gonna have to be a bit more specific.
    Especially people who claim they get loads.
    Possibly true.

Oh come on we all know that people on the internet don't get sex. Especially people who claim they get loads.

Indeed , most of the time it's the perception that aludes more than the reality on the internet ,like people can be just as much as fickle and shallow online as off .

• Advertisement

If people say on the internet they're getting loads, it just seems like they're not getting any; whereas if people say on the internet they're not getting any, it seems like they're... not getting any. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

If people say on the internet they're getting loads, it just seems like they're not getting any; whereas if people say on the internet they're not getting any, it seems like they're... not getting any. :pac:

I may or may not be getting any..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Why has Ireland no sex culture?

Is it centuries of incorporating religious values into our society or is it a matter of equality? Either way, we are one of the worlds most under-sexed nations according to a survey from Askmen.com. But it's not just that, we can see it everywhere here.

I just got back from Brazil, a country dripping with sex - casual sex is considered healthy. As soon as you arrive here, you can literally feel the "fridgidness" among society. I feel this problem can be rectified with two issues; a comprehensive sex education in school and legislation legalising the adult industry, namely, sex work.

How many of you were taught a great deal about sex in school? Very few, I'd imagine. Irish children need this to promote a healthy sexual environment.

You just got back from what, a two week jolly in Brazil, at the height of summer....celebrating New Years, which is a huge deal there. You were surrounded by ladies of the night and poor women looking for a rich gringo to free them from their favela-dwelling life. Sex was everywhere, was so easy to get..you could smell the sex in the air....

Then you returned to a cold, dark, post Christmas/New Years Ireland, in the depths of winter.

Of course Ireland is not as openly sexual as Brazil, but I think it's a bit of an unfair comparison, given the circumstances and time of year and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭RockinRolla

KungPao wrote: »
    You just got back from what, a two week jolly in Brazil, at the height of summer....celebrating New Years, which is a huge deal there. You were surrounded by ladies of the night and poor women looking for a rich gringo to free them from their favela-dwelling life. Sex was everywhere, was so easy to get..you could smell the sex in the air....

Then you returned to a cold, dark, post Christmas/New Years Ireland, in the depths of winter.

Of course Ireland is not as openly sexual as Brazil, but I think it's a bit of an unfair comparison, given the circumstances and time of year and all that.

I live in Brazil.....

Come at me, brah!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

I live in Brazil.....

Come at me, brah!

O que?

• Advertisement

Standman wrote: »
    I may or may not be getting any..
    Hmmm... Nah, that doesn't work - also just seems like you're not getting any. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Hurricane-Dean

jennyoo wrote: »
    Askmen.com? Uhhh coz men know it all
    [IMG]file:///C:/Users/dean/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG]

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭George83

The school I went to didn't give any sex ed lessons - only the A&P in biology lessons. But, that was 10yrs ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/dean/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG]

Awww man.

Sorry Dean, not to be a cunt but its a pretty bad fail when you can see you had googled "How to make a did you mean" in that screen shot, as well as trying to add your computers path to the image file instead of the URL :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

I just got back from Brazil, a country dripping with sex - casual sex is considered healthy.

It's also a country where STD cases have been rising exponentially since the the 1980's.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Paying for sex off Brazillian Hookers isnt casual relaxation OP.

There was nothing wrong with the Sex Education i recieved in school it was quite comprehensive.

Your generalisations are, well. Quite Sensational.

I talk about sex openly with my friends.

Were you schooled in bally go back no talk about sex land?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

The British have been saying the same about themselves for decades "no sex please, we're British" and all that.

So have the Americans, any time an American teen movie or sit-com mentions Europe it's always in relation to how sexually liberated they are and how repressed the USA is.

I've heard English friends of mine describe the Irish as "completely sex mad". My former German girlfriend said something along the same lines, that back in Germany everyone was so uptight about sex but the Irish and English are so layed back about it and such sexual people.

I'm sure other countries do it to, I think it's just a "the grass is always greener" thing by people lamenting the fact that everywhere in the world, apart from exactly where they are, is just one big long hardcore orgy.

A generation or two ago it would have been the case that Irish people had a somewhat repressed attitude to sex, in part due to the influence of the Catholic Church probably, no legal contraception until 1979 for one thing, that's obviously going to throw a big bucket of cold water over things.

But I don't believe that it's the case that people under the age of 40 or so in Ireland are any more or less sexually repressed than most other nations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

My sex ed was alright, no complaints. Here's the kicker - my parents did most of the teaching. How many of you are going to properly educate yourselves and your kids? In Ireland it's much easier to 'let the schools take care of that sort of thing' and then complain when the schools fall short. If you were unhappy (as a lot of posters seems to have been) with sex ed in school how many bothered to approach someone else (parent/older sibling/etc) or educate themselves?
    As it happens, the majority in Ireland being Catholic were born from the belief in sexual behaviour as a means for pro-creation exclusively. The backwards religion would still have us believe in this.

Not quite but don't let that stop the usual rant.
    Latchy wrote: »
    No but excluding the ones with the catholic guilt trips abouts sex habits ( peodopile priests excluded ) the Danes , Swedish ,Dutch ,Germans etc never had the same hangups about sex or were as sexually repressed ,or so were led to believe

Important part in italic. Hang-ups about can mean a lot of things. If you mean more erotic-type programming available late night on some TV stations yes. If you mean more nudity in advertising for example yes. On the other hand from my experience of Germans young germans early to mid twenties would be much, much less likely to wear the overtly sexual clothing going to a pub or club that their Irish counterparts would and would also be much less likely to engage in a one night stand.

As has been pointed out on the thread there is a serious misapprehension about sexuality IMO in this country, with the opposite of sexual 'repression' seen in some sort of hormone-feulled schoolboy fantasy light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭CdeC

To be honest I think Ireland is sexually repressed in many ways, mostly in the way that people cannot approach eachother without being drunk.

With Brazilians yes they are very forward sexually but I went on a date with a Brazilian guy and for me it was far too much too soon. Not always a good thing to just jump into the sack straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Flippin Brazilians.

Only after one thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

IMO there will never be proper sex education until religion is out of our schools and the country as a whole will be sexually repressed until religion is out of our government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

OisinT wrote: »
    ... and the country as a whole will be sexually repressed until religion is out of our government.

There's no one in government I am particularly interested in having sex with, so they can keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

I just got back from Brazil, a country dripping with sex - casual sex is considered healthy. As soon as you arrive here, you can literally feel the "fridgidness" among society. I feel this problem can be rectified with two issues; a comprehensive sex education in school and legislation legalising the adult industry, namely, sex work.

This dripping you are feeling with sex is called Gonorrhea, I'll PM you a number for STI Clinic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭RockinRolla

This dripping you are feeling with sex is called Gonorrhea, I'll PM you a number for STI Clinic.

Why? Have you been?

*waits for the 'ma joke*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Hurricane-Dean

Sisko wrote: »
    Awww man.

Sorry Dean, not to be a cunt but its a pretty bad fail when you can see you had googled "How to make a did you mean" in that screen shot, as well as trying to add your computers path to the image file instead of the URL :pac:

I know :( I wanted it to be good but I was just so tired and hoped nobody would notice :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

So the OP got his hole from some prostitutes in Brazil and now figures he is some expert on the sex culture. :D (What is the sex culture?)

Far as I remember, Ireland topped the birth rate charts in the EU last couple of years, definitely 2009, so for such a frigid society, we sure know how to make babies.

As for education, yeah, got sex education in school along with taking biology as did majority of people. Would we be dripping of sex if schools brought in whores for sex education so you can feel more Brazilian? Maybe some child prostitutes too, which are also quite popular in Brazil?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

At one stage we had a Canadian Evangelical team come in and they gave us a "retreat." Where we were told of the benefits of chastity and then told to sit in a circle and pray, while they went around praying for us individually. They made people cry and everything, it was pretty disgusting. Especially when I said I didn't want anyone to pray for me and the bítch still did, with her hand on my shoulder looking down at me pitifully. Because there was obviously something wrong with me. :rolleyes:

Also, in fifth year we had to define "sexuality." We were split into groups and each group was given a page to write their definition on. Every group equated sexuality to sexual orientation (including my group, as my protests fell on deaf ears) and that was accepted by the teacher and we moved straight on.

Yeah, my experience of sex ed was pretty shít in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

Starbelgrade, your assumptions know no bounds.
    I'm getting married soon and I'm happy with my sex life.
    famous last words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

So the OP got his hole from some prostitutes in Brazil and now figures he is some expert on the sex culture. :D (What is the sex culture?)

lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

At one stage we had a Canadian Evangelical team come in and they gave us a "retreat." Where we were told of the benefits of chastity and then told to sit in a circle and pray, while they went around praying for us individually. They made people cry and everything, it was pretty disgusting. Especially when I said I didn't want anyone to pray for me and the bítch still did, with her hand on my shoulder looking down at me pitifully. Because there was obviously something wrong with me. :rolleyes:

Also, in fifth year we had to define "sexuality." We were split into groups and each group was given a page to write their definition on. Every group equated sexuality to sexual orientation (including my group, as my protests fell on deaf ears) and that was accepted by the teacher and we moved straight on.

Yeah, my experience of sex ed was pretty shít in fairness.

We also had a chastity group come in and talk to us and that was it as regards sex ed, except for if you took Biology for your leaving cert. We girls also had someone talk to us about periods and gave us free tampons. It's not even that long ago - we are so backward :mad:

Advertisement