Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Embarrassing football related confession....

• 05-01-2011 9:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,469 ✭✭✭✭

I don't know what a slide rule pass is...

Anyone tell me?

I used to think it was simply a ball played along the ground parallel to the goal line (if you get me) so that a player isn't given offside (ball not going forward) but I have heard it used refering to a simple forward pass.

Is it just a pass along the ground?
    :o:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I think it's a pass or through ball for a player who is running to meet it. Not directly to a players feet but a pass to where they will be.
    But not 100% either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Slide Rule - As in it was measured to perfection, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Frisbee wrote: »

Eggzacery

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

This would be my interpretation of it too. A slide rule pass - perfect pass into someones stride etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I've never heard that phrase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

Never ever heard that phrase . .ever. . Are you sure your not getting mixed up with Slide tackle, offside rule and through pass. .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Kells...

"slide-rule pass" is a colloquially expression used by sportswriters, commentators and fans to describe a pass in the game of soccer. British sportswriter Simon Barnes explains that the term is a cliché that "combines the idea of immense precision with the actual action of a person using a slide rule."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,469 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Never ever heard that phrase . .ever. . Are you sure your not getting mixed up with Slide tackle, offside rule and through pass. .

positive. heard it a lot.

See mention of it in the BBC Live PL updates for tonights games
    2044: Disallowed goal at Goodison Park as Peter Crouch slots in Gareth Bale's slide-rule pass only to be given offside. It was the right call.

explanation given by posters above makes sense....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

In 20 odd years of playing, talking and watching football Ive never heard it once. Odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

How have you never heard it? It is used an awful lot by commentators, journos etc
    But Zidane still left us something worth remembering: a slide-rule pass. The cliché is long out of fashion, but I have always liked the way it combines the idea of immense precision with the actual action of a person using a slide rule. And the slide-rule pass was always Zidane’s greatest contribution to the movement of a football match.....

You can’t win the World Cup without a proper striker, they said. You can if you’ve got Zidane in your team, with his conductor’s baton and his slide rule and his falconine profile and his Gitanes ablaze. And just to prove that it was no fluke, he led the France team to victory in the European Championship two years later.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/columnists/simon_barnes/article685407.ece

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Tusky wrote: »
    In 20 odd years of playing, talking and watching football Ive never heard it once. Odd.

Do you watch it on tv with the sound on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Is it a through ball?

I've never heard of that phrase before.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Trhiggy83

You lost me as well - playin the game 20 years and i never heard of that phrase in my life.

mars bar wrote: »
    Is it a through ball?

I've never heard of that phrase before.

As is said above by others (and in my link) it is a pass so accurate that it "it combines the idea of immense precision with the actual action of a person using a slide rule".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

As is said above by others (and in my link) it is a pass so accurate that it "it combines the idea of immense precision with the actual action of a person using a slide rule".

But what's the slide rule?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

This made me laugh out loud!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Always thought it was a perfectly angled pass. As in measured with a slide rule. Could be mistaken.

Did have to ask once what a daisy cutter was though. :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I don't know what a slide rule pass is...

Anyone tell me?

I used to think it was simply a ball played along the ground parallel to the goal line (if you get me) so that a player isn't given offside (ball not going forward) but I have heard it used refering to a simple forward pass.

Is it just a pass along the ground?
    :o:confused:

My understanding was it was a through ball but the player is moving across the pitch and slides it forward to towards the goal.

The player would be moving right to left (or vice versa) and plays the ball forward into the box/goal area, quite a clever measured pass.

This is a slide rule http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slide_rule

This is another reference to it:
    A simple device with one sliding part that could do complex mathematical calculations in moments. Multiplication, division, roots, logarithms, and even trigonometry could be performed with ease. But as technology marched forward with sophisticated computers and graphing pocket calculators the lowly slide rule was forgotten... left unused in attic boxes and yard sales, its contribution to aviation, space exploration, and architecture just a memory

Saying slide rule indicates the accuracy of the pass. It was used to make accurate calculations, much like how a footballer can make an accurate pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

It's just a retarded commentators term for a really good through ball along the ground

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Do you watch it on tv with the sound on?

Maybe he doesn't watch football on TV. Now there's a crazy idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Never heard of a slide rule pass, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

robbed from elsewhere. Just google slide rule pass.
    A "slide-rule pass" is a colloquially expression used by sportswriters, commentators and fans to describe a pass in the game of soccer. British sportswriter Simon Barnes explains that the term is a cliché that "combines the idea of immense precision with the actual action of a person using a slide rule."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I have heard of it a fair few times.its a through ball .a slide rule is like a ruler witha sliding middle section for doing calculations.so I suppose a precision pass.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT5WTZLruehvLp4SlFbAaY_6dW6AvlCq1WdzxREHUBpXB5tDb0-KQ

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

It's a through ball, but it has to be all along the ground. A forward pass from Xavi basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

a 'measured' pass would be the closest alternative phrasing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Can't believe the amount of users who have never heard it,

It's a pass played to perfection usually through a couple of defenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

It is just a through ball, ball played through into the path of another players run, same thing. I've heard slide-rule pass used a lot but i never actually understood how they gave it that name. They call it a through ball in all the Fifa games so i'll stick with calling it that.

Advertisement