Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get your ass to Mars

Options
  • 05-01-2011 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭

Some Background
    Started running in June last year, after a lost weekend of about 10 years since any decent level of fitness. Ran a 5k race in September in 30:06

Goal: Finish Half Marathon - May
    Longest run to date is just over 7k, mainly due to time constraints but have been doing around 6-10mile per week since September.

I think this is a good goal to focus on with 17 weeks to race day. I'll loosely be following Jeff Galloways 1/2 plan (2 x Training Runs, 1 x LSR per week)

Next Up
    I'd like to throw in some races in between now and May, and have entered the Raheny 5 for end of January.

I'm also on the look out for something in March, and maybe the Great Ireland Run 10k in April.

I've a feeling it's going to be a interesting ride :)

total-recall_pic.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Just out today for second short run of the week, a little over 3mile in 35:50. Not focusing too much on the pace as I'm trying to build up running time in preparation for LSR this weekend.

Felt OK for mile 1, pulled back in mile 2, but pushed on a little bit for the last one, didn't feel overly strained and it was enjoyable.

I've had trouble with my neck/shoulder recently as well as a long running ankle problem (damaged ligaments a year ago) - both felt OK and the recent exercises have definitely helped there.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/62195643

Strapped on the HRM and you can see it's pretty much min 180 the whole way so I'm hoping that the road to the half will see that reduce greatly. Although during the cool down it came down to 130 within a two minutes. Dropping a (good) few KG will help here as well.

So today was penciled in as my first LSR (ever)

The whole concept of LSR makes sense to me, but I never have had the time, need or goal to do them. Previously I've been trying to squeeze whatever I can into 30-40min runs.

Anyways, According to Galloway I should be aiming for around 14.45/Mile pace. Thats based on something he calls Magic Miles (your fast steady mile ) then multiply by 1.2 + 3mins (I'm sure there's some logic in this ;))

Today I was aiming for 6mile, had the route all planned - slight problem when I went out, the route was going to be too slippy. So I grabbed the Columbia's and went searching for a field!

I started out trying to keep the pace to something close to 14.45, but that proved a bit tricky, then I tried keeping my HR under 170 as this definitely felt more comfortable and it seemed to work better at controlling the pace.

Split Time Distance Pace
    1 00:13:23 1.00 13:23
    2 00:14:48 1.00 14:48
    3 00:14:35 1.00 14:36
    4 00:14:27 1.00 14:27
    5 00:14:34 1.00 14:34
    6 00:14:28 1.00 14:28
    7 00:13:33 1.00 13:33
    Sum 01:39:50 7.00 14:16
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/62498920

So that's the furthest I've ever run by 2.5m and the most time spend consistently running by over 50mins.

Very happy with that, feeling it a little in the legs but not in the chest and minimal pain in neck and ankle :)

cold.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Best of luck with your log and goals. This time last year my new years resolution was to run a half marathon at the end of June but I ended up almost 2 months ahead of schedule after a good 3 months training. My longest run had been a tough 10k in December and my LSR's started at 6 miles. Don't worry about the pace, just get the miles in. Keep it up and you won't know yourself in a couple of months! Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭pokermonkey

Looks like you're going well Zabbo! Good work.
    I see you use Garmin Connect as well. How do you find it? I like it, but I'd like to be able to overlap runs (well the graphs) to compare the HR & speed etc. Which watch are you using?
    I might be asking you about Galloway once I'm finished the C25K. :D

claralara wrote: »
    Best of luck with your log and goals. This time last year my new years resolution was to run a half marathon at the end of June but I ended up almost 2 months ahead of schedule after a good 3 months training. My longest run had been a tough 10k in December and my LSR's started at 6 miles. Don't worry about the pace, just get the miles in. Keep it up and you won't know yourself in a couple of months! Good luck :)
    Thanks, had a good read of your last log - was well worth the 1hr read :)
    Looks like you're going well Zabbo! Good work.
    I see you use Garmin Connect as well. How do you find it? I like it, but I'd like to be able to overlap runs (well the graphs) to compare the HR & speed etc. Which watch are you using?
    I might be asking you about Galloway once I'm finished the C25K. :D
    I like Garmin Connect, they've recently updated with new features so you can now compare runs. I'm using the FR 110 and find it really useful, I'm a bit of a stat addict so it definitely helps me work out where I'm at. There's a lot of good advice in the Galloway Book (as well as product placement and guff) - I'll see how I get on with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭pokermonkey

Me too! (being a stat addict) I like the way that even if 2/3/4 consecutive runs don't feel much different, you can look at the stats the FR pumps out and you can see things like your Avg HR reducing by a bpm per run, or you avg pace improves. I don't think I'd be as motivated without it!

So this is how week 1 shaped up, 16 weeks left.

Day|Distance|Time|Pace
    Tue|2.5M|?|?
    Thur|3.16M|35:50|11.19
    Sun|7M|1:39:50|14:16

Tuesday was indoor on treadmill and was hopeless, horribly warm inside gym and was my first time running like that for months.

Legs are a little tender today after yesterdays LSR, with a definite soreness on my right front thigh (quadricep?). Next outing is Tuesday and distance/pace will depend on legs. Galloway recommends 30mins at around 11.45 pace.

Tuesday 11th Jan
    Miles - 3.16
    Time - 32:46
    Avg Pace - 10:23

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/62987316

The plan was to run a MM (Magic Mile) in mile 2. Galloway advises using these MM testers throughout the plan to adjust your training pace as well as guide you on finish time as a bit of a reality check.

Now there's a caveat to this training run, I'm on study/exam week and have enough caffeine in me to stun a horse so I knew HR was going to be a few BPM's above normal.

I got about 1min into the run and was hitting 190 on the HR so any chance of going all out for a MM wasn't going to work out too well, so I decided to push all three miles a little over my comfort zone coming in at 10.23 average.

Definitely felt testing by the end. Some good news is that I'm down 2.6KG since last week so have pulled back a little into the Xmas indulgence - but I know this is mainly a reaction to switching back to a more balanced diet (probably mainly water anyway)

So there are a few things that I'm not exactly following correctly.

1. Walking
    Galloway advises the Run-Walk-Run method to build things up, but I don't know if it's stupidity or stubbornness that has me not doing this. Time will tell. From his plan I'd be running 30sec every 2.30mins :/

2. Pacing
    This is a little trickier, I've not done a proper MM, but am working off 9:45 where realistically this could be a bit lower. I missed the bit where he says the mid week runs can be at whatever pace (I'm aiming sub 11) and at least 30mins but could be longer (not too specific on that)

Anyway, today was 45mins on an exercise bike with a XC course. Was really feeling it, and this was supposed to be a bit of light exercise.

Day|Distance|Time|Pace
    Tue|3.16M|32:46|10:23
    Thur|3.16M|35:21|11:13
    Sun|8M|1:55:22|14:25

Another week over and things are going quite well so far, LSR today was definitely tough, but learning from last week helped, that and stretching means things aren't as sore now as they were last week.

Galloways plan is to increase 1mile every 2nd week to the LSR, I'll need to re-read what happens in between those weeks but I think it's half distance but quicker.

Roll on next week!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

Hey you are doing really well! Did you do 8 miles on LSR? Well done if you did (and best of luck if this is week plan...Im a bit tired this evening so cant seem to figure that out!!:o)
    Which Galloway plan are you following? Just finished another of his books, this one on marathon running. Great for motivation! Am hoping to do half in April so am reading you log with interest. Best of luck!

maria74 wrote: »
    Which Galloway plan are you following?

It's "To Finish" 16 week plan from the Half-Marathon book.

I've made some small changes to the plan, but it's basically this. I'll need to switch in some of the races I'm planning and make room for the LSR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

[HTML][/HTML]
    zAbbo wrote: »
    It's "To Finish" 16 week plan from the Half-Marathon book.

I've made some small changes to the plan, but it's basically this. I'll need to switch in some of the races I'm planning and make room for the LSR.

Looks good plan, is the Great Ireland Run you are aiming towards? You will be well able for it with that. I have decided to decrease my miles and follow HH Novice Half plan, mainly due to sore knee after LSR also. (Was up to 8 miles). Not sure if it is the best move, bit nervous about going 10-13 miles on day. Great to see your miles are clocking up! Took me ages to get to that 8! Maybe Ill consider a similar plan for next half.....:p

Target is a half marathon in May.

No running today, knee's are just a little too sore. Plan is to go Wed/Fri/Sun from now on.

Wednesday 19th
    Start of 2nd week officially following Galloways plan. I was due to run this yesterday but needed the extra day for knee's to recover from Sundays LSR.

Distance 3.17M
    Time 00:43:31
    Pace 13:44

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/64158634

Slower than normal but I was joined by herself who is just started and pulled out a great beginner run :)

Day|Distance|Time|Pace
    Wed|3.17M|43:31|13:44
    Fri|1.57M|16:50|10:41
    Sun|3.15M|34:13|10:52

A poor week, just couldn't get the miles in at all and really found it tough for some reason. Hard to explain but everything was telling me to cut back and that's reflected in the times.

So this week is the lead in to the Raheny 5M. After last weeks disaster I knew I needed to get the miles in this week as Galloway's plan has me in for a 9Mile LSR which I'm going to try next week instead (in Rome, somehow!)

Anyway, Tuesday run took a slight change as it was pouring down so went interval training on the treadmill instead. This was tougher than I remember with the higher incline intervals going at a higher pace. No idea how that was set but it was 9.5KPH versus 8.3KPH which had me gasping.

Today I wanted to gauge my pace for Raheny, so aimed for 10min/miles and was pretty happy to come in just under that. Probably the fastest I've run(ever), not sure if I could keep that for another 2 miles - but race day would maybe make that happen.

Distance: 3.21M
    Time: 31.48
    Pace: 9:55
    Avg HR: 192 :)

Don't worry, I've not disappeared.

So quick update.

I entered the Raheny 5 and finished in 49:07 which was slightly faster than I thought and had a little bit left in the tank.

The plan after the race was to keep the 3 milers going and the longer weekend run, slight problem as I was going to Rome for a bit and had the good intentions of sticking to it. Didn't happen but got plenty of walking in :)

Finally got around to going out again today with a slow 3 mile (41min) and will see where I'll go from here.

I havent thrown the original plan out the window yet, but I'm trying to give enough time to weight training...

Another quick update.

Last two weeks have been great, I took part in the OT 5k and was back out the next day for another 5k job.

Last week
    • Monday 3 Miles
    • Wednesday 5 Miles
    • Saturday 9 Miles

Very sore after Saturday, have been kind of avoiding the long runs recently but made it in around 2.08 in what was closer to 9.5miles. I also tested some of the Maximuscle Viper gels that I got free from Raheny 5 and it helped a little.

Anyway, out again today.

Monday 3 Miles

Advertisement