Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dumb-down the offside rule for me please?

• 05-01-2011 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭

Mam here, with an 8yr old boy...
    I've googled the offside rule and actually know it myself, but finding it hard to explain it to him, in 'lay mans' terms...

Could someone give me a one-liner for him? Or just a line (or paragraph, whatever it takes!) that would explain it to an 8yr old???
    Very much appreciated, thanks:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

When a player is playing the ball forward, none of his teammates can be beyond the last defender

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Use objects to explain it to him. I'd imagine it's the easiest way to explain to him.

Like, put four 50c coins in a line as the defenders and €2 coins as the attacker. Explain one €2 has the ball and place the other in an offside position and then an onside position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

mars bar wrote: »
    Use objects to explain it to him. I'd imagine it's the easiest way to explain to him.

Like, put four 50c coins in a line as the defenders and €2 coins as the attacker. Explain one €2 has the ball and place the other in an offside position and then an onside position.

Thats probably how they explain it to the refs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

You're in a shoe shop, second in the queue for the till. Behind the shop assistant on the till is a pair of shoes which you have seen and which you must have.

The female shopper in front of you has seen them also and is eyeing them with desire. Both of you have forgotten your purses.

It would be rude to push in front of the first woman if you had no money to pay for the shoes.

The shop assistant remains at the till waiting.

Your friend is trying on another pair of shoes at the back of the shop and sees your dilemma.

She prepares to throw her purse to you.

If she does so, you can catch the purse, then walk round the other shopper and buy the shoes!

At a pinch she could throw the purse ahead of the other shopper and "whilst it is in flight" you could nip around the other shopper, catch the purse and buy the shoes!

BUT, you must always remember that until the purse has "actually been thrown", it would be plain wrong for you to be in front of the other shopper and you would be OFFSIDE!

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

If he's playing football and somebody shouts hatching bastard or goal hanger at him, he has to jog towards the centre-circle for about 5 seconds and turn around again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Money bags Mars Bar!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Watch Inzaghi for ten minutes and you will see at least five offsides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Dempsey wrote: »
    When a player is playing the ball forward, none of his teammates can be beyond the last defender

Thats not strictly true. if a teammate is next to touch the ball he can not have been beyond the last defender when the ball was played. Other teammates could be beyond the defenders once they are not interfering with play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

€2 and 50c coins, no recession in your house :eek:

Gillington wrote: »
    Money bags Mars Bar!

I'll have to pull the couch apart to find four 50c coins!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I used this website once to explain the offside rule to a very confused girl watching the World Cup!

http://forgirlswhocantdofootball.blogspot.com/2007/03/offside-rule.html
    The Offside Rule

Now listen carefully. This is really important. If you don't get this you might as well give up now. It not that hard but people get worried about it. Its the offside rule.

You will probably find this easiest if you are sitting at a table. You will need some props. A sugar bowl (empty), vinegar bottle, salt and pepper pots, a bottle of ketchup and a bottle of brown sauce (glass or plastic). Oh and a malteser.

Now put the sugar bowl at the far end of the table with the bowl bit facing towards you. Put the vinegar bottle directly in front of it. Now put the salt and pepper pots in front of these two, say one on the left and one on the right. Put the ketchup in front of them and the brown sauce just in front of you.

Now Ketchup and Brown Sauce are attacking. Salt and Pepper are defending. Vinegar is the goalie. Brown Sauce kicks The Malteser forwards and Ketchup runs forward, past Salt and/or Pepper and gets The Malteser. Shoots. GOAL!

Same scenario except this time, Ketchup starts running before Brown Sauce kicks The Malteser. He runs past Salt/and or Pepper just before Brown Sauce kicks The Malteser. He gets The Malteser. Shoots. NO GOAL! Reason? The offside rule.

The offside rule says there must be two of the defending team between the opposition and the goal before the ball is kicked. Once it is kicked it is fine to run forwards. It is to stop goal hanging.

So - no Salt AND Pepper, no goal!

See its easy!

That's the offside rule.

And this rule, the offside rule, leads to the offside trap. Its a trick Salt and Pepper play on Ketchup and Brown Sauce. One or both of them run forwards just beforeThe Malteser is kicked by Brown Sauce, past Ketchup, thus putting Ketchup offside.

And that's the offside trap.

Don't forget to be ahead of most guys and remember that there must be TWO of the defending team in front of the attacker. Most people think it is one, forgetting that the goalkeeper is nearly always one of the two players from the defending team.

Edit: There are complications with whether players are interfering with play etc or when two players have broken through on goal and one runs ahead of the ball.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Or behind the line of the ball (2 vs 1)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Fittle wrote: »
    I've googled the offside rule and actually know it myself, but finding it hard to explain it to him, in 'lay mans' terms...

Could someone give me a one-liner for him? Or just a line (or paragraph, whatever it takes!) that would explain it to an 8yr old???

There is actually a very good video on the FIFA website in the laws of the game but that is interactive. I have used ti when coaching some of the underage lads.

http://www.fifa.com/lotg/football/en/flash/start.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I feel like we are playing a major in rearing this young fella with you. He should become the forum mascot. You'll have to have us all over for the Communion.:pac:

flahavaj wrote: »
    I feel like we are playing a major in rearing this young fella with you. He should become the forum mascot. You'll have to have us all over for the Communion.:pac:

Wow think of the Communion money that little lad would get then :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Wow think of the Communion money that little lad would get then :D

Yeah four 50c coins and two €2 coins from Mars Bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

yabadabado wrote: »

:D

:pac:

More than the tooth fairy will bring so I shouldn't look too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

I swear to God, when he signs for his first premiership team, I'll give full credit to the boards soccer forum:D:D

Really though lads, you've no idea how much you're helping him/me here. Day in, day out, all he does is question me about tactics/skills/players - I google as much as I can, but ye lads are the best at just explaining things in simple terms!

Having said all of that, I'd like to clarify that although I said I understand the offside rule myself, I haven't a fecking CLUE what a fewof those posts meant:(:(....and while I'd have to get a credit union loan for the 2euro and 50cent explanation, the vinegar and malteser explanation, I can just about manage!!

More than I got :( Back in my day I tell ya....

I'm 25

• Advertisement

dfx- wrote: »
    Or behind the line of the ball (2 vs 1)

Would you be playing the ball forward then?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

Have you ever heard of Wikipedia? Would you believe that this website documents the Barcelona/Real Madrid rivalry and indeed the technical aspects of the offside rule among other interesting football and non football trivia. Give it a look sometime you might educate yourself awful easily.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offside_(association_football)

Have you ever heard of Wikipedia? Would you believe that this website documents the Barcelona/Real Madrid rivalry and indeed the technical aspects of the offside rule among other interesting football and non football trivia. Give it a look sometime you might educate yourself awful easily.

No need to be so narky.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Would you be playing the ball forward then?

You could

But wikepedia does it in 'wikpedia-speak'.

Boardsies do it like they're speaking to a mammy who hasn't a clue about football...which suits me much better, but thanks;)

No need to be so narky.

In fairness this is the 5th such thread she has started in just over a month pertaining to silly questions about, 'What number is C. Ronaldo' and 'Dumb down the offside rule.'

I mean its hardly rocket science to go to Wikipedia type in Cristiano Ronaldo and whaddya know him and his number come up immediatly on the right hand side of the page.

Same with the offside rule. 2 defenders between the attacking player and the goal when a forward pass is made. It couldn't be more simple.

In fairness this is the 5th such thread she has started in just over a month pertaining to silly questions about, 'What number is C. Ronaldo' and 'Dumb down the offside rule.'

I mean its hardly rocket science to go to Wikipedia type in Cristiano Ronaldo and whaddya know him and his number come up immediatly on the right hand side of the page.

Same with the offside rule. 2 defenders between the attacking player and the goal when a forward pass is made. It couldn't be more simple.
    In a thread full of people being sound and giving someone a bit of help, theres always one little maneen that has to act the ballbag. Congratulations sir, this evening that little maneen is you.

With respect 'SHE' sent a pm to a soccer forum mod before 'SHE' posted her first question, and was told to go ahead, ask the 'soccer for dummies' questions and see what the response was.

So far, it's been positive and I am seriously appreciating the advice for my son, who doesn't have a male adult in his life to give him the advice.

And wikpedia doesn't engage you in conversation, nor does it help you out when you are stuck on some weird football question.

But apologies if I'm annoying you, that wasn't my intention.

dfx- wrote: »
    You could

Twigged what you meant

Think my explanation would do for an 8 year old though! :pac:

Exceptions would easy to explain afterwards

• Advertisement

In fairness to Fittle, she is asking for a simplified way of explaining the rule, not looking for the actual rule itself.

She had been given different answers by loads of people and Wikipedia is not the most reliable source in the world you know? I wouldn't blame her for coming in here and asking.

Quite frankly, her threads are nicer to read than some of the tripe that does be set up like those "? v ?" threads that were set up a while back.

Keep posting any questions you have Fittle!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Not true, there has to be at LEAST two players in between him and the goal line for him to be onside. It's just in most cases the goal keeper is behind play, so he acts as that second person.

eZe^ wrote: »
    Not true, there has to be at LEAST two players in between him and the goal line for him to be onside. It's just in most cases the goal keeper is behind play, so he acts as that second person.

I thought we were dumbing the rule down for an 8 year old not looking to reword the referee rulebook! :pac:

eZe^ wrote: »

Liam Brady once loudly corrected George Hamilton about that part of the rule whilst watching a replay of a disputed goal. So it is a pretty common error to make! I did try and add that at the end of my Red and Brown Sauce explanation I found :pac:

In a thread full of people being sound and giving someone a bit of help, theres always one little maneen that has to act the ballbag. Congratulations sir, this evening that little maneen is you.

Oh so its great craic when Dreamers75 posts a comment that likens the offside to women buying shoes, which frankly is a little bit disrespectful towards women as it implies that women would only understand the offside rule in this context, yet when I tell the OP to go use Wikipedia I'm acting the ballbag. Cool story bro..

• Advertisement

Oh so its great craic when Dreamers75 posts a comment that likens the offside to women buying shoes, which frankly is a little bit disrespectful towards women as it implies that women would only understand the offside rule in this context, yet when I tell the OP to go use Wikipedia I'm acting the ballbag. Cool story bro..

Thats not all you said though is it? The shoes thing was humourous and quite clever. Yours was just rude and stank of ballbaggery. Big difference.

You're way offside here mate.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Dreamer75's post was a joke, you're just being a not very nice person.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭coolhandspan

So what we are saying is,?????????? its really more of a theory, not a rule, something to beat the wigans and newcastles of this world when they play the big four. i think that settles that,

now for in direct free kicks

So what we are saying is,?????????? its really more of a theory, not a rule, something to beat the wigans and newcastles of this world when they play the big four. i think that settles that,

Eh, what?

Uhhh, do you see me getting worked up about Dreamers75 explanation?

• Advertisement

Thats not all you said though is it? The shoes thing was humourous and quite clever. Yours was just rude and stank of ballbaggery. Big difference.

You're way offside here mate.:pac:

Haha, pun intended, wow that should get oh I'd say at least 5 thanks I would think. I never realised it was so unacceptable to post something that was au contraire of the general feeling in the thread.

Haha, pun intended, wow that should get oh I'd say at least 5 thanks I would think. I never realised it was so unacceptable to post something that was au contraire of the general feeling in the thread.

Ahhh I get it, you're a Liverpool fan.

:D:D

Uhhh, do you see me getting worked up about Dreamers75 explanation?

Well whether you get worked up or not is your own prerogative but I feel that dreamers75 post was in poor taste and it supposes that women would be ignorant of the offside rule were it not in the context of shopping which stereotypes women in a manner which is neither fair nor proper.

Look, I asked if someone could give a one-liner to explain the offside rule for my 8yr old, why is that annoying you so much? Were you ever 8 and had a mum who hadn't a clue about football and wanted to learn? I don't know why you have a problem with my 5 posts in less than a month, and wasn't aware that anyone was counting them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭smodgley

do indirect free kicks still exist?

i think your offside bamboozey

smodgley wrote: »
    do indirect free kicks still exist?

I saw somebody score a goal from one this season, can't remember who it was!
    Well whether you get worked up or not is your own prerogative but I feel that dreamers75 post was in poor taste and it supposes that women would be ignorant of the offside rule were it not in the context of shopping which stereotypes women in a manner which is neither fair nor proper.

It was a funny example, that is all it was. It uses a ridiculous scenario that is then easy to remember because of the examples used. It is no different to teachers using similar example to teach young kids in school. Or mine with the malteeser and sauce. Was that insulting too because it was a hidden "patriarchal reference to womens position as home maker". No it was just a silly, simple example to help somebody explain something to a young boy.

ah yes and on to indirect free kicks, yes they do exist my friend.

Look, I asked if someone could give a one-liner to explain the offside rule for my 8yr old, why is that annoying you so much? Were you ever 8 and had a mum who hadn't a clue about football and wanted to learn? I don't know why you have a problem with my 5 posts in less than a month, and wasn't aware that anyone was counting them.

You'll find that I helped you in fact, I posted a one liner explaining the offside rule;

Also you're confusing posts with threads. Threads are what you start the topic on. Posts are what follows in the threads.

Yes I was an eight year old who did have a mum who didn't have a clue and a father who didn't care much for the game. So what I did is watched all the football I could, read the Examiner sports section every day and generally immersed myself in the game. Your boy should have no problem doing this especially with the internet which I didn't have when I was an eight year old.

i think your offside bamboozey

Same pun already used, your not funny and try and take the time to spell my name properly it really ain't that hard.

• Advertisement
Advertisement