Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dumb-down the offside rule for me please?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

You'll find that I helped you in fact, I posted a one liner explaining the offside rule;

Also you're confusing posts with threads. Threads are what you start the topic on. Posts are what follows in the threads.

Yes I was an eight year old who did have a mum who didn't have a clue and a father who didn't care much for the game. So what I did is watched all the football I could, read the Examiner sports section every day and generally immersed myself in the game. Your boy should have no problem doing this especially with the internet which I didn't have when I was an eight year old.

My boy doesn't use the internet just yet, but I do, which is why I'm posting on his behalf...and he's 8 and hasn't quite gotten into the Examiner sports section just yet...but perhaps he might when he's 8 and a half:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Fittle wrote: »
    My boy doesn't use the internet just yet, but I do, which is why I'm posting on his behalf...and he's 8 and hasn't quite gotten into the Examiner sports section just yet...but perhaps he might when he's 8 and a half:rolleyes:

Don't mind him, you are just being a great Irish Mammy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Red are the attacking team. Blue are defending.

offside.gif

Red 11 has the ball. If red 10 is behind the last defender (like in the picture) when the ball is kicked, he is offside.

Thats why when you are watching a game you will see players try to stay in line with the defenders, until the ball is kicked.

Tusky wrote: »
    Red are the attacking team. Blue are defending.

offside.gif

Red 11 has the ball. If red 10 is behind the last defender (like in the picture) when the ball is kicked, he is offside.

Thats why when you are watching a game you will see players try to stay in line with the defenders, until the ball is kicked.

Just showed him that and NOW he gets it!!!! Result!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

A picture speaks a thousand words :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

flahavaj wrote: »
    In a thread full of people being sound and giving someone a bit of help, theres always one little maneen that has to act the ballbag. Congratulations sir, this evening that little maneen is you.

I'm guessing 'maneen' is some form of culchie speak? :confused: :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Just showed him that and NOW he gets it!!!! Result!!

Glad to help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I'm guessing 'maneen' is some form of culchie speak? :confused: :pac:

Means young man acting older than his real age, it is taken from Irish where adding -ín at the of the word is common for younger people. In a family where the father and son are both called Seán, the younger would be Seánín. Basically the Irish version of Ronaldo and Ronaldinho.

Pfft Dubs and their West Brit ways :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

the amount of people who are not aware that there must be 2 defending players playing an attacking player on, is unreal.

it happened in the world cup i think, where a man was staning on the post with the keeper off his line and the goal was, correctly disallowed. i remember reading a match tracker saying the goal was wrongly disallowed (and a few posts on here) then seeing the goal and thinking correct decision, which it 100% was. england "scored" a similar goal against croatia a few years back, and their was uproar about that also in certain sections. rarely happens, as the keeper is pretty much always the last man, but it can happen now and then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Means young man acting older than his real age, it is taken from Irish where adding -ín at the of the word is common for younger people. In a family where the father and son are both called Seán, the younger would be Seánín. Basically the Irish version of Ronaldo and Ronaldinho.

Pfft Dubs and their West Brit ways :pac:

The fact that this has to be explained saddens me. No wonder the country is ruined.:pac:

the amount of people who are not aware that there must be 2 defending players playing an attacking player on, is unreal.

it happened in the world cup i think, where a man was staning on the post with the keeper off his line and the goal was, correctly disallowed. i remember reading a match tracker saying the goal was wrongly disallowed (and a few posts on here) then seeing the goal and thinking correct decision, which it 100% was. england "scored" a similar goal against croatia a few years back, and their was uproar about that also in certain sections. rarely happens, as the keeper is pretty much always the last man, but it can happen now and then.

Completely lost me at 'staning on the post...' Sorry:(

Had to report back lads. Him and his 3 mates had a look at the red circle/blue circle picture from Tusky (two eight year olds, a 7yr old and a 6 yr old)....and they practised it out the back a few times today. I have to say, it was the best craic I've had in years...'No, not offside JAYSUS.....yes, that's offside, well done!!' I roared!!!!!!! No one told me about this in the rotunda;)

Nice one lads...I might be back for more advice...but after yer mans complaining about me, I might just resort to wikpedia in future:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Had to report back lads. Him and his 3 mates had a look at the red circle/blue circle picture from Tusky (two eight year olds, a 7yr old and a 6 yr old)....and they practised it out the back a few times today. I have to say, it was the best craic I've had in years...'No, not offside JAYSUS.....yes, that's offside, well done!!' I roared!!!!!!! No one told me about this in the rotunda;)

Nice one lads...I might be back for more advice...but after yer mans complaining about me, I might just resort to wikpedia in future:D

Hiya Fittle,
    feel free to ask for any advice in here and don't worry bout some of the regulars.........their bark is worse than their bite;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'd say just bump an old post Fittle rather than starting a new thread every time you have a question. If we didn't know ya before this thread, we certainly do now! :D

mars bar wrote: »
    I'd say just bump an old post Fittle rather than starting a new thread every time you have a question. If we didn't know ya before this thread, we certainly do now! :D

But what if his next question is about an indirect free kick:eek::eek:

Thanks again;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭holidaysong

Thank you! I can't believe nobody mentioned this before you. I remember having to explain this to a room full of supposed "football nuts" a couple of years ago when something like this happened.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

The person standing closest to the goal at the time of a forward pass in an attacking move cannot be an attacking player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Nah keep making threads, if only to annoy bamboozling.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

flahavaj wrote: »
    Nah keep making threads, if only to annoy bamboozling.;)

You won't be saying that when the interewb is full.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭coolhandspan

ha ha bamboozey, what a guy, very reasonable and great fun..;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭holidaysong

orourkeda wrote: »
    The person standing closest to the goal at the time of a forward pass in an attacking move cannot be an attacking player

It's nearly always the goalkeeper. Doesn't mean you're not offside though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement