Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water damage caused to my apt by tennants above

Options
  • 05-01-2011 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭

I came home yesterday to find my ground floor apartment flooded, in sitting room and bedroom to a lesser extend. Went round to neighbours & discover those above me who have a duplex, had same issue at their ground floor door. This morning I had a damp spot on my kitchen ceiling.

I work in the construction industry, so a collegaue came & we went upstairs. We kinda knew it wasn't a pipes/ plumbing issue. Turns out they have had a problem with their washing machine & when my collegaue looked under their sink it seemed like they had a leak there too. He was 100% certain my water was coming from there.

They said they would get onto their letting agent & get the landlord on the case but were reluctant for me to ring the agent or landlord, they seemed glad we found the problem for them as they were a bit clueless & the girl wanted her washing machine back working.

Now to my question, am I right in thinking I can claim off their landlord, and not the managment company. I was thinking if I don't hear from their letting agent/landlord by tomorrow afternoon, I will get in touch with the letting agent I should contact them myself. Or could anyone advise me on a procedure to follow.

I should add the tennants are travellers and all grand so far, I would like to keep it like that - don't want to cause agro.

Thanks for reading the long winded post

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Birdsong wrote: »
    Now to my question, am I right in thinking I can claim off their landlord, and not the managment company. I was thinking if I don't hear from their letting agent/landlord by tomorrow afternoon, I will get in touch with the letting agent I should contact them myself. Or could anyone advise me on a procedure to follow.

Yes, you are correct. You would make a claim against the unit owner (their landlord). You can take a civil case against him if they don't co-operate.

The landlord should have proper landlord insurance.

You would have no grounds to make a claim against the management company, this is purely between you and your neighbour above. He, of course, has to deal with the tenants and could possibly seek compensation from them for the damage they caused.

Advertisement