Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

big problem with the Canon EOS 350D

• 05-01-2011 11:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hi all,

not sure am I in the right section asking this question but here goes:

I am currently travelling abroad in South America and using a Canon EOS 350D to document my travells. The other day I was putting in a fresh SD (the CF type - big yoke) into the card slot and I had to push it in slightly, as usual, but as it turns outm god knows how, i managed to bend two of the prongs out of position. I am referring to the pins inside the card reader slot in the camera itself. They are very hard to access so I am not able to bend them back into position by sticking something into the slot. I am unsure of any canon service points in the area, I am also afraid that to take the camera into a shop would exceed its worth in terms of fixing costs, rather than buying a new digital pocket camera.

My question is: can i takethe camera apart to fix the prongs myself? Basically two prongs need straightening. There are tiny screws around the bottom of the body and to the side where the card reader flap is. If I undo these will I be able to get at the pins? Or is the camera body thermo sealed??

please help.

maggs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Some of those pins are not easy to bend back. They break very easy.

You might be better off repairing it by an authorised service centre ... or just buy a new camera.

Sorry to hear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Shockin bad luck that. I didn't even think it would be possible to bend the pins in a camera because of the rigid way the cards slip in. I'd say it might be hard enough to find a place that would repair it though, depending on where you are in South America of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

tweezers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

No sure if it is available to you but if you can find a syringe with a wide enough needle to fit over the fin you can bend them back carefully. I would suggest a biro as an alternative but I am not sure it is thin enough of rigid enough.

I hope that helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

No sure if it is available to you but if you can find a syringe with a wide enough needle to fit over the fin you can bend them back carefully. I would suggest a biro as an alternative but I am not sure it is thin enough of rigid enough.

I hope that helps.

When I saw this thread I was about to tell her to contact you. You cant get to South America over the next few days???.

I had this with a 400d and could not bend the pins back. They are very rigid. On the syringe idea, if you are near a hospital that has a lab it could be worth asking a lab tech for some help.

Advertisement