Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Data Protection & Local Priest?

Options
  • 05-01-2011 8:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭

The local priest has a database of people living in the area which he uses to send out personalised donation envelopes. Each envelope has is numbered so there is obviously the potential to monitor the amount and frequency of donations from individuals.

These envelopes - and other items - are sent to everyone he regards as Catholic, regardless of whether they attend church or not.

I only go to church for funerals, weddings etc. and never consented to have my name entered on this database. There are others in a similar position

Is it worth contacting the DPA on this? Haddockman suggested that they are not very active and, as I live in a rural area where the "pay, pray and obey" mentality is still strong, I do not want to start a fight unless I have a good chance of winning.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Why not just contact the church and asked to me removed from their list?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved your post to its own thread as it had no relation to the original topic involving Perlico.

Have you asked the priest to remove you from his list?

I could get a list of all people living in my parish as well - from the register of voters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BnB

Just contact the priest and ask to be removed from the list and don't be such a drama queen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

I don't see why the OP should have to contact a priest to have their name removed from the list, the priest shouldn't be putting together such a list in the first place. We get the odd general leaflets etc in the door and they go straight in the recycling bin. I'd be very unimpressed if they were numbered to keep track of who's donating, and how much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

This is standard practice in quite a few Catholic parishes I've been in. Not only will the priest know who is donating what but in some cases there will be other 'trusted' lay partitioners who'll have access too. I know of one case where someone was approached by the parish priest because the family's donations weren't being put in the envelope. It's just a cynical way to bully people into donating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

While i dont like the practise, the pp is doing no wrong, he has assimulated data that is freely available and has compiled a mailing list. its not as if he is using any personal information.

if you dont like the spam just ask him to remove you from the list.

ET you cant stop people from compiling a mailing list :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

1. Tell priest you dont want to be on the mailing list.
    2. If you still get then, bin them, like you would with other SPAM.

I dont know why any other steps would need to be taken to be honest. Total over reaction tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

It's just a cynical way to bully people into donating.
    No, it's a way to keep track of who donated what, so that the parish can get the tax back for these donations at the end of the year.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

This information would probably fall under the term of sensitive personal information (religious beliefs) and would be subject to the DP legislation
    There are a number of simple rules for data controllers (presumably the priest in this case) - see http://www.dataprotection.ie/ViewDoc.asp?fn=/documents/responsibilities/3bii.htm&CatID=54&m=y.

mdebets wrote: »
    No, it's a way to keep track of who donated what, so that the parish can get the tax back for these donations at the end of the year.
    Are parish priests are now calling out to people who donate over €250 with a copy of CHY2 for them to fill in?

Edit: Actually don't bother answering - of course they are. It's just a pity they allow a situation where the envelopes make people feel obliged to give more generously because they're being tracked too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Hah ...

Good thing you don't work in Germany, they take it straight out of your pay.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_tax

If we had a Church tax here in Ireland there'd be big sprawling threads on Boards about excommunicating yourself and getting a refund.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Shelflife wrote: »
    While i dont like the practise, the pp is doing no wrong, he has assimulated data that is freely available and has compiled a mailing list. its not as if he is using any personal information.

if you dont like the spam just ask him to remove you from the list.

ET you cant stop people from compiling a mailing list :)

Curious, how is it acceptable for him to collect people's details (name, address and religion), yet if a company did it and then spammed people you'd likely be calling for it to be fined.

Spam is spam, doesn't matter who its from its not ok and mailing lists should always be opt-in if you want them not opt-out if you don't want them.

Given the church now has affectively closed the opt-out the church will always consider you catholic even if your say your not, does that give them the right to spam you until you die given you can never fully opt-out.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Hah ...

Good thing you don't work in Germany, they take it straight out of your pay.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_tax

It would be the best thing ever if that happened here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Cabaal wrote: »
    It would be the best thing ever if that happened here :)

yay, more taxes, I think we can all agree we come home with so much money each week that we don't know what to do with it.

Nolimits wrote: »
    yay, more taxes, I think we can all agree we come home with so much money each week that we don't know what to do with it.

Well it might get people to think and those that don't actually believe in the church to actually leave the church formally (in order to avoid giving money to a group of people they don't follow) :)

Of course as it stands right now the church won't technically allow you to leave the church.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

It would also good in that it would take money away from the wasteful state and grant it to the more cost-effective Church.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Cabaal wrote: »
    Well it might get people to think and those that don't actually believe in the church to actually leave the church formally (in order to avoid giving money to a group of people they don't follow) :)

Of course as it stands right now the church won't technically allow you to leave the church.

Well its a bit of a joke tbh that people get married in a Church when they havent set foot in one since mammy and daddy made them go when they were kids.

Myself, I sent a letter off to get removed from the Catholic register in Germany and now have it removed from my Tax card so I don't have to pay my 80 euros / month or there abouts.

Advertisement