Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to give clothes to charity

Options
  • 05-01-2011 8:39pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Well I've about 4 or 5 big black bags of clothes to get rid of due to a death in the family. Any ideas?

PM me if you know somewhere that will take it all, shoes included.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Hi - I've moved your post to its own thread as you resurrected an old thread with it. If you tell us which area you are located in, I can move the thread to an appropriate forum.

Do any of the car parks in are your area have recycling centres with a clothes bank? They're pretty common these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Try Enable Ireland or Saint Vincent de Paul.

Both would have drop off centres.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Just drop the bags into the likes of an Oxfam shop, as long as they aren't rags (decent nick) and are clean they'll take them off your hands :)

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

And if they aren't in decent nick, I believe Gorta can take them to sell on as rags.
    Here's the list for Dublin - look for the official clothes hanger logo;
    http://www.icsa.ie/shops/dublin

Whatever you do, please do not leave them out for the bogus charity collectors.

"Commercial textile merchants collect clothes from the public, sell them overseas and make a lot of money. Money that charities could be making is going to commercial operators.
    We have seen a drop in donations of 50% in some areas," said Paul Hughes of the Irish Cancer Society."

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If you live in Dublin then you should find that at your local bottle bank there is usually nowadays a used clothes container, the local authority keeps these well away from the bogus collectors.

Why not give the general location where you live and someone will be able to steer you to the nearest recycling centre with a used clothes container.

If you're prepared to deliver then I'd say Enable Ireland would take them if they're in good condition.

• Advertisement
Advertisement