Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

90yr old wants a good reminisce

Options
  • 05-01-2011 11:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi
    My Mum is 91 in March, bright as a button and really enjoys a good reminisce.

Her maiden name was O'Reilly. Known as Pat or Tricia. She lived over the chip shop in Weavers Sq (up off Cork St) 1920-1959 when she married. All 8 kids and her Mum and Dad lived in the 2 roomed flat. She went to Weavers Sq School.
    Among other places she worked in the Green Mount woolen Mills, Harolds Cross and Wills sewing factory, Chamber St.
    She was a member of the Pell St Music Society, The Corey Music Society Inchicore and the City of Dublin Girls Pipe Band. Busy woman.

So anyone out there who would fancy a chat or have photos that might have memories for her please let me know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Your mam probably knew my late nan, she only lived around the corner and my nan was very involved in making curtains and sewing. If memory serves me right my nan would be 92 if she was still around.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Good spot for photos here.

Thats a lovely thing you are doing for her, really lovely. I hope you get a great response.
    Best of Luck to you and your Mam
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Just random but have you thought about recording her talking about her memories? I run a project for older people with intellectual disabilities (I know this isn't y our Mam, I'm just saying that's my background!!!) telling their life stories and it's something I'm passionate about! All you need is a tape recorder, and some time.

I know it's not really what you're looking for, but so many life stories and little bits of history are going unrecorded and will be forgotten about soon, we're loosing our history!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 lispyelf

hi zoegh
    Myself and a friend plan a liberties road trip when the weather improves. A chair and video camera and off we'll go. Mum's quite keen.

Gavin, what was your nan's name?

• Advertisement

lispyelf wrote: »
    hi zoegh
    Myself and a friend plan a liberties road trip when the weather improves. A chair and video camera and off we'll go. Mum's quite keen.

That would be brilliant, be very interesting. I've lived in the Liberties for all my 20 years, and my mam has lived here all here life too, would be of interest too us both.

lispyelf wrote: »
    Gavin, what was your nan's name?

Margaret "Peggy" Egan, used to live on Madden Rd, just a couple of roads away from Weavers Square.

http://www.storymap.ie/

storymapdublin@gmail.com is the contact email.

This lad was being interviewed on Newstalk yesterday (I think), seems like a great idea and if you're still lurking lispyelf it could be an idea to get your mam involved with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

OP
    a good place to make this request would be here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=330

the people in that forum are mad knowledgable about those times and places and might be better able to help you.
    hope you have luck with your search and agree with the poster above, that's a lovely thing you're doing for her :)

Advertisement