Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Punch's Hotel

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Can't imagine what Brian Greene is thinking in opening a new budget hotel. Punches can't stay open as it is and there is such an oversupply of hotel rooms that they are quite cheap anyway.

Madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Punch's hotel / DG Hotels has been in trouble for years...

Too many hotels in Limerick to begin with....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

FFS another hotel, seriously do developers\business men have an original thought in their head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

FFS another hotel, seriously do developers\business men have an original thought in their head.

Well seeing as PP has been applied for, for new traffic lights and the building of a new housing estate by the Condell road I would hazard a guess and say that they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Sicky

How hard would it be to change a "budget hotel" into a private nursing or convalesence home?
    Ideal location...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

seachto7 wrote: »
    Punch's hotel / DG Hotels has been in trouble for years...

Too many hotels in Limerick to begin with....

DG Hotels are gone a long time. They bit the bullet during 2008 If I remember correctly. One of the Dunnes(the son) is still around and is a director of the Hi Way / Russells crowd.

Punchs was a different kettle of fish altogether.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Sicky wrote: »
    How hard would it be to change a "budget hotel" into a private nursing or convalesence home?
    Ideal location...

Punches? Really? How in the name of blazes could you think that? It's right on the side of a very busy road, not even as much as a flowerbed for patients to look at. Not to mention that if a confused person were to manage to wander out of there, the conseqences could be disastrous!

Having never been inside the hotel I can't comment on the suitability of the interior but I have my doubts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Awh no :(

They did a lovely dinner!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Sicky

Punches? Really? How in the name of blazes could you think that? It's right on the side of a very busy road, not even as much as a flowerbed for patients to look at. Not to mention that if a confused person were to manage to wander out of there, the conseqences could be disastrous!

Having never been inside the hotel I can't comment on the suitability of the interior but I have my doubts.

Fellas have been falling out of Punches for the last 50 years and I've never heard of an accident!!
    -But it was this proposed development I was referring to:

Can't imagine what Brian Greene is thinking in opening a new budget hotel. Punches can't stay open as it is and there is such an oversupply of hotel rooms that they are quite cheap anyway.

Madness.

It could be handy when the VHI take over the Regional...

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭firesidechat

If Brian Greene wants to go ahead and develop another hotel in limerick, I say fair play to . But, Not one penny towards this hairbrained idea of his must come from a bank that is being supported by tax payers bailout.
    If he cannot fund it out of his own pocket then it should not be allowed to go ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Brian Greenes plans could be scuppered by the residential neighbours of his who will not want to be overlooked by many hotel rooms. Would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭mistermarantz

Guys,

Is it true that this hotel is now under new ownership and is to remain open?

If so, it's good news for the staff

Guys,

Is it true that this hotel is now under new ownership and is to remain open?

If so, it's good news for the staff

I believe it is. A friend of mine works there and she was saying its staying open under new ownership saving all jobs. Unfortunately I have no source except for a facebook status update but it is true. I'm delighted, the staff were brickin' it for the last few weeks and expecting the worst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

Well that is good news, if we can get new jobs into the area, a lot of these businesses that are in trouble now should be ok in the medium term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Good to hear that it is staying open. Means a chunk of people get to keep their jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Think somewhere needs to turn into a hostel soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

I have always been interested in opening a funky young hostel in the middle of the city just the costs are massive, so unless I win the lotto no joy :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,014 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Sicky wrote: »
    Ideal location...

Extremely difficult, particularly if it is multi story. Rooms in Hotels whilst designed to be comfortable and presentable are in the main too small for private nursing home use. Access issues would also be a big challenge, lifts, ramps etc as well as installing appropriate bathroom and toilet facilities.

Its more sad news about yet another hotel closing but not at all surprising and on the back of the Bayview in Killybegs. I fear a lot more closures are to come.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

kilburn wrote: »
    I have always been interested in opening a funky young hostel in the middle of the city just the costs are massive, so unless I win the lotto no joy :(

Was there any more about that Hostel that was supposed to be into The Globe building?

Advertisement