Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In the PlayPen: Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Options
  • 05-01-2011 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭

I apologise in advance... I'll be bad at this!

Here's to the revival of the PlayPen! What a man for it to start with...

Some say he fights demons

Some say he fights ghosts

But I have a strange feeling his opponent of choice is a vampire , whom he can only defeat whilst listening to Duffy...

Nevertheless,
    I give you

Duffy the Vampire Slayer !

Who's your biggest inspiration?
    Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
    Chocolate or crisps?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Will you EVER get your accounts merged? :P

When was the last time you killed a vampire?

Are you only here because C&H is full of vampires who never sleep?

Do you drink duff?

Pandas or Koalas?

Socks; pairs or odds?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Thanks ihavequestions. Lets see what do I have to start off with here...
    Who's your biggest inspiration?
    Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
    Chocolate or crisps?

Biggest inspiration - This is the type of question I always have trouble answering because nobody really comes to mind easily. I suppose my all-time favourite person from history who I really admire is Michael Davitt... Not sure if hes really an inspiration in my regular life though its not often I come across corrupt landlords who want to evict me from my boggy farm.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years? - Another one I have a bit of trouble with because I'm not sure what I'll be doing in September never mind ten years! But my vague plan as of now is to do a masters next year and see where that takes me, so in ten years its really hard to tell where I'll be.

Chocolate or crisps? - Easy one. Definitely chocolate. Although I do like the odd pack of tayto.
    SarahBeep! wrote:
    Will you EVER get your accounts merged?

Ooooooh saucer of milk for Sarah!

I made inquiries about but haven't actually done anything concrete... So yeah its looking less likely by the day tbh. I probably should to avoid confusion.
    When was the last time you killed a vampire?

In Roscommon on November 3rd. Place is infested with them, why do you think everyone avoids it?
    Are you only here because C&H is full of vampires who never sleep?

I hadn't considered the possibility.... But now I'll be keeping an eye out for vampire activities in the forum.
    Do you drink duff?

I used to! Friend of mine got me some for Christmas 2 years ago and it was quite nice. They even sold it in a pub in my town for a while but I didn't go there very often. Had a bottle whenever I popped in though.
    Pandas or Koalas?

Red Pandas!

Red-Panda3.jpg

Socks; pairs or odds?

I obsessively wear matching pairs. I don't know why but odd socks irritate me.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭cheesefiend

Best gig you've ever been to?

Favourite condiment?

What's your earliest memory?

Got any weird quirks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Favourite type of pizza?

Best flavour of Ben and Jerrys? :P

Favourite Boards forum?

Do you like animals? If so, what's your favourite?

Favourite band/music/etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Wooo its back! Well done people :)

So Duffy...

Best thing about living in the Wesht?

Worst thing about living in the Wesht?

C&H'r you want to meet the most?

Most realistic New Years resolution you're gunna keep?

1 thing you're doing this summer?

Soccer or football?

What was your first impression of me?

What do you do when you're not on boards?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Mollikins

What is your favourite colour?

Favourite song ever?

Favourite band?

Favourite film?

I'll try to come up with less boring questions next time. :p

Best gig you've ever been to?

Not a huge music fan so I haven't been to a great number of gigs. Also a lot of my friends and I have fairly different tastes so I don't end up going to all that many. I've been to oxegen though and Blur and Pendulum really stood out for me in 09 as well as Kasabian and Muse in 10. I was also at a Bell X1 gig in Galway back in 08 and it was spectacular, and the Villagers were the supporting act which made it even better.
    Favourite condiment?

I'd be lost without ketchup on my chips or gravy on my spuds.
    What's your earliest memory?

I have a very vague memory of playing in a park when I was little kid in New York which I think is my earliest. I also remember being on holidays in Florida not too long after. All my other memories come from after my parents moved back to Mayo in 93 so those two must be the earliest.
    Got any weird quirks?

Loads. One is them is that I like to eat brown soda bread with a cup of tea and I chew the crust of the bread off first and then eat the rest. I don't like eating soda bread when people I don't know well are around because they probably think I'm weird :o
    Noel2k9 wrote:
    Favourite type of pizza?

Just regular margherita normally or else chicken or pepperoni. Not really a fan of having too many toppings.
    Best flavour of Ben and Jerrys? :P

Don't eat much B&Js but generally when it comes to ice cream anything with lots of chocolate is good!
    Favourite Boards forum?

C&H of course... Silly question! I do have a few others I go to a lot though. I look at Politics, History & Heritage, Films, and After Hours quite regularly.
    Do you like animals? If so, what's your favourite?

I love animals, especially dogs and especially Jack Russells- The one I have at the moment is part collie though, so he has ridiculously long legs and has super-canine jumping abilities. My family used to have a few Connemara Ponies as well but I never really warmed to horses that much.
    Favourite band/music/etc?

Well as I said I'm not a huge music fan but my favourite musician is definitely Bruce Springsteen I absolutely love the man. I like a lot of other different sorts of music as well, been listening to Tallest Man on Earth a lot recently. I live with a very musical group of people in college which means I know more about music than I would otherwise, find out about lots of bands I never would if I wasn't overhearing what they listen to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

Have you ever watched Buffy the Vampire Slayer?

Favourite thing about NUIG?

Do you like Christmas?

Favourite video game?

Social networking or living in reality?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

John or edward?

Me or deise?

Favourite type of cheese?

Niall or noel? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Would you wear a pink shirt?

Describe yourself in no more than 10 words.

What will you name your first child?

Why did you leave C&H for so long?

Whats your favourite type of coffee?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

What subjects do you study in college?

Do you enjoy college or do you ever half wish you'd gone somewhere else/ done something else?

Dream job?

Ever been to the South East?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Favourite condiment?

I'd be lost without ketchup on my chips or gravy on my spuds.

Have to call you up on that. Gravy isn't a condiment; it's a hot sauce.
    [/pedant]

Favourite pub and club in Galway?
    Ever brave the Westside Tavern? :D
    Favourite book?
    Favourite characters from The Wire?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Am I the only to have just found out you were formerly Shacklebolt?

Why the new account?

Strangest dream you've ever had?

Longest you've ever slept?

Strangest place you've slept?

Do shiney things appeal to you?

Would a free bungee jump be your idea of a good present?

Best thing about living in the Wesht?

Boxty, Poiteen, Wren-Boying, Mid-West Radio,... Oh theres just too many things to name!

One thing I've come to appreciate is how safe it is in the west... Even in Galway theres remarkably little violent crime. In general its a fairly safe to grow up.

Worst thing about living in the Wesht?

Maybe its the same in rural areas everywhere but there are a lot of narrow-minded people in my area who think that they're small town is all that there is in life. A lot of them get a bit more sense when they go to college but some never do.

Oh and the fact my county are the biggest bottlers in the GAA. Its awful losing so many finals.
    C&H'r you want to meet the most?

I've heard Noels voice I need a face to attach to it!
    Most realistic New Years resolution you're gunna keep?

Study more this semester. Theres a chance I'll stick to it.
    1 thing you're doing this summer?

Going by the line-up it might be a 3rd in a row Oxegen for me... I'll to see how I'm sorted for money though!
    Soccer or football?

I wonder which you prefer using those terms? Thought Sligo were all soccer-heads :pac: I'm a football man its the only sport I follow - growing up in my village there were two sports soccer and gaelic football, and I only stuck with the second one.
    What was your first impression of me?

I think the first time I was talking to you was on the thread about what county you were from or something like that? I accused you of having a Sligo townie accent :pac:
    What do you do when you're not on boards?

These days very little I've had a lazy Christmas! But nothing out of the ordinary really, when I'm not in college I'm usually working (even though I haven't been recently) and when Im not busy with either of those I just usually hang around with my friends, read, or watch excessive amounts of hour-long American drama series.
    Mollikins wrote: »
    What is your favourite colour?

Red
    Favourite song ever?

Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd. Beautiful song.
    Favourite band?

Bruce Springsteen and the E-Steet Band
    Favourite film?

There Will Be Blood. But the film I can watch endlessly and never get tired of is the original Willy Wonka with Gene Wilder.
    Ally7 wrote: »
    Have you ever watched Buffy the Vampire Slayer?

Not really! I remember seeing it when I was a kid and not being a fan, but I've been assured its quite good. Must give it a look some time.
    Favourite thing about NUIG?

That massive corridor... Its like a box of chocolates you never what you'll get (By which of course I mean you can run into anyone there not that they liberally distribute chocolate around). But mainly the fact that its in Galway, because I love Galway.
    Do you like Christmas?

Kind of... My Christmas Days themselves are usually fairly boring but I love the holidays because everyone is around, and I see people for the first time in ages.
    Favourite video game?

I don't really play many games but for the amount of enjoyment I've gotten from it I'd have to say Modern Warfare 2. Team Deathmatchin' the sh1t out of it with my housemates.
    Social networking or living in reality?

I'm completely addicted to Facebook and it would probably be better that it never existed.
    John or edward?

Which ones which?
    Me or deise?

flipping-a-coin-gives-you-the-truth-of-the-matter-21350026.jpg

You win Soccy... Sorry Deise!
    Favourite type of cheese?

Charleville Mature White Cheddar... Oh yes.
    Niall or noel? :D

I'm assuming by Niall you mean that One Direction lad so I'll go with Noel... I can be sure hes the right sorta fella :D

Tea or coffee?
    Do you prefer T.V. as it's broadcast or DVD boxsets?
    Favourite website?
    What was your best subject in school?

Favourite Muse song?

Would you wear a pink shirt?

I would but I've never owned one. I need to do a serious clothes shop so maybe thats a possibility!
    Describe yourself in no more than 10 words.

Clean as a whistle, sharp as a thistle, best in all Westminster!
    What will you name your first child?

Well one thing my mother doesnt like is naming a child after relatives so I'll probably stick with her policy and avoid the way of doing things. So it'll have some crazy name like Nebucabnezzar.
    Why did you leave C&H for so long?

Well I didn't intend to... I lost access to my account and they werent able to sort me out so I ended up stranded and eventually drifted away from boards. But occasionally I'd come onto C&H and see what I was missing out on and eventually I made my long awaited return.
    Whats your favourite type of coffee?

Not really sure but I'll tell you one thing... STARBUCKS IS NOT ALL ITS CRACKED UP TO BE :mad: Had some in that new one in college and wasn't impressed.
    bythewoods wrote: »
    What subjects do you study in college?

I'm doing English and History.
    Do you enjoy college or do you ever half wish you'd gone somewhere else/ done something else?

No I like it I must say, can't imagine I'd be happier doing anything else!
    Dream job?

If I could take Kevin Myers job and get paid to express highly controversial opinions it would be brilliant- I already do that for free! (From a very different perspective to Myers though)
    Ever been to the South East?

Yeah twice, I was in New Ross for a weekend last March, and in Waterford for a house party in October. The first was me going to stay at a friends for the weekend but the second was just a case of any excuse for a session me and three others (Only two from the south-east) going to a 21st and my did we party hard. Just to give you the general gist of things well its touched upon over in the drugs thread. But yeah I like the south-east everyone I've known from there is quare sound :pac:
    Monzo wrote: »
    Have to call you up on that. Gravy isn't a condiment; it's a hot sauce.
    [/pedant]

Well someones a bit of a moaning Michael Monzo this evening! :P
    Favourite pub and club in Galway?

Pub- probably The Quays. Also like the Roisin. Club- was Cuba :(
    Ever brave the Westside Tavern? :D

I went to the off-license part... If I ever feel like an excuse to wear a tracksuit I'll go for a few pints there.
    Favourite book?

Nineteen-Eighty-Four is probably my favourite. I've consistently loved it for years.
    Favourite characters from The Wire?

Well I like the usuals that almost everyone loves like McNulty and Omar but one of own personal favourites is Bunny Colvin.
    jumpguy wrote: »
    Am I the only to have just found out you were formerly Shacklebolt?

Seemingly not!
    Why the new account?

Explained above.... I love access to the old one sadly but hew I got a cool new name!
    Strangest dream you've ever had?

Last night has to be up there... Dreamt I found a secret compartment in my closet full of drink in weird jars? And a half rolled joint? :confused:
    Longest you've ever slept?

I think it was when I was sick a few years ago I slept for about 24 hours straight.
    Strangest place you've slept?

In a bath.
    Do shiney things appeal to you?

No I have an unnerving attraction to fire.. I dont know why.
    Would a free bungee jump be your idea of a good present?

Probably not I'd say I'd be terrified :eek:
    Tea or coffee?

Tea is better. Strong with no sugar and just a drop of milk please.
    Do you prefer T.V. as it's broadcast or DVD boxsets?

I like watching it as its broadcast but some programmes are better suited to DVD.
    Favourite website?

TV Tropes. Insanely addictive.
    What was your best subject in school?

History was usually my best. Terrible at maths and languages apart from English.
    Favourite Muse song?

Aaaah good. A man after my own tastes. :D

Best vomit of your life?

bythewoods wrote: »
    Best vomit of your life?

Interesting question... It was probably the time I was coming home from a teenage disco on a bus and managed to hold it in for a good while before finally running into the bathroom and getting sick. Dont know how I kept it in for so long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Money being no object; describe the most perfect day you could ever ever ever have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Why Marilyn?

Has any man ever hit on you when dressed as her? (Challengemaster doesn't count)

Have I ever hit on you when wearing it?

Money being no object; describe the most perfect day you could ever ever ever have.

It would be the third sunday in september. I'd awaken at around ten o'clock and go downstairs to the massive fry which has been prepared by the chef I have hired for the day. I would then be flown by helicopter to Croke Park where I would watch Mayo win the All-Ireland following my bribery of the other team. Then I would stop by Galway and get my dinner at Vinnies chipper before going back to Mayo for the celebrations. I could probably think of something better but that seems fairly good to me.
    Why Marilyn?

Because of my luscious blonde locks! :D
    Has any man ever hit on you when dressed as her? (Challengemaster doesn't count)

No I dont think so... I didnt leave the house in it so I wasnt being groped by horny fellas.
    Have I ever hit on you when wearing it?

Sounds like you are now ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Yay! A fellow English student for me to ask ridiculously nerdy questions to :pac:

Favourite piece of literature you've studied?

Favourite school of literary theory?

Do you think university level literature courses should just focus on a general reading of the texts, or are theoretical readings (i.e. looking at something from a postcolonial/poststructuralist viewpoint) useful?

Jean Baudrillard describes the “image” today as a “simulacra”. Discuss the role of the “simulacra” in Baudrillard’s thought.*

*I think I remember you posting about your dislike for postmodernism, so a question on everyone's favourite postmodern theorist needed to be asked :P I also robbed this from the sample questions for the exam I have on Monday :o

Some more general questions:

What's your favourite meme?

How did you discover boards?

Is fresh air highly overrated? :pac:

Also, I just noticed your sig :D - what's your favourite season of The Wire and why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

TV Tropes. Insanely addictive.

NO YOU FOOL, YOU LINKED TO TV TROPES! I'LL NEVER BE ABLE TO ESCAAAAAAAPE
    That website is too damn addictive.

Yay! A fellow English student for me to ask ridiculously nerdy questions to :pac:

Favourite piece of literature you've studied?

Well I've studied some pieces of literature that I had already read and loved such as Nineteen Eighty-Four so I'm going to ignore them and focus on ones I was new to. I'd say the Go-Between would have to be up there, I really enjoyed it, must read it again some time.
    Favourite school of literary theory?

As far as I'm concerned trying to stick to one of those schools is impossible because each of them ignores things that I feel have to be taken into account (Like Formalism or New Criticism ignoring the context the work was written in) but the one I find the most interesting and comprehensible would be Marxist.

Oh and while looking back on past PlayPens I seen Pygmalions 'I Will Derive' video so I'll throw in a nerdy music video of my own here...

Do you think university level literature courses should just focus on a general reading of the texts, or are theoretical readings (i.e. looking at something from a postcolonial/poststructuralist viewpoint) useful?

I think theoretical readings can be useful but some of them are just plain silly and look for interpretations and meanings that just aren't there. Some theorists seem to like looking at everything from a Feminist or Marxist viewpoint even when its not relevant to the subject matter at all. History can be the same sometimes.
    Jean Baudrillard describes the “image” today as a “simulacra”. Discuss the role of the “simulacra” in Baudrillard’s thought.*

*I think I remember you posting about your dislike for postmodernism, so a question on everyone's favourite postmodern theorist needed to be asked :P I also robbed this from the sample questions for the exam I have on Monday :o

millionaire-wtf.jpg

I think Baudrillard is confusing and like most postmodernists needs to stop over thinking everything. He basically believes theres no such thing as reality anymore which is... interesting to say the least.
    Some more general questions:

What's your favourite meme?

Joseph Ducreux...

top_10_joseph_ducreux_remixes1.jpg?w=228&h=299
    How did you discover boards?

Looking at the CTYI boards back in 2005 or so. Didn't become a member until 2008 though.
    Is fresh air highly overrated? :pac:

Definitely not... I've been airing out my room all morning trying to get rid of the stale air in the place. My room for some reason is really bad for getting like that.
    Also, I just noticed your sig :D - what's your favourite season of The Wire and why?

Season 4 in my opinion was the best. I wasn't sure what to make of it at first because of all the new characters but the storylines involving them were brilliant, the old characters storylines were as good as ever, and it had the most emotional ending of any of the series.

I'm sorry but I can't resist linking to the closing theme.
    Colm! wrote: »
    NO YOU FOOL, YOU LINKED TO TV TROPES! I'LL NEVER BE ABLE TO ESCAAAAAAAPE
    That website is too damn addictive.

tab_explosion.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

So you're on the lash with Brian Cowen one night and all of a sudden someone remembers that he's supposed to have a "big important economy type thing" meeting in the morning. You are given the job of sobering him up. How do you do it?

Sober Cowen realises he doesn't have a fúcking clue what he's doing and once again it's you who has to save the day. What are your suggestions for helping fix the economy?

As a reward for your work, Herr Cowen gives you a choice; you can have a cheque for €10,000 (most likely taken from the Health budget) or you can have the "mystery box." Do you do the safe/boring thing and take the money or take the gamble of that enticing yet potentially disappointing box?

So you're on the lash with Brian Cowen one night and all of a sudden someone remembers that he's supposed to have a "big important economy type thing" meeting in the morning. You are given the job of sobering him up. How do you do it?

The old reliable of spoonfuls of coffee straight from the jar always works a treat.
    Sober Cowen realises he doesn't have a fúcking clue what he's doing and once again it's you who has to save the day. What are your suggestions for helping fix the economy?

1: Abolish the meal of dinner. For too long people had ate an unnecessary third meal every day wasting valuable food.

2: All cars are to adapted to resemble Del-Boys, saving money on tyres.

3: Use of unicycles shall be encouraged for the same reason.

4: Newry, Derry, and Enniskillen shall be occupied by the Irish army to prevent shoppers from availing of the lower prices there.

5: Invade a small mostly defenceless state such as Costa Rica (They have no army) and use its natural resources for our own gain.

As a reward for your work, Herr Cowen gives you a choice; you can have a cheque for €10,000 (most likely taken from the Health budget) or you can have the "mystery box." Do you do the safe/boring thing and take the money or take the gamble of that enticing yet potentially disappointing box?

I'd take the washer and dryer over where the lovely Smithers is standing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Do you always end up in the kitchen at parties?

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Do you always end up in the kitchen at parties?

Usually although in my college house we transform our sitting room into a dancefloor which leads to some nice alternation between rooms.

• Advertisement

Big spoon or little spoon?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement