Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord (letting agent) threatening to change locks

Options
  • 05-01-2011 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Ok, we didnt pay the rent in for december because we couldnt afford it now Jans is due. We (me my husband and 3 yr old son) have decided we need to move out. we told our letting agent today as he texted us about Jans paymnt we advised him that we couldnt afford it any longer & we are moving out and will be out by nxt friday (15th) he is now advising if we dont pay the rent tomoro he will be around with a lock smith tomorrow at lunch (we already advised him we would be at work) We have not had any written notice from him which we advised him but he advised he sent us a text in Dec looking for payment and as far as he is concerned that was his notice.. I just want to know where we stand here I am terrified that I will come home from work tomorrow and the locks are changed my friend is minding our child who is 3 in the house tomorrow as my husband has a few days work !!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Sorry to hear your trouble. Where are you going on the 15th? Could you move there earlier? I expect the agent doesn't believe you'll move on the 15th. I don't see any other reason why they wouldn't wait one more week. They've already waited over a month. While the LL will get fined for an illegal eviction, it looks like it works out less expensive than waiting and going to court. Unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 123tracey123

But can he do it ?? I have been looking online about this and it seems that there is a protocol to follow 14 days & 28 day letters which none have been done. We are movin into my mothers house as my bro is moving out !! we have only every recvd 1 text in Dec then again today & now he is advising us that if we dont have the rent tomorrow he will be around with the Lock Smith!!!!!!!!! Im so worried, Im going to call him tomorrow and see if we can arrange something and might not be any harm in contacting the PRTB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

But Tracy, you're not paying your rent. Of course he's entitled to evict you. Following legal protocol of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

I doubt his text would be a valid notice of termination of tenancy.
    Get onto the PRTB first thing in the morning for advice.

6. What do I do if my landlord gives me a notice of termination of tenancy and I feel that it is not valid?

If you receive a notice of termination of tenancy and you consider that it is not valid, then you should contact the PRTB by telephone (01 - 6350600) or email (disputes@prtb.ie) within 28 days of receipt of the notice to discuss the matter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

They're out a months payment (after the deposit) and you've confessed that you do not intend paying the rent you owe (2 months), yet you think they should wait another week for ye to go. Honestly in my humble opinion the minute you knew you couldnt afford the rent anymore you should of moved out.... fair is fair (im not a landlord by the way).

Legally your entitled to 28 days notice after you breached your lease agreement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

you say you could not afford rent, but why did you not attempt to pay some of the rent, he still has to give you notice in writing dated and signed

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

First thing in the morning, try to contact Threshold www.threshold.ie
    he will be around with a lock smith tomorrow at lunch
    He isn't entitled to change the locks. If he tries this, call the Garda. While you haven't paid the rent, it is still your home and you are entitled to peaceful enjoyment until such time as you are either served with an eviction notice or move out.
    he advised he sent us a text in Dec looking for payment and as far as he is concerned that was his notice..
    What did the text say? There are certain requirement of the notice to leave and I suspect all he did was ask for the money.

Can you pay some money to keep him happy for the moment? To show your good faith?

Where are you going to live? Do you have the money you need? It might be useful to talk to the local Community Welfare Officer (usually located in the local health centre). http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/Find_a_Service/PrimaryCare/Health_Centres/

Let us know if you need help.
    Kimia wrote: »
    But Tracy, you're not paying your rent. Of course he's entitled to evict you. Following legal protocol of course.
    Only a court can order an eviction. While the landlord / agent can start the process that leads to an eviction, doing it themselves is illegal

he is not allowed to change locks, will have to give notice in writing, and anyway you say you will be leaving shortly, i would offer what i could afford to pay if i were you, at least he sees you are trying, but not offering some thing is not right,

Will the Garda do anything in a case like this?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1109/housing.html
    ...There were almost 1,000 cases of tenants being illegally evicted by landlords last year...

Seems like LL's aren't waiting for the PRTB/Court route, I've heard it takes 12 months or more, with the LL paying their own court costs, its probably cheaper to pay the fine, and re-rent the property. Cut their loss'es.

Legally he can't do this.
    However you are working, your husband has a few days work and you have not paid Dec rent nor are you going to pay January's ;)

As you are a new poster I would be very slow to tell you the legal ins and outs of this as I fear you will might take advantage of the situation and the landlord who seems to be the innocent party here.

Good to see the letting agent is handling it this way though in fairness to him, he may not be legally right but the Gardai won't give a fiddlers feck and rightfully so too.

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »

Can you pay some money to keep him happy for the moment? To show your good faith?

She has done nothing so far to show good faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Dunne.Drift

Get a family member to stay in the house & you go of to your local welfare reliving office & demand money from him! Dont leave because he has to once you have the right grounds to stand on. Im not going into detail but if your 100% legit, no money cant afford to live etc...

Get a family member to stay in the house & you go of to your local welfare reliving office & demand money from him! Dont leave because he has to once you have the right grounds to stand on. Im not going into detail but if your 100% legit, no money cant afford to live etc...

That would be a good idea if the money would be passed onto the landlord, however as the lady has mentioned she is working and so too is her husband this week I can't see the local welfare throwing (more) money at them.

OP are you / ye currently receiving social welfare ?

you can always stay and draw it out, saying you cannot afford rent but offer less money per month, by doing this, you would be able to stay on until he takes you to court which could be up to a year of tooing and froing, once you make an offer the ball is in your court, but by not even trying to pay, give off bad vibes, and make him angrier
    .............................................................you say your friend is minding your child tomorrow while you are away, well if he does try to throw them out he is in deep trouble, connot trow a child out on pavement , if he has any sense he will not even try

goat2 wrote: »
    you can always stay and draw it out, saying you cannot afford rent but offer less money per month, by doing this, you would be able to stay on until he takes you to court which could be up to a year of tooing and froing, once you make an offer the ball is in your court, but by not even trying to pay, give off bad vibes, and make him angrier
    .............................................................you say your friend is minding your child tomorrow while you are away, well if he does try to throw them out he is in deep trouble, connot trow a child out on pavement , if he has any sense he will not even try
    Constructive advice only please.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ok, we didnt pay the rent in for december because we couldnt afford it now Jans is due. ... we told our letting agent today as he texted us about Jans paymnt we advised him that we couldnt afford it any longer & we are moving out and will be out by nxt friday (15th) ... I will come home from work ... my husband has a few days work !!!
    So... you work, your husband has got some work... and you telling the agent that you have no money? Good riddance to you. I wish the landlord well.

the_syco wrote: »
    So... you work, your husband has got some work... and you telling the agent that you have no money? Good riddance to you. I wish the landlord well.

In fairness, we don't know all the circumstances. The OP has indicated that her husband is under-employed.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

Legally he can't just change the locks, you need to have gotten the notice in writing, but TBH the first thing you should be paying out every month from whatever income you have is your rent, not the last thing after all other expenses.

Even if you could have given a part payment you might have kept the agent onside and he might have been more amenable to giving you time to come up with the rest of what you owe.
    As it stands, I would be looking to move out to your mother's house ASAP, not on the 15th, to let the agent get on with trying to re-let the house and get paying tenants in, as they've lost out on 2 full month's rent, through no fault of their own.

Have someone be in the house tomorrow in case he comes round, and explain that you will be moving out this weekend, I am sure he will allow you a few days to get out of the house then.

Sorry to hear you are in difficulties, best of luck with your move.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Ok, we didnt pay the rent in for december because we couldnt afford it now Jans is due. We (me my husband and 3 yr old son) have decided we need to move out. we told our letting agent today as he texted us about Jans paymnt we advised him that we couldnt afford it any longer & we are moving out and will be out by nxt friday (15th) he is now advising if we dont pay the rent tomoro he will be around with a lock smith tomorrow at lunch (we already advised him we would be at work) !!!

ok so you havent paid rent owe him 2 months cash and are working but you come on here wanting to know where you stand.

your a leech and I for one wont give you any information to your rights because it seems to me all your trying to do is screw over your landlord.

D3PO wrote: »
    because it seems to me all your trying to do is screw over your landlord.

+ 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,248 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

i haven't even got money to go out on the piss anymore cos fianna fail expect me to spend it on rent and stupid things like that. It's a disgrace.

*posted from my iphone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

I never knew people who live under bridges had landlords, agents and lockable doors ;).

On the off chance that you are genuine-Canel the internet and pay your bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,648 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I'd wonder, given the protracted length that dispute takes with the PRTB, would it end up being cheaper for a landlord to illegally evict (change the locks) and go through proceedings, rather than wait months and months, not receiving rent, to go through a legal eviction.

Remembering that the court case may go in the landlord's favour anyway, or the fine may only amount to a few months missed rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

astrofool wrote: »
    I'd wonder, given the protracted length that dispute takes with the PRTB, would it end up being cheaper for a landlord to illegally evict (change the locks) and go through proceedings, rather than wait months and months, not receiving rent, to go through a legal eviction.

Remembering that the court case may go in the landlord's favour anyway, or the fine may only amount to a few months missed rent.
    I'd say it'll be going that way fairly soon. I'd also wonder what would happen if the landlord said that they would only be able to pay the courts fine at €200 a month, due to tenants not paying him their rent money?

astrofool wrote: »

Defo is. Someone decides not to pay their rent, stays put. Landlord raises matter with PRTB. After 12 months case is heard, tenant told to get out and pay the arrears, tenant claims they don't have the arrears, bla bla bka.

No win for the landlord really, get them out and change the locks is the only way. The letting agent here should be commended for handling it like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

No win for the landlord really, get them out and change the locks is the only way. The letting agent here should be commended for handling it like this.

And risk a fine and damages of 10,000 euros or more.
    Letting agent is absolutely out of order - he must follow the prescribed laws.

Agreed the LL is the loser here.
    Why do many tenants consider that rent is the last expense to be paid?

odds_on wrote: »
    And risk a fine and damages of 10,000 euros or more.
    Letting agent is absolutely out of order - he must follow the prescribed laws.

Agreed the LL is the loser here.
    Why do many tenants consider that rent is the last expense to be paid?

The reality is its still might be cheaper to change the locks. LL pays 10~12k in fines/comp etc., but LL can offset rent from new tenant from this. Which might be the bulk of it. Wait 12 months (maybe longer) for the PRTB and LL most likely will still pay court costs, and the tenant still might not move. How long before would it take sheriff? after all that? Then they'll disappear and LL gets nothing from them. The PRTB is broken. They should get tenants to pay the PRTB fees because the LL gets nothing out of it.

That said if the tenant moves outs in 2 months, with no damage, thats a good outcome. But they've no way of knowing this isn't another delaying tactic. Times are tough, I can appreciate that for tenants too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

goat2 wrote: »

I hate people like this that feel self entitled even though their not paying up..I would be ashamed at your attitude to the whole thing.You knew what you were getting yourself into when you singed the contract so live up to it,or move!
    So what if they have a child,if you cant afford it,move out and find a smaller place.thats not the LL fault.

Victor wrote: »
    Constructive advice only please.

constructive advice would be,..................... pay your bills....... you both work, have what you need and not what you want, that way your wages will go further

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Kimia wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

If the tenant is not paying rent, the 2004 Private Residential Tenancies Act still requires that a tenant is served with an eviction notice. If the landlord enters your house without your permission, locks you out by changing the locks, then he is liable for costs that you will incurr from the eviction.

What you need to do is to not fight this eviction. If he does what he is propsing, then the law is on your side and you can claim all the expenses. The PRTB lists hundreds of cases where landlords have illegally evicted tenants and have been forced to hand over thousands of Euro in costs to tenants - http://public.prtb.ie/disputes.htm

Your landlord is a bully, and is acting criminally. Do not let him walk over you!

Advertisement