Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord (letting agent) threatening to change locks

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭cancercowboy

delllat wrote: »
    the fact that a tenant can pretend to be an angel until they get the keys and then destroy the house /not pay rent / refuse to move etc is even more flawed because there is no protection for a landlord

It's a business, a landlord should be insured. Also, like I said above landlords should be protected against financial loss. If the tenant does these things they should be held accountable in court and have wages garnished until the damage is repaid.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

D3PO wrote: »
    ok so you havent paid rent owe him 2 months cash and are working but you come on here wanting to know where you stand.

your a leech and I for one wont give you any information to your rights because it seems to me all your trying to do is screw over your landlord.

Jesus this is a little extreme, the OP has freely admitted she is in difficulty and has sought advice on what i believe to be an inapproriate threat by the letting agents re the changing of locks. You seem to be suggesting all landlords are angels and they are clearly not. I accept the landlord has the right to seek an eviction order but it would appear they are seeking to fast track the eviction on the op which is without doubt illegal and may inact cost the landlord far more in the long term.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

It's a business, a landlord should be insured. Also, like I said above landlords should be protected against financial loss. If the tenant does these things they should be held accountable in court and have wages garnished until the damage is repaid.

it just doesnt happen though ,the tenants have little to lose and usually the landlord can potentially lose ,it will probably be like this for a long time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Is either possible?

Its different sides of the same problem. Its the law thats the problem, its so slow for either side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Still no sign of the OP :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

athtrasna wrote: »
    Still no sign of the OP :confused:

Maybe they decided to take some of the advice posted here, and look at paying the most necessary bills first - e.g. rent, ESB and Gas - and moving non-essential bills, such as internet, until they found themselves in a better position again (which is hopefully soon - it is not pleasant to be in a situation not to be able to afford rent).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

delllat wrote: »
    its up to lanlords to choose tenants carefully ,get references,hefty deposit and 1 if not 2 months rent in advance

i think its madness that landlords are giving the keys to young unemployed people without deposits or rent on the promise of a backdated R.A cheque a few months down the line

the system is wide open to abuse at the best of times ,i would leave a property empty before id give it away to someone who was a high risk candidate and also had no money

better an empty house, than a bad tenant

Advertisement