Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Switching from @googlemail to @gmail

• 06-01-2011 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

I'm not sure how or why but my gmail account is an @googlemail account. Both addresses (@googlemail and @gmail) work and I have my reply to address set to @gmail. However, the official 'from' address remains @googlemail. it seems crazy that I cant just change it. If anyone knows how I can change it (or why I cannot) please let me know.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Gruver wrote: »
    I'm not sure how or why but my gmail account is an @googlemail account. Both addresses (@googlemail and @gmail) work and I have my reply to address set to @gmail. However, the official 'from' address remains @googlemail. it seems crazy that I cant just change it. If anyone knows how I can change it (or why I cannot) please let me know.

What country did you specify as your home (Ireland, UK).

They lost a trademark court case in the UK over using gmail, and were forced to switch all UK users to ".googlemail.com".

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Gruver

I can't remember but if I had been presented with an option I would have chosen Ireland. Is there somewhere in the Settings menu where I can select my location?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

if you have a googlemail account odds are you actually registered your account on a UK IP address.

As GerardKeating said google lost a case before in the UK & Germany and had to change the name but in the past year or so this case has now been settled and gmail.com adderess can now be registered once again in the UK.

Anyway to change your from address to gmail.com do this :)

Try this first:
    - Login to gmail.com
    - Click settings
    - In the general tab select English (US) click save

- Also goto https://www.google.com/accounts/EditUserInfo
    - Make sure Ireland is selected and save
    - Log out and back into gmail and retest

and if it doesn't work follow the steps below

- Logins to gmail.com
    - Click Settings
    - Click Accounts & Imports
    - In the "Send E-Mail As" section click "Send e-mail from another address"
    - Enter your name and you@gmail.com in the box and click Next
    - Select "Send through Gmail (easier to set up)", click Next
    - Click "Send Verfication"
    - Check your e-mail and copy the code
    - Go back to the verification box and enter the code and verify
    - Go back to Accounts and Import in settings, click make default beside your @gmail.com address
    - Now select "Always reply from default address" under "When receiving a message:"

That should fix it for def :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Gruver

Many thanks.

I managed to change it succesfully.

I did as you suggested:
    - Logged in to gmail.com
    - Clicked Settings
    - Clicked Accounts & Imports

There I saw an option to switch from googlemail.com to gmail.com.

I'm not sure why I didn't see the option before as I did look for it.

I clicked on the link and I am now @gmail.com!

Thanks for help.

Advertisement