Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Otters in Donegal

Options
  • 06-01-2011 12:24am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Sorry this is a little off topic, although maybe not, but I figured it was as good a place as any to ask. Does anyone know if there's otters in Donegal anywhere? Anywhere that's good for spotting them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Above post moved from another thread where it was off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

Their more common than you would imagine. See link here

Johns Raffertys photos of the otter here on his website

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Wow 90% of waterways have otters. That's pretty good. Should see them most places then if you know what you're doing. Cheers for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I have seen them along in Foyle below Lifford and in the Finn behind McCumhaill Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭slimboyfat

Wow 90% of waterways have otters. That's pretty good. Should see them most places then if you know what you're doing. Cheers for that.

I know Duntally Wood near Creeslough is a good bet, I've seen them there, also very recently, Mulroy Bay, near the new bridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i ve seen one when cycling round lough eske

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

I've seen a few of them down at the inch wildlife reserve (farland back side) over the last 6 months or so, i was always told they were shy creatures, they weren't very shy when they realized that i had the dog with me!

Right, so pretty much anywhere there's water in Donegal :D

Thanks guys I'll keep an eye out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Right, so pretty much anywhere there's water in Donegal :D

Thanks guys I'll keep an eye out.

youll spot them at the last few pools of the crana river where it enters the lough at duskish around june/july, especially if the tide is running off these pools at that time, as they then pick up the trout that are left behind in small pools ...they arent shy and will often lie on their backs feeding while you watch from the bridge.;)

The crana river is in Buncrana..

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

The article above describes the otter as being shy but I remember my Dad telling me that an otter chased him in a field near the river one time. He was scared!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deer Hunter DL

seen them a few times in killybegs round the piers , and seen them a few times on the river eany while fishing , they can be a hard animal to spot but very nice to see them and lovely to watch

I'm trying to get some footage of them on film. I figured Donegal would be a good place to try and spot them. Seems I was right. :D

I feel like such a slut with all the thanks I've given out in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

Seen this fellow beside the house this evening and he wasn't waiting for his photo to be taken. Very surprised that he was only 50 yards from the house here and its really only a very small stream that he was using..

screen05jun160049.jpg

screen06jun160049.jpg

screen07jun160049.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

I used to seem them every summer in a wee burn between Drumoghill and Manor near an old flax mill - don't think the burn had a name(or I don't remember it - this was about 20 odd years ago!)),. Coming from a city I was in awe of them:)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 jar18

see them quite often between the old milford bakery and matt peoples petrol station on mulroy bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭mamakevf

Seen them in Gweedore, can't remember the name of the area but it's down on the shore past where the Dodge nightclub and golf club are.

Advertisement