Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom problems with third party modem/router

• 06-01-2011 12:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭

I'm having massive differences between my actual speed rating and the 'theoretical' speeds. I had planned on contacting eircom support however after looking at their website they don't appear to offer support on third party modems or routers. You can view my one here.

Here are a couple of screenshots from my router homepage:

internet1s.jpg

internet2i.jpg

I've tried changing the modulation but it makes no difference. I've also tried with a Belkin modem I had around but that didn't seem to help. I've been on eircom broadband for year so longer have the original modem supplied (it was a very old netopia one and I switched so I could get wireless).

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,444 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I'm having massive differences between my actual speed rating and the 'theoretical' speeds. I had planned on contacting eircom support however after looking at their website they don't appear to offer support on third party modems or routers. You can view my one here.

Here are a couple of screenshots from my router homepage:

I've tried changing the modulation but it makes no difference. I've also tried with a Belkin modem I had around but that didn't seem to help. I've been on eircom broadband for year so longer have the original modem supplied (it was a very old netopia one and I switched so I could get wireless).

You're set for a 2 meg package, though with that attenuation you won't get 7 megs anyway. What attenuation did the older modem report?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Spear wrote: »
    You're set for a 2 meg package, though with that attenuation you won't get 7 megs anyway. What attenuation did the older modem report?

+1. OP, you're on a 2Mb package.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Making It Bad

Spear wrote: »

According to my bill I'm on one of eircom's 'Next Generation Broadband' packages which are supposed to offer up to 8Mb but it's seems to be capped at 2Mb? My exchange was recently upgraded to this. Should I still ring support even though I have a third party modem?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

According to my bill I'm on one of eircom's 'Next Generation Broadband' packages which are supposed to offer up to 8Mb but it's seems to be capped at 2Mb? My exchange was recently upgraded to this. Should I still ring support even though I have a third party modem?

Don't mention the router and ask them what product you are supposed to be on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Making It Bad

I think they must have had it configured wrong, rang them up and speeds are a lot better now!

1102580798.png

• Advertisement
Advertisement