Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Facebook friend adder

Options
  • 06-01-2011 1:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi,

I need a facebook friend adder, which will automatically add people as friends on facebook. I need it to only add Irish users as I'm setting up an Irish business and would like to advertise it on Facebook.

I hope someone can either point me in the right direction or else develop something for me, it would be much appreciated.

Regards,
    John

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Wouldn't that be a form of spam almost? Pretty sure Facebook wouldn't allow it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Facebook is for friends, if you want advertisement pay for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 JohnRyan!

irish_goat wrote: »
    Wouldn't that be a form of spam almost? Pretty sure Facebook wouldn't allow it.

Not really, people can decline to accept you as a friend, to be spamming it would have to be constant, if someone declines you, you can't request them again. If it was used for something like posting or poking it would be a different story.

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Facebook is for friends, if you want advertisement pay for it.

I think most modern day businesses are actually on Facebook, with facebook actually supporting it, as you can create a business page and categorize it.

JohnRyan! wrote: »
    I think most modern day businesses are actually on Facebook, with facebook actually supporting it, as you can create a business page and categorize it.

Oh, well for a business page you don't add friends as such, people have to "like" it themselves. Which will then show up on there feed showing all there friends that they have "liked" it, good way to get it around if you took that route.

• Advertisement

Oh, well for a business page you don't add friends as such, people have to "like" it themselves. Which will then show up on there feed showing all there friends that they have "liked" it, good way to get it around if you took that route.

It is better to have it as a user though, because these days on facebook people are liking 10+ pages a day and if any more then 2-3 pages are liked it's displayed as "Jim likes getting his hair cut and 26 other pages" so you're business isn't really getting noticed that way unless you're lucky and you're page is the one that is displayed. Where as people don't get hundreds of friend request each day so most of the time all friends added will be displayed.

I have thought this out, if there was a better way I'd do it but really there isn't and to be honest it's not going to take much time off people as it takes 5-10 seconds to accept or decline someone on Facebook.

It is better to have it as a user though, because these days on facebook people are liking 10+ pages a day and if any more then 2-3 pages are liked it's displayed as "Jim likes getting his hair cut and 26 other pages" so you're business isn't really getting noticed that way unless you're lucky and you're page is the one that is displayed. Where as people don't get hundreds of friend request each day so most of the time all friends added will be displayed.

I have thought this out, if there was a better way I'd do it but really there isn't and to be honest it's not going to take much time off people as it takes 5-10 seconds to accept or decline someone on Facebook.

That's fair enough I suppose, I'm fairly sure they have a system in place that stops you adding a load of friends in a short space of time though.

That's fair enough I suppose, I'm fairly sure they have a system in place that stops you adding a load of friends in a short space of time though.

Just put a time delay in the code which I can tweak, or else do a random number generator in the code to change the time delay it adds someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Can I ask where the list of people to add is coming from? That's the real SPAM/Data Protection issue

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

There's apps like this out there already, however Facebook have put a stop to a couple of them.

The hard part is narrowing down the friends it ads to just Irish people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭swizzle123

Is it possible you know of people that are using facebook already? Then add them as friends and ask them to suggest you to all their friends!!! This way there are a number of people adding you!!!

Thats how my friend did it anyway!!!!! It worked!! Within days she had a few hundred!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Freddio

You could import an entire address book from hotmail, yahoo, gmail etc and invite them in one go

• Registered Users Posts: 10,624 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Takes 5-10 seconds to delete an email advertising Viagara too. It's spam either way

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Set up a product page and buy Facebook ads.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

28064212 wrote: »
    Takes 5-10 seconds to delete an email advertising Viagara too. It's spam either way

Ditto and I wouldn't appreciate any company doing it to me either.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 IrishCalypso

Ditto and I wouldn't appreciate any company doing it to me either.
    Setting up a profile for a business is against FB terms of use and an invasion of privacy - exploiting those that don't realise that they are giving people access to their information by adding them as a friend.
    I have reported several of these "Fake" profiles already and will continue to do so:

Report/Block User - Fake Profile - "does not represent a real person"!

Pages are for business - if you set up a profile its is Poor Facebook Etiquette and shows your lack of concern for others, why would anyone want to have anything to do with a business that does not care about its potential clients?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭JaneHudson

Why do businesses and clubs create fake personal profiles instead of using pages and groups? Is it just incompetence or is is just so they can then spam your page using the business name?
    I hate gaving to give them friend access when I don't even know the person running the page.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭mstester

Personally I would consider this as spam and if I recieved such a request I would report it.

But one way could be to automate what your trying to do in Selenium. i.e.

1) Login as a user who has x friends
    2) Navigate to the suggested friends page
    3) Click on each send friend request button

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

Sounds like a spam idea to me , destined to fail.

Advertisement