Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resits, subs and all that.

Options
  • 06-01-2011 2:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭

Just a quick question, I missed one of my exams because of something I couldn't help but it doesn't count as an extenuating circumstance :( so im 99.999% sure I failed the module as a result.

On the other hand, I think I did fairly well in my other exams so I'm just wondering how this substitution crack works? How well do I actually need to have done in order to substitute?

Also, when do the resits happen, August?

Thanks in advance ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

To compensate you need to have received an E grade in the module and have a GPA of over 2 I think.

UCD don't do summer resits, you do them when the module is offered next, so you could possibly be doing it in summer, if not, next Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

If you want to substitute, grade does not matter. But it does cost a lot more than a resit with the price varying from 350-1250e depending on your course.

As the other poster said, there are no August repeats, you simply repeat/resit the module/exam at the next sitting. A repeat / resit costs 230e.

Pass by compensation is when you get over 36.5% in an exam, and have already passed 75% of that years modules. I.e. If you fail at Xmas, you have to wait until the end of semester 2 to find out if you will get an E(c).

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭CrazyFish

I always taught it was anything over 30 percent can be compensated.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭jimmay

TheVoodoo wrote: »
    If you want to substitute, grade does not matter. But it does cost a lot more than a resit with the price varying from 350-1250e depending on your course.

As the other poster said, there are no August repeats, you simply repeat/resit the module/exam at the next sitting. A repeat / resit costs 230e.

Pass by compensation is when you get over 36.5% in an exam, and have already passed 75% of that years modules. I.e. If you fail at Xmas, you have to wait until the end of semester 2 to find out if you will get an E(c).

If that's the case then and they are not awarded an E(c) and they don't find out untill the end of the summer then it will be too late to take the repeat exam and/or study for it. Therefore that seems unlikely to be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

jimmay wrote: »
    If that's the case then and they are not awarded an E(c) and they don't find out untill the end of the summer then it will be too late to take the repeat exam and/or study for it. Therefore that seems unlikely to be the case.

I think thevoodoo is right. In arts anyway, second and third year is stage 2, if we fail a module in second year we have to wait until the end of third year to find out if we have compensated it. This is because compensation is worked out on the stage as a whole, where you have to pass 75% of the modules before you can receive an E(C) grade.

• Advertisement

You are given the option to accept a resit/repeat. You can turn it down in the hope of receiving an E(c) at the close of semester 2. Completely up to the individual student.

If it genuinely was a once off, the student would know that they more than likely won't fail again, or at least that would be the aim. So it's happens quite a lot where a student will turn down a repeat, in favor of waiting for an E(c).

And Kateos2 is right, in arts based courses the continuous stage 2 was introduced about 2 years ago, so year 2 and 3 are part of stage two, which lasts four semesters. Therefore students have 4 semesters to complete the 120 credits required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

You are given the option to accept a resit/repeat. You can turn it down in the hope of receiving an E(c) at the close of semester 2. Completely up to the individual student.

If it genuinely was a once off, the student would know that they more than likely won't fail again, or at least that would be the aim. So it's happens quite a lot where a student will turn down a repeat, in favor of waiting for an E(c).

Just to be sure, if I failed a module in semester 1 it is possible to resit the exam at the end of semester 2 if a semester 2 resit is offered, yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭*Hank Scorpio*

Just to be sure, if I failed a module in semester 1 it is possible to resit the exam at the end of semester 2 if a semester 2 resit is offered, yes?

I'd like to know as well. When looking at past papers on SIS for xmas i saw the same exam offered twice in many years, in sem 1 and then in sem2. Sem2 being the resit I presume as the modules were sem1 only.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

If a semester 2 resit is offered, then yes it is possible to resit the exam in May :)

I'v never come across another student who hasn't been offered a resit at the following exam sitting. Granted that the paper will be a reduced format of the original, they generally are never not offered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Gae

I'v never come across another student who hasn't been offered a resit at the following exam sitting. Granted that the paper will be a reduced format of the original, they generally are never not offered.

If the module is run in both semesters, you have to repeat the whole module (i.e. go to class, do the essays etc). If the module is not offered in the following semester, then a resit is offered (i.e. just an exam).

Advertisement