Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Prem manager to get sacked in the morning?

• 06-01-2011 2:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭

Tomorrow could be a bloodbath. :D Hodgson, Houllier, Grant and possibly even Ancelotti in severe danger of the sack.

Cue absolutely nothing happening

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

1. Hodgson
    2. Grant
    3. Ancelotti
    4. Houllier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I'll go with Houllier since he lost at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

none.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Not sure it'll be tomorrow but at least one of them will get the bullet very soon indeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭Malmedicine

Alan Pardew ! (Never know what Newcastle will do!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Was a special on SkyBet today, Hodgson, Grant, Ancelotti all to have left/sacked by their clubs by 1st Feb, was 12/1 at around 9.20 come 9.50 it was gone to 9/4, didn't get enough of a chance to register.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Houllier definitely wont be sacked. Hodgson has to receive the chairman's vote of confidence before he gets the sack. West Ham have had a couple of good results in the last fortnight, and they still have everything to play for so Grant certainly wont get the chop. Ancelotti is going nowhere either. If i had to pick one i would think it would be Hodgson, the other three are safe for the time-being.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Expecting to see Roy sacked when I wake up. Can't imagine Carlo will be gotten rid of although it has been a pretty shocking run in fairness. No reason to sack Grant. As another poster said he's had a decent run of results over the Christmas period.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Trhiggy83

Expecting to see Roy sacked when I wake up. Can't imagine Carlo will be gotten rid of although it has been a pretty shocking run in fairness. No reason to sack Grant. As another poster said he's had a decent run of results over the Christmas period.

Roy is gonna walk soon, but to be fair the team were rubbish before he joined.they should get martin o neill in, he does a great job wherever he goes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Bring me the head of Roy Hodgson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Poor Roy Hodgson........Dunno why he's been given as much stick as he is tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I know its nearly 9AM but I would say no one will be sacked, if iwas a gambling man I would take a punt on Houllier though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

kippy wrote: »

Your right. Halfway through the season and Liverpool are only 5 points off the bottom of the table (bottom of the table not the drop zone). He's done a wonderful job for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Whatever about the timeline, Hodgson will be the first out.

Mister men wrote: »
    Your right. Halfway through the season and Liverpool are only 5 points off the bottom of the table (bottom of the table not the drop zone). He's done a wonderful job for sure.

Theres a squad there of 25 odd players, some very highly paid players, who appear to have gotten away with very little criticism.

Not saying Hodgson is not totally faultless, but hes only been there a few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

it had better be Hodsgon.

i can't bear either the smugness, or plain ineptitude, any longer.

and bring Glen Johnson with you.

in all honesty, i believe it will be Hodgson out first; the only thing stopping it, i'd guess, is the quest to find a replacement.

Houllier won't go.

Grant, hmmm, before yesterday he was on a decent run.

Ancelotti will be gone, but only at the end of the season IMO. and funnily enough he's looking less and less like he'd care by the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Grant is safe according to the owners, assuming they are as good as their word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Theres a squad there of 25 odd players, some very highly paid players, who appear to have gotten away with very little criticism.

Not saying Hodgson is not totally faultless, but hes only been there a few months.

And what a few months it's been. Players are like kids they need guidence and by jesus Hodgson has failed bigtime to show them it. His tactics have been bewildering, his apparent strong point player management lol and as for his dealing with the fans.:pac:. The man is rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

SlickRic wrote: »
    it had better be Hodsgon.

i can't bear either the smugness, or plain ineptitude, any longer.

and bring Glen Johnson with you.

in all honesty, i believe it will be Hodgson out first; the only thing stopping it, i'd guess, is the quest to find a replacement.

Houllier won't go.

Grant, hmmm, before yesterday he was on a decent run.

Ancelotti will be gone, but only at the end of the season IMO. and funnily enough he's looking less and less like he'd care by the day.
    Seriously man, you say Houllier won't go and Hodgson should be first to go? Are you kidding? Aston Villa finished ahead of Liverpool last season and are in the relegation zone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

Exactly the man inherited a total mess! but has he made it worse?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

Liverpool "considering" Roy's future. He'll be gone by lunchtime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

mike65 wrote: »
    Grant is safe according to the owners, assuming they are as good as their word.

Someone mentioned on either another thread or maybe board that West Ham would have to pay Grant a few million to get rid of him and they can't afford it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Do you think it would have been worse under Benitez? I really don't think he'd have done as bad a job. The players are definitely underperforming, but when it's most of the team and not just one or two individuals, surely it's the manager that should be under the microscope.

And with regard to the time he's had, it's not much I admit. I wanted to keep him 'til the end of the season up until very recently. But when you look at managers like Ancelotti, Coyle and even Hodgson's counterpart last night, Kean, they didn't need a year in charge and half a new squad to get the team playing as well as they could.

Anyway, back on topic, I reckon Ancelotti will go before the end of the month. I think Hodgson will stay until after the United game, but go after that regardless of result. West Ham's owners are controlling, unpredictable types so it's hard to say what they'll do. Randy Lerner seems sensible enough. So I reckon:

1. Hodgson
    2. Ancelotti
    3. Grant
    4. Houlier (if at all)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

IITYWYBMAD wrote: »
    Liverpool "considering" Roy's future. He'll be gone by lunchtime.

I just said the same thing in the main LFC thread.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Seriously man, you say Houllier won't go and Hodgson should be first to go? Are you kidding? Aston Villa finished ahead of Liverpool last season and are in the relegation zone.

Houllier was Lerner's appointment.

Roy was not NESV's.

seriously man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Would have to be Hodgson to be first out of all the names mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭fkiely

matrim wrote: »
    Someone mentioned on either another thread or maybe board that West Ham would have to pay Grant a few million to get rid of him and they can't afford it.

From what I gather if we're bottom during January (which we are) there is a clause in his contract that means it can be cancelled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

SlickRic wrote: »
    Houllier was Lerner's appointment.

Roy was not NESV's.

seriously man.
    Point still stands that Villa finished ahead of you last season and are in the relegation zone with a game more played than Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

I'm sure a lot of potential suitors have been turned off Torres, for an experienced player so highly rated - and in terms of ability, rightly so - he's not somebody you'd want to turn to in a crisis, too busy feeling sorry for himself. That will influence a lot of managers imo, considering his high valuation.

I've been wondering something too...

Has Hodgson's downfall been due in part to his body language and the manner in which he speaks about Liverpool, his voice is bereft of the grandeur that I think Liverpool fans expect.

I'm not saying his tactics and transfers have been good, they clearly haven't, but have Liverpool fans been equally offended that he apparently, hasn't expected them to do better this season? He does seem quick to accept defeat in his interviews.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    Point still stands that Villa finished ahead of you last season and are in the relegation zone with a game more played than Liverpool.

ha, ok.

it stands, but it has nothing to do with what i said.

i just said Houllier won't go.

you can tell me the 'point still stands' all you like, my reasoning has nothing to do with your point.

both Hodgson and Houllier should be under pressure for their jobs at this IMO, and Houllier will be given a stay of execution IMO, because he was the owner's choice and Hodgson was not.

also, on a side point, in Houllier's favour is also the recent crippling injury list; whereas Hodgson has had a clean bill of health bar Gerrard for a month, during which we only missed 2/3 games or something because of the weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I don't think houllier will go either! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

I'd say Grant and Hodgson are most at risk.

Heskey was more to blame for the defeat than Houllier last night, and the Ancellotti thing is a bit more complex than the above two.

With Big Sam (and maybe Jol, but I hope he doesn't take it) available, Grant's days are numbered.

With O'Neill floating around, Hodgson's days are numbered.

But by God Liverpool's players need to take some responsibility. They were cat last night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    I don't think houllier will go either! :mad:

Just signed a player today too, looking highly unlikely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

looks like roys a gonner..............kenny daglish sharpening the knives..........bring back rafa........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Gerard Houllier reminds me of Jozef Venglos.

He turned a high-flying Villa team into relegation fodder over the course of a season then walked as they narrowly avoided the drop.

Unfortunately Houllier won't be sacked but I expect him to walk (or be pushed) in May.

• Advertisement

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Do you think it would have been worse under Benitez? I really don't think he'd have done as bad a job. The players are definitely underperforming, but when it's most of the team and not just one or two individuals, surely it's the manager that should be under the microscope.

And with regard to the time he's had, it's not much I admit. I wanted to keep him 'til the end of the season up until very recently. But when you look at managers like Ancelotti, Coyle and even Hodgson's counterpart last night, Kean, they didn't need a year in charge and half a new squad to get the team playing as well as they could.

Anyway, back on topic, I reckon Ancelotti will go before the end of the month. I think Hodgson will stay until after the United game, but go after that regardless of result. West Ham's owners are controlling, unpredictable types so it's hard to say what they'll do. Randy Lerner seems sensible enough. So I reckon:

1. Hodgson
    2. Ancelotti
    3. Grant
    4. Houlier (if at all)

The players need to be moved to performance based pay, would sort out a lot of the mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

markesmith wrote: »
    But by God Liverpool's players need to take some responsibility. They were cat last night!

Spot on, he can only work with what he has and with what they are willing to put in, of course he has made mistakes too but he took over a sinking ship and it looks from the outside that half the crew are incapable of rescuing it and the other half couldnt be arsed, whoever does take over this poisoned chalice is going to need to have a massive clearout and time and money.

Advertisement